Water in differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The other thing is, I don't even believe this much water could have been in the differential for a full year without causing problems sooner
i think its not as much water as you'd think.. its being mixed with the oil while driving so seems reasonable to me. an ounce of water might cause milkshake..

water is not a good lubricant..

did you check out the vent connection on the axle? left side axle tube.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bet there is a lot more water in the diff than someone might think.

It is retarded to think that the seals will flow water like Niagara falls. I get if the vehicle is parked in the water for days.

Also if the water pressure is high enough to push the seal open then oil could leak past at the same time.

I am not saying water can't get past the seal I am saying crossing a river or launching a boat and the diff is under water (vent still above water) for 2 minutes shouldn't let enough water in to cause this .

1: this would be a ton more common and as such would give a black eye to the manufacturer as far as precieved quality. other manufacturers would capitalize on this. It is 2020's not 1950's

2: in gale bank's video series on rear diff covers he showed that under heavy load the rear diff can reach temperatures well over 300 degrees (this is why such heavy oils are still used in diff's) this temp would boil out any small amount of water.

Same as engine heat boiling condensation out of engine oil.

In 35 years I have only seen this about 10 times. Everyone had a broken vent tube. I would assume it could be more of an issue in the east where humidity hits 100% often.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to be a smart ass , but would be 13ish inches over the center line of the axle. But if the vent tube is in place clipped to the frame it would still be about 4 inches above water.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I believe the whole point is that a fully intact live axle assembly moving through water for a SHORT period of time is not really a problem.

“Submerged” indicates more time stationary vs moving. If the axle is submerged for less than a minute there is likely no issue with water intrusion.

However, as stated earlier, the diff, axles, and housing get HOT and builds pressure in the housing. The vent tube allows this pressure to escape AND allows ambient air back in as it cools to balance the pressure so there are no leaks.

As the axle assy cools from the water covering it, it tends to draw air in through the vent tube and/or the axle seals, depending on the path of least resistance. If the vent tube is submerged, water WILL be drawn in. If it is blocked or otherwise restricted, the water WILL enter through the axle seals.

Also realize the fording depth is on a level surface which is never true while off-road. The vent tube may be covered when crossing a relatively wide water spot, especially if driving fast. The wake from the tires can rise up pretty high, even if the water level is below the maximum stated.

It’s all simple physics, so why the argument?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rear vent tube when properly connected is probably 32-34 inches from the ground.. it's in the rear fender behind the wheel with a molded u bend, which as I have seen with my own eyes being installed incorrectly and basically upside down or hanging down...

I agree with warm axle going into cold water would definitely cause some pressure difference in the vent.. seen it many times with boat trailer axles injesting water thru the back seal.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the first things I learn when offroading/rock crawling was to extend the vent tubes higher in the body of the vehicle... I observed and learned.

“A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.”

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the first things I learn when offroading/rock crawling was to extend the vent tubes higher in the body of the vehicle... I observed and learned.

“A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.”

Screw you, we need more arguing!!!!