Does the Cam Phaser recall now cover every year of the Gen2 (2017-20), and beyond?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I sold my 2018 Raptor in August after having the cam phasers repaired and experiencing some consistent transmission issues. I had hoped to dodge the price insanity by hiding out in a low-mileage 2013 M5 for a year or so, but that has blown up in my face spectacularly (another story).

I miss having a truck, and I've been looking at 2018-19 Raptors and F150 Limiteds, etc again lately. I see in the CarFaxes where even '19s and '20s had the cam phaser recall issued in 2/22. Originally, we were told the issue was limited to a bad run of parts, and hit only certain 2018 trucks. Then it happened to my wife's 2019 Expedition. Now I see it's almost every 3.5TT.

What is the deal here? Ford just trickling out notice to avoid a run on dealerships for the lengthy/expensive repair? Will it carry over into 2020s? 2021s? I really don't want to buy another truck and have to deal with this, and I still like the F150 the best of the trucks out there. GMs have the fuel management valve issues, Dodges always seem top have some long-term problems, and the new Tundra looks like a bad futuristic freight train.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hiding out in a low-mileage 2013 M5 for a year or so, but that has blown up in my face spectacularly (another story).

ANY German car out of warranty is a lesson in check book drainage. I have 2 vw's and a Porsche right now, and along with my past Audi's, the cost per mile of ownership is just way higher than American cars.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The TSB cutoff was 11/19 as previously mentioned, that’s when new parts and calibration went into production. Well over 2 years ago. The recall was issued last summer, 07/21, not 2022.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, the cam phaser issue is now a recall? I haven't been notified of anything like that and I definitely have the issue on my '19.

ANY German car out of warranty is a lesson in check book drainage. I have 2 vw's and a Porsche right now, and along with my past Audi's, the cost per mile of ownership is just way higher than American cars.
No joke, I had an E70 X5 and still have an F25 X3 and everything past 60k miles has cost $1/mile in unexpected repairs--and no, that's not a typo, I was quoted over $25k on each vehicle to keep them going from 60-90k miles.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait, the cam phaser issue is now a recall? I haven't been notified of anything like that and I definitely have the issue on my '19.

No joke, I had an E70 X5 and still have an F25 X3 and everything past 60k miles has cost $1/mile in unexpected repairs--and no, that's not a typo, I was quoted over $25k on each vehicle to keep them going from 60-90k miles.
Yes, recall came out in July of 2021. They mailed letters and sent notifications in the Ford Pass app. I think last month was the cutoff to get the recall done in order to qualify for the warranty extension.

GMEN92

Reaction score
Cam phasers…bad run of parts…nope! As previously stated on FRF…the cam phasers were redesigned/upgraded and went into production on vehicles built after 11/2019.
I got a 2020 with a 11/19 build date …
I wonder what parts i got .. ?

01Moch1

Reaction score
Yes, recall came out in July of 2021. They mailed letters and sent notifications in the Ford Pass app. I think last month was the cutoff to get the recall done in order to qualify for the warranty extension.
I hope this isn't true about the cutoff being past for warranty extension! I had the dealer order parts for my block heater recall back in September and planned to do the cam phaser TSB and block heater recall at the same time. After not hearing from SA about parts arrival and several unreturned voice messages, I was finally able to get an appointment scheduled for next week to have these performed. I will be pretty annoyed if I missed out on the extended warranty because of the dealers ineptitude.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I sold my 2018 Raptor in August after having the cam phasers repaired and experiencing some consistent transmission issues. I had hoped to dodge the price insanity by hiding out in a low-mileage 2013 M5 for a year or so, but that has blown up in my face spectacularly (another story).

I miss having a truck, and I've been looking at 2018-19 Raptors and F150 Limiteds, etc again lately. I see in the CarFaxes where even '19s and '20s had the cam phaser recall issued in 2/22. Originally, we were told the issue was limited to a bad run of parts, and hit only certain 2018 trucks. Then it happened to my wife's 2019 Expedition. Now I see it's almost every 3.5TT.

What is the deal here? Ford just trickling out notice to avoid a run on dealerships for the lengthy/expensive repair? Will it carry over into 2020s? 2021s? I really don't want to buy another truck and have to deal with this, and I still like the F150 the best of the trucks out there. GMs have the fuel management valve issues, Dodges always seem top have some long-term problems, and the new Tundra looks like a bad futuristic freight train.
The real question is if you absolutely have to buy another vehicle right now. Nothing is a good deal, and people buying now will lose a ton for resale. This f’ed up market is short term. In a year, it will be much different… and in 2yrs, the mega depression will hit. That’s when you buy.
As to your initial point, yep, the cam phaser issue was across all the 3.5 applications. It was definitely not a bad batch of parts since new part numbers were made for the new design. I won’t be sold on that being a true fix until there is at least 3yrs worth of use/no issues. This problem was exhibited on the previous generation of 3.5 ecoboost, but was more catastrophic to the point of stretching timing chains. The plethora of TSBs in that gen of 3.5 ecoboost (2010-2017 I believe) for timing components was pretty bad. Hopefully this new design works out.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The real question is if you absolutely have to buy another vehicle right now. Nothing is a good deal, and people buying now will lose a ton for resale. This f’ed up market is short term. In a year, it will be much different… and in 2yrs, the mega depression will hit. That’s when you buy.
As to your initial point, yep, the cam phaser issue was across all the 3.5 applications. It was definitely not a bad batch of parts since new part numbers were made for the new design. I won’t be sold on that being a true fix until there is at least 3yrs worth of use/no issues. This problem was exhibited on the previous generation of 3.5 ecoboost, but was more catastrophic to the point of stretching timing chains. The plethora of TSBs in that gen of 3.5 ecoboost (2010-2017 I believe) for timing components was pretty bad. Hopefully this new design works out.
Glad we have Pat Robertson on the forum to advise us all of the future. Or, better known as @Kuan, @Azrael, @predatorraptor. All who have been banned.

Since you consistently troll every Gen 2/3 thread with misinformation and ********, I'll try and bullet point this to make it easier for your simple mind to understand, and clarify the facts for the people you're trying to provide the misinformation to.

• There are 2 generations of 3.5 GTDI. They are unrelated in architecture.
  • The cam phaser issue OP is asking about affected 2017 to 2020 models built before 11/19. It was corrected with a new calibration and new part design.
  • Nobody cares what "you're sold on". You know nothing and you don't own a Raptor; you're simply a notorious troll.
  • Previous generation 3.5 timing chain issues were caused by extended oil change intervals. Not by a design defect.