Differential Service.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Changing fluids is cheap piece of mind and insurance. Change all of mine before 1k --- the Raptor did all but the tranny because it needed a special machine (thermostat in tranny) to do the Amsoil change out. That being said did the tranny at around 10k. The fluids in the axles were that milky color.

Baja Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to change out the front and rear differential fluid. Also the transfer case fluid. Thanks to Chris at Freedom motorsports for the fluid I needed and the quick service. Removed front and rear covers and drained the fluid. Was concerned because the fluid did look a little milky. Now truck has 8000 miles. Never been in water. Was at Snoball

I was going to do mine around 30K because I am a maintenance freak?

tacomafj-80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Know it's an old thread but I thought I would share what I did today. On the front diff, I used a gasket made by Lube Locker for an 8.8 ford. I also upgraded the hardware with arp stainless bolts. Part number for the bolt kit is (437-3001). The bolts are listed as a chevy 10 bolt kit. They were the exact length as oem.

No leaks at all and they say the gasket is reusable. They also make the gasket for the rear, but I upgraded to a mag hytec cover while I had it apart.

tacomafj-80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukon, I don't know if you were referring to me about the pics. If your asking about the oil in the front diff, it was a milky color. Almost looked like a white lithium grease mixed with the oil. Majority of the chalky compound was sitting on the bottom of the diff. It was the oem fill and the truck has never been in water.

On the rear I did not add friction modifier.

Krab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Know it's an old thread but I thought I would share what I did today. On the front diff, I used a gasket made by Lube Locker for an 8.8 ford. I also upgraded the hardware with arp stainless bolts. Part number for the bolt kit is (437-3001). The bolts are listed as a chevy 10 bolt kit. They were the exact length as oem.

No leaks at all and they say the gasket is reusable. They also make the gasket for the rear, but I upgraded to a mag hytec cover while I had it apart.
What part number is the gasket you bought for the front? And while we're at it, what part number were you going to get for the rear?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got busy with the front differential today. I was surprised that with the truck parked on the level concrete of my garage floor, the fill hole leaked fluid continuously when I pulled it out. I quickly replaced it with a Dimple Super Magnetic Plug before very much poured out.

It seems to me that the fluid level as-delivered is ABOVE the fill hole. I don't know of a practical way that can be duplicated after the axel is installed in the truck. Did you fellows just fill it to the fill hole level, or did you measure the amount of fluid you put in??

And here's the weird thing about the amount of fluid you're supposed to use: The 2011 F150 Owners Manual says 3.5 pints or 1.8L , but the 2011 Raptor Supplement says 3.6 pints or 1.7L. I think that's pretty doggone odd in several ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beemerman

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Ruger, I just filled both diffs till the fluid ran out. waited for it to stop dripping. then plugged it. do the same on every other car I have changed diff fluids in. also did the transfer case the same way. I just filled mine till full. I think it is approximate what the manual says.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OT ... Did you get your Dimple Super Magnetic engine oil drain plug yet?

I got busy with the front differential today. I was surprised that with the truck parked on the level concrete of my garage floor, the fill hole leaked fluid continuously when I pulled it out. I quickly replaced it with a Dimple Super Magnetic Plug before very much poured out.

It seems to me that the fluid level as-delivered is ABOVE the fill hole. I don't know of a practical way that can be duplicated after the axel is installed in the truck. Did you fellows just fill it to the fill hole level, or did you measure the amount of fluid you put in??

And here's the weird thing about the amount of fluid you're supposed to use: The 2011 F150 Owners Manual says 3.5 pints or 1.8L , but the 2011 Raptor Supplement says 3.6 pints or 1.7L. I think that's pretty doggone odd in several ways.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mr. Beemerman sir. Thank you.

Yeah, that's what the owner's manual says about the transfer case - fill it up to the bottom of the fill hole. But I don't think it gives any such guidance for the differentials, just the amount.

So when I pulled the fill plug out of the front differential and the gear oil started flowing pretty freely, I quickly plugged it again. Spooked me a little, 'cause I've never seen that happen before.

So with your kind guidance I can proceed. Ya know what I'm going to do? I'm not going to pull the cover off the front differential. I'm going to use a fluid pump to pump out as much fluid as I can, and then simply refill it. That thing is just too screwy to mess with. I figure if I just pump and refill every 50K miles or so it'll be plenty good.

Oh BTW, Raptor 911, I've got Dimple Super Magnetic Plugs in the transfer case and the front differential, and a Mag-Hytec differential cover on the rear axel. (It has TWO magnets.) I also have the aFe pan on the transmission, and it also has two magnets. It only makes sense for my truck to reflect my magnetic personality, dontchaknow. :)

Last edited: