Happy with the switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the Gen 3 for 2 weeks. Traded in a 2018 SCAB. Gen 3 feels like a Super Duty in comparison to my old truck. Haven't gotten offroad yet but on-road the Gen 3 is way more refined. Gen 2 felt like a sports car and the Gen 3 feels like an Escalade. I like the Gen 3 interior much much more. Its way more open but it adds to making it feel like a huge truck. The Gen 2 definitely felt more like a cockpit.
think the scab made a big difference,smaller,more agile,easy parking.
Sorry,no more..............

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted this a few months ago, but it all still holds true. In addition to the 5 Link and updated exhaust, I would add:

Wireless Carplay
Actual weather temperature readings on the infotainment screen whether using carplay or not. Temp also shows on the gauge screen
Ability to turn off heated steering wheel without using the infotainment screen (Only in a '21)
More Fordpass features
AC outlet in the bed
Adaptive headlights
Smoother shifting (Especially in sport mode)
More power. Not advertised, but definitely feels that way
Front parking sensors / more exterior camera views
Higher payload capacity
Damper adjustment on steering wheel
USB C outlets
Fold down shifter with flat workspace
Nifty second glovebox above the normal glovebox (daughter likes to make a snack pantry out of it)
Factory fog/driving lights (Admittedly not the brightest, but still come standard)
Last but not least, as you approach your Gen3, it turns on all kinds of lights to welcome you....if you choose to turn on that option.

What that is worth is subjective. If you can afford it and can get a deal on a Gen3, I don't see why you would pass it up. I would do it all over again.

Coming from a Gen 1, I feel it’s going to be an entirely new world. However, I did have a Gen 2 which was always broken. Went back to tried and true. Love my Gen 1 more than anything and won’t sell it until I’m thoroughly pleased with the Gen 3. Haven’t heard bad things yet!

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a Gen 2 for 4 years and I loved that truck (even with all the Gen 2 problems) but the Gen 3 is a much better more refined truck. The interior alone is just much better and feels worth the money. I alway felt the Gen 2 interior was too plasticy and not worth the premium price. Power wise it feels like a lighty tuned Gen 2 and does put it down better. The ride is better (not light years) and feels tighter. Looks are subjective but the Gen 2 fenders look better than the Gen 3 but everything else on the Gen 3 looks more updated. I would do it again just because I was able to drive both back to back and the Gen 3 just is much better overall.

Jax L

Reaction score
Gen 3 is a better truck. Cost more but a Gen 2 would cost more if sold new today also and the packages are "different"

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like some guy said on page one...

Just go to TORO, rent a GEN 3 for 3 days and then come back here and write up the experience.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a gen2 for 3 years and a Gen 3 for just over a year. Loved the Gen 2 but it was wild on the sidekick offroad (and even on road at times). I think this is what some are defining as fun. I get it. But the 5 link allows for more speed offroading for sure. In Baja mode really pushing the truck offroad the Gen3 shines. More immediate power, more stability, less backend kick. Gen 3 is more refined for sure.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 22 SCAB and love it! I treat it like gold since I’m sure there won’t be anymore SCABs made. Wish For would continue to make both…..

bp299

Reaction score
Depends on your use. If you offroad like I do, absolutely. I've been to the Assault for both Gen2 and 3 and that confirmed it for me. Nothing like running in Baja with that exhuast note howling at 60 mph across the desert and floating over stuff where normal trucks would get destoyed.
The newer tech is worth it for me also.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was in a jam when my 2018 Raptor got totaled in late 2020 & I had to replace it w/ something as it was in November w/ winter coming otherwise I would’ve taken more time to shop around & drove my vette in the meantime- obviously not possible in New England winters

At the time the manufacturers were all getting cocky w/ pricing b/c of the chip/supply chain issues & inventory was starting to get tight - didn’t look like the Gen3’s we’re gonna be coming soon enough for me to wait it out & I narrowed it down to either a new ‘20 Gen2, a diesel F250 Tremor (was just too much truck & not having 4a w/ that kinda TQ sucks), a TRX or literally get a $4-$5k beater to use until gen3 comes

I’m in the manufacturing biz & supply ford & others + OEMs w/ aluminum, have been to many of the plants, & communicate w/ some of the purchasing reps regularly. For me besides the wait what really turned me off from the gen3 was that I KNEW they were F’ing up across the board due to the “start stop” effect of Covid, supply chain squeezes forcing them to source parts from new sources that were necessarily vetted out, & not always having a full workforce. Add in to the fact there ALWAYS are more issues inherent to fresh design & I figured the “safer” bet was to stick w/ a tried & true design in the new 2020 Raptor I bought. If you look at the changes Ford made over the years to further refine the design & especially w/ the drivetrain- no more cam phaser issues, better trans programming, no plastic oil pan etc it really gave me confidence that the very late build 2020 I bought was about as good as it was gonna get in terms of quality control/reliability w/ the Gen2 Raptor. I knew I didn’t want a “Covid truck” if I could avoid it, so I did.

I’ve since driven a Gen3 & like alot about the interior, but that’s def more an “F150 generic” thing than Raptor specific of course. I’m not a big tech guy much more into functionality my ‘20 is 801a (or 800a?) has leather/heated seats & the bigger screen/DIC but regular switchblade key, no 360 camera, no pano roof etc- I’m big into the KISS principle esp for my DD & esp if I’m gonna be keeping for a lot of miles

There’s more power available down low in gen3 but that’s factory tuning adjustment b/c they don’t have to be concerned about idiots grenading the rear end w/ hard launches w/ the leafs. I have had both gen2’s tuned so that’s not a factor at all. That being said - the ride from the gen3 is a little better & handling seems a lil sharper in turns, I like the coil rear for sure & prefer it over leafs & I hope there’s an aftermarket option available to allow for lift/more payload/less sag towing. That + the pro power + the factory 37” option are the things that really attract me over a gen2 - one thing I’m personally convinced of though is that the Gen2 looks better/more badass/more distinct from standard F150 exterior-wise than the Gen3.

I would/will make the switch but it’s gonna be the same deal as w/ my 2020- I’m looking for whatever the last model year is gonna be for the gen3 once the inevitable kinks are worked out. Also won’t pay over sticker & annoyed ford raised the price up significantly just 2 years in!