Does the Cam Phaser recall now cover every year of the Gen2 (2017-20), and beyond?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne
Yes, we all know that there are 2 generations of ecoboost. You never understand what I post, and always try to paint me as someone I am not. I am fed up with your pompous, arrogant unhelpful attitude. You are not in any way helpful with rose tinted ecoboost cult goggles on.
To your question - yes indeed cam phasers are related to timing chain stretch in gen 1 ecoboost engines

I trust this fordtech^^^^^

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The real question is if you absolutely have to buy another vehicle right now. Nothing is a good deal, and people buying now will lose a ton for resale. This f’ed up market is short term. In a year, it will be much different… and in 2yrs, the mega depression will hit. That’s when you buy.
As to your initial point, yep, the cam phaser issue was across all the 3.5 applications. It was definitely not a bad batch of parts since new part numbers were made for the new design. I won’t be sold on that being a true fix until there is at least 3yrs worth of use/no issues. This problem was exhibited on the previous generation of 3.5 ecoboost, but was more catastrophic to the point of stretching timing chains. The plethora of TSBs in that gen of 3.5 ecoboost (2010-2017 I believe) for timing components was pretty bad. Hopefully this new design works out.

Now I am concerned. Thank you for the input. Do you recommend pulling the phasers and bench testing them while I'm in garage testing if my injectors still squirt round shapes?

My Saturday just went to Hell.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne
Yes, we all know that there are 2 generations of ecoboost. You never understand what I post, and always try to paint me as someone I am not. I am fed up with your pompous, arrogant unhelpful attitude. You are not in any way helpful with rose tinted ecoboost cult goggles on.
To your question - yes indeed cam phasers are related to timing chain stretch in gen 1 ecoboost engines

I trust this fordtech^^^^^
You’re really earning your YouTube Certified Mechanic patch today Kuan.

Nobody “understands what you post” because it’s all BS and misinformation. You have zero idea what you’re talking about, yet you feel it necessary to interject yourself into every Gen 2 thread to derail the conversation with your inaccurate nonsense. You just derailed the Gen 2 high mileage thread with a rant about EcoBoost engines and went into your usual babbling about the 6.2, which had nothing to do with the topic. That’s called trolling.

As far as Gen 1 EcoBoost engines, the cam phasers aren’t the cause of timing chain stretch. The TSB directs to replace all of the timing drive components because they will become worn due to the elongated timing chain links.

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TSB cutoff was 11/19 as previously mentioned, that’s when new parts and calibration went into production. Well over 2 years ago. The recall was issued last summer, 07/21, not 2022.
FTOne...thanks...what I am talking about are entries like this from CarFax...2020 F150 Limited, build date appears to be just inside the cutoff, Program #21N03 for Cam Phasers issued here in November of '21, and I have seen it as late as Feb of '22 on these reports. What is this? I really don't want to buy another truck and then have to schedule it for a week of repairs whenever it can be done. And when this started happening originally, I really don't remember folks saying it was expected to go through 2020 models, at all.

Attachments

• 2020CamP1.jpg
    2020CamP1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 2020CamP2.jpg
    2020CamP2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ANY German car out of warranty is a lesson in check book drainage. I have 2 vw's and a Porsche right now, and along with my past Audi's, the cost per mile of ownership is just way higher than American cars.
Yes, I should have remembered that from an X5 4.4i Sport I had years ago that got out of warranty, but this car had a 10yr/120K extended warranty from BMW on the most troublesome areas, plus major repairs to those problem areas with the new/improved parts done by an M Certified Delaership, with a 2yr/24K warranty within 6 months of purchase. Looked as clean/"safe" as it could, and then a guy in a Suburban backed into me hard in traffic trying to go around a garbage truck in October and all hell broke loose. I still should have bought a good 3rd party warranty given the short time I planned on having it. I am now hoping the cloned DME I had to buy will go in tomorrow, and and I can get it back/get rid of it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FTOne...thanks...what I am talking about are entries like this from CarFax...2020 F150 Limited, build date appears to be just inside the cutoff, Program #21N03 for Cam Phasers issued here in November of '21, and I have seen it as late as Feb of '22 on these reports. What is this? I really don't want to buy another truck and then have to schedule it for a week of repairs whenever it can be done. And when this started happening originally, I really don't remember folks saying it was expected to go through 2020 models, at all.
The reason you are seeing 21N03 being issued at various dates is because that program (extended coverage) only activates once 21B10 is complete. Program 21B10 is the new calibration, and has been available since July 15th 2021.

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason you are seeing 21N03 being issued at various dates is because that program (extended coverage) only activates once 21B10 is complete. Program 21B10 is the new calibration, and has been available since July 15th 2021.
How does this repair differ/how can I tell if it has been done on a certain truck or not?

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scab built June 1 2019,the truck never rattle at 22 000 miles
done the recall.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does this repair differ/how can I tell if it has been done on a certain truck or not?
If you’re seeing 21N03, then 21B10 has been completed, so the truck has the updated calibration to prevent the phaser issue from occurring.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two dealers have told me, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
"Don't do the recall"
My late 18 has no cam phaser issues.