SPD’s Helmholtz Resonated HX Series muffler upgrade for your 2017-2020 GEN 2 Raptor available at Apollo Optics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Apollo Optics is proud to Introduce SPD’s Helmholtz Resonated HX Series muffler upgrade for your 2017-2020 Gen2 Raptor. The Helmholtz Resonator targets and neutralizes specific drone frequencies without making the exhaust too quiet.

SPD has again allowed me to test this new setup on my truck.

I have been doing some comparisons between the resonated HX and non Resonated.

353F47E7-94AE-4B80-864D-2FC1093907FC.JPG
Cold start is quite a bit quieter. Partial throttle (normal driving) is quieter as well. The exhaust interior note from 1500-3000 rpm is much quieter than before. Wide open throttle is about the same for both.

My son and I took comparison videos of before (HX)and after(Res HX)
We used the NIOSH Sound Level Meter to compare decibel readings.
One thing to remember is my setup is going to be just about as loud as you can get. I am currently running SPD’s Stainless Downpipes and SPD’s Trombone.
One of the video’s below you can hear the A/C on high (68 DB) and the truck at normal speeds is quieter.
HX Muffler Res HX Muffler
55 mph- 66.1 DB
60 mph - 67.4 DB 60 mph -
65 mph - 68.2DB 65 mph - 74 DB
70 mph - 71.2 DB 70 mph - 74.4 DB
75 mph - 74.7 DB 75 mph - 76.4 DB
80 mph - 75.2 DB 80 mph - 77.8 DB
85 mph - 85 mph - 80.8
Full throttle- 89 DB Full throttle 89 DB
Current lead time will be 1-2 weeks for the new HX muffler. The MSRP on the Helmholtz muffler is $1199.
We carry everything from SPD here at Apollo Optics and I would be more than happy to put a bundle together for you with this new Resonated HX muffler and a Trombone or the resinated HX by itself.
Happy to help.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Kyle

*For those wanting to add the Helmholtz resenator to an HX muffler you already own, SPD will have an exchange program. It will be $350. You will purchase the Helmholtz upgrade and SPD will send you a new Res HX muffler and then you will return the HX muffler your currently have. This is so you have no down time if this is your daily driver. *

Videos

SPD HX Muffler
"

SPD Helmholtz HX DB levels
"

Helmholtz HX wide open throttle

Helmholtz HX muffler interior wide open throttle

Helmholtz manually down shifting

Last edited:

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is beyond helpful. It seems like SPD has done what no one else can do. They have made the ecoboost sound good and not overly loud.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all that info. For reference guys every 3db more sounds TWICE as loud to human ears... so at 70MPH the new resonated Helmholtz is more than twice as quiet as the version without. This is good stuff. I need to take some reading with my FP borla sport exhaust as I have the SPD downpipes as well.

OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all that info. For reference guys every 3db more sounds TWICE as loud to human ears... so at 70MPH the new resonated Helmholtz is more than twice as quiet as the version without. This is good stuff. I need to take some reading with my FP borla sport exhaust as I have the SPD downpipes as well.

Use the same DB meter app I if you have an iPhone. I would like to know how loud your is.

For the above remember I have SPD down pipes also so I will be louder than those with stock Downpipes.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I used the same app on my iphone mounted to my dash. At 70mph it's like 69.5 - 70 or so. I mean, the noise is more wind noise as I can't even hear the exhaust going 70mph on flat ground.