Anyone switch from 3/4 ton (super duty, HD...)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgordon

Reaction score
I tow my 23ft. Malibu boat no problem. All in with gear, fuel & bodies in the cab you're maxing out at the 8K. Farthest I have towed is 4 hours & pulled the Cuesta grade in CA. The only time it felt a little dicey was on the way home taking the grade downhill, little sway in the trailer. For hitting the local lake an hour away cruising the highway is a piece of cake. Squat isn't terrible, I have a 37PP. Haven't looked back since trading in my carli superduty. Hope it helps...!

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If. Had a do over, I would definitely buy a super duty. I do not tow anything, I think it looks better

dfw62

Reaction score
As long as you stay within reason which for me is 600# tongue and 5500# trailer the Gen 3 Raptor is an awesome tow vehicle provided you also add the Air Lift 1000 bags to eliminate the squat and use a decent WD hitch. I use an Andersen WD hitch as it performs well and is the lightest option I could find. My prior tow vehicle was a 2004 Ford 6.0L Diesel Excursion and while it could tow more the ride left a lot to be desired. Plus the Raptor is way more fun as my daily driver.

You have to keep in mind that even though they say the Gen 3 Raptor can tow 8200# this number gets reduced as passengers and gear are added to the truck and the payload decreases. As an example my truck's payload rating is 1214#, if my passengers and gear (including my WD Hitch) weigh 600#, I'm left with 614# that can be on the hitch. Since you need 10 - 15% of the trailer weight on the ball to prevent sway using 10% as the minimum this limits the trailer to 6140#, not the 8200# generically stated by Ford. The FordPass App has a towing calculator that is super easy to use to do these calculations. Also, keep in mind the Gen 3 Raptor is limited to 820# on the ball with a WD hitch and 500# without WD (max trailer 5000#). Another interesting limitation is a conventional travel trailer frontal area limit of 60 sq ft for all F150's with tow ratings 7701# and above. My Winnebago Micro Minnie TT at 7' wide with a 7.5' tall box is only 52.5 sq ft of frontal area. Most full size travel trailers exceed the 60 sq ft limit. Ford doesn't say you can't exceed this limit just that it will significantly reduce the performance of your tow vehicle if you do.

Attachments

• Raptor with camper.jpg
    Raptor with camper.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: