Water in differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say this...the M3A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle has a forging kit...bilge pumps and all.. I know damn well I'm not forging that p.o.s. ever again..did it once in korea....damn near killed us all lol ....

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I dropped my truck off at the dealership this morning for rear end noise (second time in just over a year) and they call me shortly after to tell me that my rear diff was contaminated with water. Wtf? This truck is a highway princess. 98% of my trips are 63 miles long. Zero off road. Curious what they come up with.
OP, did they ever find a reason on yours?

OP
OP
R

robl3577

Reaction score
So I dropped my truck off at the dealership this morning for rear end noise (second time in just over a year) and they call me shortly after to tell me that my rear diff was contaminated with water. Wtf? This truck is a highway princess. 98% of my trips are 63 miles long. Zero off road. Curious what they come up with.
OP, did they ever find a reason on yours?
They couldn’t find any reason for water to be in there. Vent is connected and in place. It makes no sense

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They couldn’t find any reason for water to be in there. Vent is connected and in place. It makes no sense
Picked mine up yesterday. When I spoke with them on the phone on Thursday they said my vent looked ok and that they found an axle seal that had a hole in it that was allowing water in. Wasn't leaking oil though. Sounds strange to me, but they covered the repair and I have no other explanation. Never had an issue with water getting in there before the rear axle was rebuilt the first time, which was 13months ago. I will be keeping a close eye on it from now on. Was actually wondering if maybe the under body flush at the car was causing it, but the first two winters it wasn't an issue.

MZBHAVN

Reaction score
Picked mine up yesterday. When I spoke with them on the phone on Thursday they said my vent looked ok and that they found an axle seal that had a hole in it that was allowing water in. Wasn't leaking oil though. Sounds strange to me, but they covered the repair and I have no other explanation. Never had an issue with water getting in there before the rear axle was rebuilt the first time, which was 13months ago. I will be keeping a close eye on it from now on. Was actually wondering if maybe the under body flush at the car was causing it, but the first two winters it wasn't an issue.
My 2020 that just hit a 100k miles has had rear end rebuilt twicw, 58K then 88K and front being done now at 100k, they have had it for the month of October waiting on approvals and parts. Its never been offroad, mostly hwy miles and commutes of 25miles each way per trip. Never been through water that wasn't on road or in a carwash. Rear diff the gear lube looked good, cracked bearing race on the first one and bad bearing on the 2nd rebuild. They tell me the front diff had water intrusion but they couldn’t determine a reason‍♂️. Ford warranty and Ford ESP has covered the rebuilds.