four wheel drive slip and klunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
okay here are some pictures of the vacuum 4wd system on the Ford Raptor..

This is a picture of the wheel hub/IWE.. the arrow points to the vacuum lines that attach to the hub..
iwevaclines.jpg

This is a picture of the IWE vent opening on the driverside.. NOTICE the opening in the tube that can become clogged with dirt/mud...

iwevent.jpg

This is the main vacuum line to the IWE system running from the brake booster to a tee and then to both front wheels...

iwemainvac.jpg

The red arrow number 1 is the vacuum control for the 4WD drive system..
Arrow #2 Is the IWE vacuum check valve
Arrow #3 is the main vacuum line running to front hubs.. It is the same one in the above picture..
iwecontrol.jpg

I hope that these pictures help understanding the vacuum system on the IWE... IMO it is a cheesy system, and in need of upgrading!!

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had mine checked out today for the same thing and turns out the right front vacuum line was molded wrong or something and has a blockage inside... My truck was built in the beginning of April. It might be worth checking into

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Awesome write-up Greg!
This will definitely be handy info for those of us old school people that are used to getting out and manually locking the hubs...

All this damn electronic crap, I'm keepin my old truck with manual locking hubs where I gotta get out and turn the knob. I know it's in, I know it's out !

I Got a 4x2, 4x4 hi, 4x4 low shift in the floor. That's how I like it !

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone still following this thread? My 2012 Raptor is grinding when shifting to 4x4 at any speed, except stopped. The grinding never stops. If I get in 4 hi from a stop, the 4x4 works perfectly with no noise.

Ford has replaced the vacuum system on both sides and today they replaced the transfer case. The problem is still there and they are stumped. Help!!

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had more slip and klunck...
Dropped it at the dealership tonight. We'll see what happens. My money is on cracked IWE.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

Anyone still following this thread? My 2012 Raptor is grinding when shifting to 4x4 at any speed, except stopped. The grinding never stops. If I get in 4 hi from a stop, the 4x4 works perfectly with no noise.

Ford has replaced the vacuum system on both sides and today they replaced the transfer case. The problem is still there and they are stumped. Help!!

Have them replace the IWE.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will contact the dealer tomorrow and ask them about the IWE.

Side Note:

Ford tried fixing the problem a few days ago, but decided they needed a new transfer case. They gave me back the truck until the parts arrived. Two days later, on my way home from work, my front driver's side wheel came off my truck, shoved itself into the wheel well, and smashed the axle into the ground. The mechanic who removed my front wheel only properly tightened two lug nuts with a wrench and hand tightened the rest.

My Method Racing wheel is screwed, my lug bolts are screwed and three are sheared off, my lug nuts are ALL missing, my front brake is damaged, the wheel well and fender are likely damaged, my alignment is probably whacked, and the axle took damage. It's also possible the air intake is damaged if the tire shoved up high enough into the wheel well. The inside tire sidewall has a three inch tear.

I was so f'ing pissed I couldn't see straight. The dealer took full responsibility and everything has been fixed/replaced (except the original 4x4 grinding noise).

Fortunately I was going about 2 mph when it fell off, about 50 feet from my garage.