Differential Service.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
beemerman

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha ha. Hope I didn't start something. Hardest part is the front cover. Limited clearance to get the cover off. Ford uses silicone sealer for gasket. Takes a little scraping. Also ford uses what looks like red thread locker on the bolts. So I cleaned the bolts with a wire wheel, and used locktite red. Just for insurance. Never seen locktite on any other vehicle diff cover bolts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The manual / spec calls for a friction modifier for the rear. But my fluid front and rear was that same grey color.

Front was all milky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I thought the manual called for friction modifier as well, but the Ford Service manual tells a different story for the ELD differential in the Raptor. I obtained the information below from this forum:

Material Item Specification Fill Capacity
Additive Friction Modifier XL-3 (US); CXL-3 (Canada) EST-M2C118-A 118 ml (4 oz) to be installed before axle lubricant — Not to be used with Electronic Locking Differentials (ELD) Maximum Strength Retaining Compound
Loctite® 638™ — —
Motorcraft® High Contrast Hypoid Gear Marking Compound
XG-14 — —
Motorcraft® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant
XY-75W140-QL (US); CXY-75W140-1L (Canada) WSL-M2C192-A and GL-5 2.84L (6.0 pt) — ELD only
2.60L (5.5 pt) — Non Traction-Lok equipped
2.48L (5.25 pt) — Traction-Lok equipped
Premium Long-Life Grease
XG-1-C or XG-1-K (US); CXG-1-C (Canada) ESA-M1C75-B —
Silicone Gasket and Sealant
TA-30 WSE-M4G323-A4 —
Threadlock and Sealer
TA-25 WSK-M2G351-A5 —

That being said, Amsoil differential fluid already has a friction modifier additive in it that is safe to use in the ELD differentials. The best product to use for the differentials in the Raptor is Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140, it offers the best overall protection for the gears and the heavier weight lube will be effected less then the lighter fluids when water contamination can possibly be a factor.

All of that being said, for those that want to make the change to Amsoil fluids, I offer a free six month trial membership in the Amsoil Preferred Customer program for anyone whose first initial order will be over $100. If you are changing the differential fluid and engine oil, that alone will put you over $100, but the overall savings for changing all your drivetrain fluids over to Amsoil will save you a good deal of cash overall. To take advantage of this offer you must contact me so that I can set up your account for you and then once it is set up you can place your order, factory direct through the Amsoil website and still have me as your servicing dealer.

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha ha. Hope I didn't start something. Hardest part is the front cover. Limited clearance to get the cover off. Ford uses silicone sealer for gasket. Takes a little scraping. Also ford uses what looks like red thread locker on the bolts. So I cleaned the bolts with a wire wheel, and used locktite red. Just for insurance. Never seen locktite on any other vehicle diff cover bolts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Red Locktite? Red is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners.i hope you can get the bolts out again you usually need to heat bolts that are red locktited. Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 from Loctite Adhesives blue is all that we would ever need.http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

OP
OP
beemerman

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes you are right. when I removed the bolts they did have red threadsealer on them. maybe it was just ford version of thread sealer. the bolts did come out rather hard, hard to wrench them all the way out. have used the red before on various applications. never really had a problem removing them. but could use the heat method if necessary. am not anticipating having to change the diffs too often, as I do not run in deep water.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes you are right. when I removed the bolts they did have red threadsealer on them. maybe it was just ford version of thread sealer. the bolts did come out rather hard, hard to wrench them all the way out. have used the red before on various applications. never really had a problem removing them. but could use the heat method if necessary. am not anticipating having to change the diffs too often, as I do not run in deep water.

Well according to the Ford Raptor Supplment manual..

Note 2 about the rear axel
"2Fill 6 millimeter to 14 millimeter (1/4 inch to 9/16 inch) below bottom of fill hole.
Your vehicle’s rear axle is filled with a synthetic rear axle lubricant and is considered lubricated for
life
. These lubricants do not need to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is
required or the axle assembly has been submerged in water. The axle lubricant should be changed
any time the rear axle has been submerged in water.
"

So maybe that did not intend on people servicing the axle.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time with that assessment in the manual. Although it is good fluid from the factory, I have a hard time believing in a factory added fluid being a "For Life" fluid simply due to the stress that comes from normal wear on the gears, especially for those that use them offroad. Of course, I am also one of those that is a stickler and pretty **** for changing all of my fluids whether they actually "need" it or not...lol

OP
OP
beemerman

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well according to the Ford Raptor Supplment manual..

Note 2 about the rear axel
"2Fill 6 millimeter to 14 millimeter (1/4 inch to 9/16 inch) below bottom of fill hole.
Your vehicle’s rear axle is filled with a synthetic rear axle lubricant and is considered lubricated for
life
. These lubricants do not need to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is
required or the axle assembly has been submerged in water. The axle lubricant should be changed
any time the rear axle has been submerged in water.
"

So maybe that did not intend on people servicing the axle.

yes bmw says the same about their lifetime fill transmission and diffs also. but I see a lot of failures from not changing the fluids.