Dodge is trying to compete with the Raptor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
It should cause it's in the Raptor R's category......

How do you figure?

The "R" has a coil over and bi-pass on each corner, while the Dodge has a 3 inch shock up front with a coil in the rear, which means the "R" is MUCH more tune able than the Ram.

The "R" has race seats, Bead locks, fuel cell, gps, race radio, intercom, suppression system, 9 inch in the rear, coolers, ect. The Dodge does not come with anything close to the R.

If you wanted to build a "R" your looking at 100-150K+

Depending on the price, the Ram could be in direct competition with the Raptor off the showroom floor(doubtful, but possible)

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
It really cant be done for the price of a rap. If you do the base model (ST) and get the 4x4 crew cab (4 door) with the hemi and thats it, the msrp is over $35000. Then add the $20000 bolt on stuff. And someone has to put the stuff on so... who knows how much labor is. So before you even get the truck put together. So you can have a screw raptor with EVERYTHING, or a base model truck that is still in pieces. Hmmm... I wonder how successful this really will be?

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
It really cant be done for the price of a rap. If you do the base model (ST) and get the 4x4 crew cab (4 door) with the hemi and thats it, the msrp is over $35000. Then add the $20000 bolt on stuff. And someone has to put the stuff on so... who knows how much labor is. So before you even get the truck put together. So you can have a screw raptor with EVERYTHING, or a base model truck that is still in pieces. Hmmm... I wonder how successful this really will be?

Got this from another forum that's part of the program:

First of all, the truck isn't going to cost 80 grand, that's just silly. When you buy a any vehicle you start with the base model and choose your options, such as the Laramie package. So the base model might cost about 20k but by the time you add 4x4, leather, premium sound, crew cab, etc you get to the top of the line Laramie which invoices at just over 41k. It would be disingenuous to assume that the starting point for adding the Ram Runner options would be the 41k Laramie package. The Ram Runner package should wind up costing you 40-50k depending on everything you select on the whole truck including interior, wheels, and all that dealer added stuff. So saying that the Ram Runner package adds over 20k to the price of the truck is only accurate if you consider it in the same context as the Laramie package adds over 20k to the price of the truck. In any event, I explained quite clearly in my earlier post how folks can go about some of the good upgrades without spending anywhere near the amount of money you're talking about.

Second, with regard to your point about $2400 for body panels, I paid less than that but not much less for the fiberglass on my prerunner and it had the inevitable manufacturing blemishes that needed to be sanded and smoothed and of course no paint. Third, I'm not sure those prices you quoted are for fiberglass. Glass for this truck like the kind you buy at Fiberwerx would be about half that much and has already been sold to several customers although its not currently advertised. From what I understand the dealer built truck will show up completely painted like any other dealer truck and the fenders will look like the glass but actually be stamped metal like any stock fender. How much does your full fiberglass cost after you do all the body filling, sanding, priming and painting?

Anyway the proof will be in the pudding. Maybe the whole thing goes **** and disappears but from what I'm seeing this truck is on its way. The 'general consensus' belongs to the general public, who quite frankly don't know any real details. Good questions by everybody here, keep 'em coming and I'll try and get Kent to get on here and maybe provide some more details. I don't want to overstep my bounds and spill the beans on any stuff that is supposed to stay under wraps until later.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hey all, first post on this forum but I recognize some of you...

I'm not sure I follow the logic on that post AII, (I know it is someone else's).

First, yes, a laramie is essentially a 20k option on top of a 20k base. BUT for the ram to be EQUAL to what the Raptor offers, it will need the laramie 'stuff' like leather seats, nav, etc... so if they order the ram runner, all the leather and nav, heated seats, etc will be at no cost? I'm still trying to figure out how they get past charging for all the luxury stuff and all the suspension upgrades - without doing the economy of scale thing by offering pre-built platforms like Ford did with the Raptor.

maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
hey all, first post on this forum but I recognize some of you...

I'm not sure I follow the logic on that post AII, (I know it is someone else's).

First, yes, a laramie is essentially a 20k option on top of a 20k base. BUT for the ram to be EQUAL to what the Raptor offers, it will need the laramie 'stuff' like leather seats, nav, etc... so if they order the ram runner, all the leather and nav, heated seats, etc will be at no cost? I'm still trying to figure out how they get past charging for all the luxury stuff and all the suspension upgrades - without doing the economy of scale thing by offering pre-built platforms like Ford did with the Raptor.

maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet.
Some if it may be confusing because it came from the middle of a thread and I wasn't sure how to break it down without loosing some info. And to be honest there really isn't much info about the Ram, hopefully that will change now that they are going into production. Then again I'm sure stealerships would be clueless if you went into one.
As far as the upgraded seats, ect goes, It looks as if you can build the truck the way YOU want it, IMO all the bells and whistles in the Raptor are pointless and drive the cost up. I would love to see Ford offer a truck without the leather, hill decent, 4wd, back up camera, ect.

Even though I'd never own a Dodge, them coming out with this may force Ford into looking at cheaper ways to build this truck!

Last edited:

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Some if it may be confusing because it came from the middle of a thread and I wasn't sure how to break it down without loosing some info. And to be honest there really isn't much info about the Ram, hopefully that will change now that they are going into production. Then again I'm sure stealerships would be clueless if you went into one.
As far as the upgraded seats, ect goes, It looks as if you can build the truck the way YOU want it, IMO all the bells and whistles in the Raptor are pointless and drive the cost up. I would love to see Ford offer a truck without the leather, hill decent, 4wd, back up camera, ect.

Even though I'd never own a Dodge, them coming out with this may force Ford into looking at cheaper ways to build this truck!

For them to do that, I think it would be more likely that this would be put on a ranger platform. A smaller/cheaper truck to start with, plus since the ranger doesn't off most of the "luxury" stuff, there would be no need for them to then add it in. Plus being smaller they could add more suspension and still keep the width down and it weighs a lot less.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
For them to do that, I think it would be more likely that this would be put on a ranger platform. A smaller/cheaper truck to start with, plus since the ranger doesn't off most of the "luxury" stuff, there would be no need for them to then add it in. Plus being smaller they could add more suspension and still keep the width down and it weighs a lot less.

A ranger would be a decent idea, but I'm not a fan of it coming from the factory build in the same manner as the Raptor. I would rather see an XLT F150(Scab and Supercrew) with 6.2 without all the extra's.
If you took off all the extra's that are not needed on a Raptor you could probably drop the price by 8-10K by getting rid of the 4wd, leather and other computer controlled vice's. By doing this Ford would sell many more than they have already which means more R&D which equal's better built trucks for us in the future.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
5 days before I turned 18, I was diagnosed with Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (aka cancer). I have had over 15 spinal taps, my first bout of chemotherapy was a year. About 8 months into that I started to suffer from seizures. One so bad I was in the pool and had a full body lock down and drown. So following that I had brain surgery since the doctors though everything matasticised to my brain. Thankfully it didn't. I finished chemo and was good for, a short bit. Not 2 months later I had a relapse. So, this time I underwent 3 weeks of level 10 chemo followed by a bone marrow transplant.
I have now been clean for 9 months now though! and haven't had any seizures for over a year. So, to congratulate me for pulling through one of the hardest things in life anyone would ever experience, I got my dream truck. :D

Wow, you deserve the raptor and more. How did you end up getting tested to find out you had cancer before you knew?