Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
In the middle of raising to the middle perch and I can't get the damn lower shock nut off.

The bolt head is 1 1/16 but the nut is just barely bigger than 1 1/8 so I can't use my impact sockets. Must be a metric mother ******.

Any suggestions?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sucks man! I don't know how I did mine, I just used the tools that were available in the Auto Hobby Shop on base and lots of air. That thing was a bitch.

fordandchevyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why are you taking the shock out. you don't have to do that. stop wasting your time with that. Here is what you have to do. First go to auto-zone or advanced auto parts i prefer auto-zone. rent for free their McPherson strut compressors 2.(you will need 3 compressors) you will need 2 jacks. remove tire, support the frame of the truck just on the flat even part of the truck(just behind the drives side wheel. lift it up one side only at a time. then use the second jack and install it under lower control arm. jack up the control arm until all the weight is on that jack, and the spring is semi compressed.(note. the other jack holding up the truck will be off the frame) install the spring compressors. i used 3 for saftey. compress the spring as much as it will go but be carefull it is very dangerous, so be safe about it. install a ratchet strap to the spring and tie it off to the shox tower, SLOWLY let the jack down in the control arm until it is safely all the way down. make sure the spring compressors are holding. take a rubber hammer and thunk the blue collar up (mine was a bitch) until you can see the ring of the middle perch. then slide the clip ring up. After that is complete use the jack to raise the control arm until it supports the weight. Then remove slowly the compressors. and your done with the first side. don't forget the alignment when you completed. good luck and hit me up if you need anymore info. the only reason i could see you taking it out would if you were using a wall mounted spring compressor or a calm style compressor. you can do it easier with it in the truck.

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Son of a #@#$*!!!! Where were you the other day when I asked this question? Well before I saw your post I got the lower shock bolt off so all I lack is the upper.

So I guess I'm going to push on with this side since I'm almost done.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried that shit for about 30 seconds with the shock on the truck. For me, it was MUCH easier to remove the entire thing.

Rat

Reaction score
Ford and Chevy man Great rescue ! would you use this method on the top perch ? And great advice on using 3 spring clamps
Maco let us know if you do it the other way on the other side, what you think is best. Thanks

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only truck I have ever used English sockets on is my 76 Scout.... I think everything is metric now

fordandchevyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swoop1156. i had an older f150 and i installed spring spacers with the shock out. i didn't like having to disconnect the tie rod. but everyone has their own ways.

*EDIT* Sorry fordandchevyman, I accidently edited your post here when I thought I was making a post.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
why are you taking the shock out. you don't have to do that. stop wasting your time with that. Here is what you have to do. First go to auto-zone or advanced auto parts i prefer auto-zone. rent for free their McPherson strut compressors 2.(you will need 3 compressors) you will need 2 jacks. remove tire, support the frame of the truck just on the flat even part of the truck(just behind the drives side wheel. lift it up one side only at a time. then use the second jack and install it under lower control arm. jack up the control arm until all the weight is on that jack, and the spring is semi compressed.(note. the other jack holding up the truck will be off the frame) install the spring compressors. i used 3 for saftey. compress the spring as much as it will go but be carefull it is very dangerous, so be safe about it. install a ratchet strap to the spring and tie it off to the shox tower, SLOWLY let the jack down in the control arm until it is safely all the way down. make sure the spring compressors are holding. take a rubber hammer and thunk the blue collar up (mine was a bitch) until you can see the ring of the middle perch. then slide the clip ring up. After that is complete use the jack to raise the control arm until it supports the weight. Then remove slowly the compressors. and your done with the first side. don't forget the alignment when you completed. good luck and hit me up if you need anymore info. the only reason i could see you taking it out would if you were using a wall mounted spring compressor or a calm style compressor. you can do it easier with it in the truck.

this sounds a lot more easy than it is and is not safe. you might be the pro, but this lowly forum administrator had the shock out in 5 minutes. it was a hell of a lot quicker and safer than dicking around with 2 floor jacks(who has 2 floor jacks laying around?)

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I would much rather undo a simple tie rod from the spindle than risk that spring coming undone, especially if it's going to the top perch. It's way easy and safer to just remove the shock from the truck. By the way Madcowranch, that lower nut/bolt has a TQ spec of 406 lb/ft.