four wheel drive slip and klunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the transfer case. Mine was just replaced for the same problem with no improvements. Also replaced both iwe and the vacuum harness. Don't know where else to turn so I am currently running it with no vacuum lines attached to the hubs.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
its a ******** disease, theres like a thread a day about peoples stuff breaking

iwe needs to be resolved soon..

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It felt like during svt thingie.. They knew there is an issue with iwe and torsen.. The statement that i keep hearing "you can only beef up things so much" to means we know about it and don't know how to fix it without redesigning everything.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will contact the dealer tomorrow and ask them about the IWE.

Side Note:

Ford tried fixing the problem a few days ago, but decided they needed a new transfer case. They gave me back the truck until the parts arrived. Two days later, on my way home from work, my front driver's side wheel came off my truck, shoved itself into the wheel well, and smashed the axle into the ground. The mechanic who removed my front wheel only properly tightened two lug nuts with a wrench and hand tightened the rest.

My Method Racing wheel is screwed, my lug bolts are screwed and three are sheared off, my lug nuts are ALL missing, my front brake is damaged, the wheel well and fender are likely damaged, my alignment is probably whacked, and the axle took damage. It's also possible the air intake is damaged if the tire shoved up high enough into the wheel well. The inside tire sidewall has a three inch tear.

I was so f'ing pissed I couldn't see straight. The dealer took full responsibility and everything has been fixed/replaced (except the original 4x4 grinding noise).

Fortunately I was going about 2 mph when it fell off, about 50 feet from my garage.

You should get free oil changes for life! You can tell what happened by your story, but still no excuses.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not the transfer case. Mine was just replaced for the same problem with no improvements. Also replaced both iwe and the vacuum harness. Don't know where else to turn so I am currently running it with no vacuum lines attached to the hubs.

did they replace the vacuum lines? pin hole and the IWE don't stay locked together.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pin hole will cause loss of vacuum and the hubs to slowly engage 4wd (grinding followed by bang) and staying locked in 4wd until next restart. Then the locking collar will be pulled back into 2wd, and then slowly release again grinding and pop.. This cycle will continue until the leading edge of locking ring is worn and then you will get ratcheting sound as teeth override each other.. Then no 4wd at all..

What happens at dealership.. Tech drives Raptor and the IWE does not bleed down during test drive. Brings it back and shuts the truck off and reports nothing found. The service writer drives the Raptor and nothing happens and brings it back and calls customer.. Customer picks up Raptor and drives home and the longer drive allows the IWE to bleed off and bang. (this has happened twice to me.. Two different dealerships)

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer has had my truck for 7 days total now. They replaced my IWEs, my transfer case, and today they said they knew the problem!! It was a wire, but they didn't know which one (I was guessing it might be related to the solenoid). Ford Hotline told them it had to be "this" wire. I was excited. Five hours later they call and say it didn't fix the problem and they are still stumped.

The dealer was smart enough to thoroughly test drive after each fix attempt. They said it worked fine the first four times they engaged 4x4 Hi, but on the fifth try it was grinding again. They ordered another new part today - I was so numb I don't even remember what part they ordered. At least they are experiencing the problem and know something is wrong!

To clarify my issue:

I can engage my 4wd Hi if I'm stopped (or even less than 5 mph). I can drive in 4wd with no issue and disengage at any time at any speed.

If I engage 4wd at any speed higher than 5 mph, I get the grinding noise in the front end. The noise continues as long as I stay in 4wd, but I can switch back to 2wd and the noise is gone.

Hopefully at some point they just order me a 2013 to replace my 2012.