Happy with the switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
5 link rear, big screen and exhaust … pretty big upgrades. But for me the 2019 i have feels timeless. Idk why… theres something about the cockpit. It throws aviation vibes. I’ve said it before , I’ll perhaps get a gen 3 someday. But I'm definitely not in a rush.

So you feel the GEN 2 feels more like a cockpit? Is that a good thing or bad?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really was against the Gen 3 at release, but man do I love my Gen 3 so far. The linked rear end is so much better now that I have real time behind the wheel with one. The exhaust is night and day better (which I didn't think was possible with V6). The infotainment is great a upgrade with better cameras all around and wireless Carplay. So far I am very pleased with my upgrade and am not looking back at all.

OP
OP
C

cstrickland

Reaction score
I really was against the Gen 3 at release, but man do I love my Gen 3 so far. The linked rear end is so much better now that I have real time behind the wheel with one. The exhaust is night and day better (which I didn't think was possible with V6). The infotainment is great a upgrade with better cameras all around and wireless Carplay. So far I am very pleased with my upgrade and am not looking back at all.
Glad to hear you like it! Thanks for your comment!

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
It feels like the Gen 3 is a totally different experience. Shifts smoother, sounds better, and the 5 link feels so planted and I am not getting any axle hop like in my Gen 2. I also love all the exhaust and suspension modes saved in the R button. The big screen is awesome and I love using the 360 degree camera pulling into tight spots. I loved my Gen 2 but the Gen 3 is so fun to drive. I am personally very satisfied with the truck, minus some lack of detail with the exterior condition. But nothing I couldn't clean up or fix.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Posted this a few months ago, but it all still holds true. In addition to the 5 Link and updated exhaust, I would add:

Wireless Carplay
Actual weather temperature readings on the infotainment screen whether using carplay or not. Temp also shows on the gauge screen
Ability to turn off heated steering wheel without using the infotainment screen (Only in a '21)
More Fordpass features
AC outlet in the bed
Adaptive headlights
Smoother shifting (Especially in sport mode)
More power. Not advertised, but definitely feels that way
Front parking sensors / more exterior camera views
Higher payload capacity
Damper adjustment on steering wheel
USB C outlets
Fold down shifter with flat workspace
Nifty second glovebox above the normal glovebox (daughter likes to make a snack pantry out of it)
Factory fog/driving lights (Admittedly not the brightest, but still come standard)
Last but not least, as you approach your Gen3, it turns on all kinds of lights to welcome you....if you choose to turn on that option.

What that is worth is subjective. If you can afford it and can get a deal on a Gen3, I don't see why you would pass it up. I would do it all over again.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As a gen3 owner...coming from a 21 F150 Tremor....coming from a 2020 1500 AT4 that was highly modded suspension wise. These are my thoughts...

The gen3 is incredible. The 5 link and interior are its biggest selling points... Its very very planted. Its not gonna get you in any trouble and you have to turn off all the electronic nannys to really have fun. I have driven many gen2 Raptor and they are a super fun truck... the rear leaf springs still let it feel like a truck. The gen3 is just so good.... maybe too good...too controlled.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drove my father's 2019 for a bit and got my 22 in June. It's pretty far ahead of the Gen 2 in all categories. Subjective to what it's worth spending, depending on your personal situation. I highly doubt anyone on this forum if you lined up the same color Gen 2 and Gen 3 and said choose one it's all yours that they pick the Gen 2.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Posted this a few months ago, but it all still holds true. In addition to the 5 Link and updated exhaust, I would add:

Wireless Carplay
Actual weather temperature readings on the infotainment screen whether using carplay or not. Temp also shows on the gauge screen
Ability to turn off heated steering wheel without using the infotainment screen (Only in a '21)
More Fordpass features
AC outlet in the bed
Adaptive headlights
Smoother shifting (Especially in sport mode)
More power. Not advertised, but definitely feels that way
Front parking sensors / more exterior camera views
Higher payload capacity
Damper adjustment on steering wheel
USB C outlets
Fold down shifter with flat workspace
Nifty second glovebox above the normal glovebox (daughter likes to make a snack pantry out of it)
Factory fog/driving lights (Admittedly not the brightest, but still come standard)
Last but not least, as you approach your Gen3, it turns on all kinds of lights to welcome you....if you choose to turn on that option.

What that is worth is subjective. If you can afford it and can get a deal on a Gen3, I don't see why you would pass it up. I would do it all over again.
Definitely…

Drove my father's 2019 for a bit and got my 22 in June. It's pretty far ahead of the Gen 2 in all categories. Subjective to what it's worth spending, depending on your personal situation. I highly doubt anyone on this forum if you lined up the same color Gen 2 and Gen 3 and said choose one it's all yours that they pick the Gen 2.
Most definitely!

MidnightSpecial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the Gen 3 for 2 weeks. Traded in a 2018 SCAB. Gen 3 feels like a Super Duty in comparison to my old truck. Haven't gotten offroad yet but on-road the Gen 3 is way more refined. Gen 2 felt like a sports car and the Gen 3 feels like an Escalade. I like the Gen 3 interior much much more. Its way more open but it adds to making it feel like a huge truck. The Gen 2 definitely felt more like a cockpit.