four wheel drive slip and klunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the vacuum is not releasing. Mine did it to night at a stop but the truck had not run very long I backed in to a snow bank put it in and grind took it out put it in and fine.
You probably need new springs they must be week every thing about the 4x4 is week sad.

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lemon law - I documented a gear oil leak on my wife's Pontiac solstice & after the third attempt failed to fix the problem, they paid off the car, refunded any money I had spent on the car/rentals. They were shocked when I pulled into the dealership, handed them the keys & told them I was done. They did offer to give full credit on a newer model, but I was too disgusted with the experience.

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the service writer with me to a muddy hill climb on the first test drive after installing the new transfer case and IWEs. Stayed engaged for about 5 seconds then came out completely and ground until I stopped the rear wheels from spinning. Put in another set of IWE and fixed nothing. Disconnected vacuum lines, seems good.

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, the dealer finally found that it was a cracked IWE. That was the first thing I told them to check and they said they couldn't find anything... overall it was a good experience. I still had my snoball500 placards on, the truck was covered in mud, and not once did they say anything about my aftermarket suspension. All covered under warranty.

I was going to have them replace the other IWE, but they said they would leave the ticket open to ensure all was fixed. $230 to replace if I asked them to.

So far, I've gotten my driver's side axle replaced, and now my passenger's side IWE. Other than jumping the truck, I beat on this one no harder than my old Z71. I hate feeling like I can't trust my 4x4 system. I don't even engage it unless I'm going slower than 5 MPH.

GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF YOU!

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A couple of other things that will help which totally defeat shift on the fly.

Always start and let truck warm up before taking off.. This will allow the hubs to fully retract to 2wd if the vacuum bleeds off over night..

If possible stop before shifting into 4wd and wait a couple of seconds before taking off.. Roll or drive forward slowly to make sure teeth are fully engaged before hammering on it.

When shifting out of 4wd, come to a stop and wait a couple of seconds for the hub to retract.. Again roll or drive off slowly to make sure hubs are retracted before hammering it..

Check the lines on the hubs before and after 4 wheeling.. Make sure they are firmly seated on the hub, and check to see if there are any foreign objects stuck around lines.

Make sure vent ends of hoses are clear of mud/water and other crap, so it doesn't get sucked into the system..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A couple of other things that will help which totally defeat shift on the fly.

Always start and let truck warm up before taking off.. This will allow the hubs to fully retract to 2wd if the vacuum bleeds off over night..

If possible stop before shifting into 4wd and wait a couple of seconds before taking off.. Roll or drive forward slowly to make sure teeth are fully engaged before hammering on it.

When shifting out of 4wd, come to a stop and wait a couple of seconds for the hub to retract.. Again roll or drive off slowly to make sure hubs are retracted before hammering it..

Check the lines on the hubs before and after 4 wheeling.. Make sure they are firmly seated on the hub, and check to see if there are any foreign objects stuck around lines.

Make sure vent ends of hoses are clear of mud/water and other crap, so it doesn't get sucked into the system..

To add to that just because I'm kinda old school is when shifting in or out of 4x4 I put it in drive forward then back to reverse then back in drive to go forward. That way if you are stuck you give the system a way to unbind itself either locking in or out. The gears have to slip in and out and if they only get half way in or out BAM your ***** broke. Just anything to help get these gears fully seated in or out by slacking the drive train not only in a forward direction but a reverse direction as well.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To add to that just because I'm kinda old school is when shifting in or out of 4x4 I put it in drive forward then back to reverse then back in drive to go forward. That way if you are stuck you give the system a way to unbind itself either locking in or out. The gears have to slip in and out and if they only get half way in or out BAM your ***** broke. Just anything to help get these gears fully seated in or out by slacking the drive train not only in a forward direction but a reverse direction as well.

Excellent point...