Ford Raptor R vs Ram TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I ever get my 22 delivered , never ordering again . If it’s not on the lot , not buying ! This crazy situation has to end at some point ?

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a Gen 2, a Gen 3, and just picked up a TRX two weeks ago. It’s a whale of a truck, really incredible. I wanted a bad v8 before they cease to be manufactured, and was concerned that I wouldnt be able to get a Raptor R. The experience between the two is like two sides of the same coin. Driving the TRX is like strapping yourself to a leather wrapped missile. Driving the Gen 3 Raptor, it lacks the power, but it’s more intuitive, the ride is more comfortable, handling is better…it’s like being one with an off-road instrument. The only thing I felt the Raptor was missing was a bit more power…and some quirks with the ten speed they need to work out.

I’m enjoying the TRX experience, hellcat and the 8 spd are great….but if Ford makes more than a few of the Raptor R….and a msrp fully loaded of under 100k, there will be no contest.

The comment about interiors….Gen 3 interior is awesome, very sporty and kinda futuristic. TRX interior is really nice too, luxury with a sport vibe (I prefer the Gen 3, raptor seats are way more comfortable). GM interior being a competitor/better than either Ford or Ram though is laughable.

Parappa The Rapta

Reaction score
I’ve had a Gen 2, a Gen 3, and just picked up a TRX two weeks ago. It’s a whale of a truck, really incredible. I wanted a bad v8 before they cease to be manufactured, and was concerned that I wouldnt be able to get a Raptor R. The experience between the two is like two sides of the same coin. Driving the TRX is like strapping yourself to a leather wrapped missile. Driving the Gen 3 Raptor, it lacks the power, but it’s more intuitive, the ride is more comfortable, handling is better…it’s like being one with an off-road instrument. The only thing I felt the Raptor was missing was a bit more power…and some quirks with the ten speed they need to work out.

I’m enjoying the TRX experience, hellcat and the 8 spd are great….but if Ford makes more than a few of the Raptor R….and a msrp fully loaded of under 100k, there will be no contest.

The comment about interiors….Gen 3 interior is awesome, very sporty and kinda futuristic. TRX interior is really nice too, luxury with a sport vibe (I prefer the Gen 3, raptor seats are way more comfortable). GM interior being a competitor/better than either Ford or Ram though is laughable.
May want to take a peak at the new GMC/Chevy quarter ton interiors.. definitely nicer and every review I've read seems to agree whole heartedly. You're likely thinking of their old interior they had before their refresh. Ford is too busy taking features out...

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Ford gets the Raptor R out in any volume, I’m predicting the cost of a TRX will become a bit lower and will almost be like the bargain truck in comparison. Not degrading the TRX as it has a lot to offer plain and simple. But Raptor has a name and Raptor may be reborn basically. People will surely buy back in and Ford has to know it.
I would consider buying back in, I loved the Gen 1 Raptor but could never get used to that V6 in the Gen 2. What I'm most interested in seeing with the R is how they get the power down with rear-wheel drive and if they upgraded the suspension.

Last edited:

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May want to take a peak at the new GMC/Chevy quarter ton interiors.. definitely nicer and every review I've read seems to agree whole heartedly. You're likely thinking of their old interior they had before their refresh. Ford is too busy taking features out...

I check in on GM trucks every 2-3 years, mainly because I really like their exterior designs. The most recent GM experience I had was a week with a 2021 Denali Yukon. I was underwhelmed to say the least. Loads of hard plastic surfaces and cheap feeling materials. Heads up display and touch screen were extremely buggy. I’ve always thought the GM exteriors were really attractive, but the in-cabin experience hasn’t impressed me since 2008/9.

I’ll check out some of the ‘22 reviews. Certainly hope you’re right and they are beginning to become more competitive and current. Competition from each of the big three would benefit everyone.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been holding out on trading in my 2019 Gen 2, patiently waiting for the R to go on sale. I’m sure the initial markups will be bananas and I’m in no rush. What I would never trade my Raptor in for is The TRX. Everyone has their opinion on Manufacturers and I respect that; if you are a fan of Dodge that’s your daily not mine so have at it and enjoy. In my eyes Dodge has always followed the same principle… take a mediocre at best product, stuff a more powerful engine into it, and put it out for consumers to enjoy in the short term. From the Dodge Neon SRt4 to the Ram Srt10 and most recent hellcat versions of the charger and challenger…at the end of the day it’s still a Dodge. Notorious for interiors made from the cheapest of materials, faulty transmissions, engine brackets that break regularly across their entire line of vehicles. And I speak from first hand experience. Working in law enforcement I was assigned 5 chargers in total starting with the 6th Gen to the 7th Gen before the cost of repairs became so astronomical and frequent that the agency switched back to Ford. 3/5 were brand new. You name it it happened. From mechanical failures and snapped engine brackets to your dash and trim peeling…we even had several new chargers completely dying upon heavy acceleration in pursuits. we saw it all across the fleet. Were they fast? Absolutely. But in the private market what good is spending 70-90k on something fast that’ll last you a short period of time. I’m just not convinced that the TRX is any different from the usual specialty vehicle Dodge puts out. They set out to “beat” the Raptor. They took a Ram 1500, stuffed it with aftermarket parts, made sure the numbers were higher than the Raptor and slapped an 80k+ sticker price on it instead of developing something new that is actually capable of matching or beating the Raptor in its off road capabilities which was at the core of the Raptors development. Anyone here who has put their Raptors through the paces it was meant to out in places like Moab knows that a figure like 702hp is meaningless when it comes to off-road maneuvering and ascending/descending trails. Sure you wanna open her up and fly down the salt flats let your 702 hp rip. Just always remember that the rest of what you are driving is liable to leave you stranded sooner rather than later. If I was interested in a straight line truck there’s always the F150 Super Snake. My 2019 Gen 2 has 52k miles on it currently and it’s never once had me second guessing choosing a Raptor. But again… to each his own. That’s my rant lol hope you guys are well and safe and, if you went the TRX route, I hope I’m wrong and you enjoy it for a long time to come. See ya out there.
I haven't tested my TRX off-road like I did my Raptors, but I expect it to be similar to the stock Gen 1. Do yourself a favor and drive or ride in a TRX, it's a great truck! It's my third Dodge product with my most recent being a Gen 5 Viper. The TRX interior reminds me of the Viper interior.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would consider buying back in, I loved the Gen 1 Raptor but could never get used to that V6 in the Gen 2. What I'm most interested in seeing with the R is how they get the power down with rear-wheel drive and if they upgraded the suspension.
Ford knows Raptor people want to retain 2WD functionality. Ford must know running full time in 4A eats more fuel and increases wear and tear on the front components when there in constant use. Now can Ford really get the R to decently hook up in 2WD? Or do they have to run the truck in full time 4A and bite that bullet too. Doesn’t the TRX use an LSD up front? I know the Raptor uses the Torsen for more bite up front, but on road it does let itself be felt and not always in the best ways.

Front springs will have to be heavier to compensate for the weight of the engine and maybe the shocks valving is reworked as well.

Out rear I’m curious if Ford upgrades the entire axle or let’s the current one fly or just upgrades the internals. They may very well beef up the trailing arms.

But we all know the Gen 3 already has a great suspension. So I wouldn’t imagine any major updates other than what is needed to compensate for the engine, etc. Sure some fancy coil overs up front and external reservoirs front and rear would be interesting, but that sounds like it may push the price up even further and complicate the design. I can see this if the trucks really a low volume vehicle, but probably not if it’s produced any significant amount.

Will the truck have a 42 gallon tank? Off road blue cruise? A built in pneumatic source? Seat massagers? Lol Let’s watch tomorrow.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t understand the enthusiasm here. Announcement is tomorrow. Press mules won’t be ready until November-December, best case. Celebrity purchased trucks - Leno, etc. Spring ’23, remaining to be trickled out later in the year ( the year 2028 if things go as they have been ). Think 4th quarter.

You can -HAVE- a TRX in a few weeks to a couple months.
You cannot take possession of a Raptor in a time factor of 10 that you can have TRX in.