30K General Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just rolled 30K on the Gen 3. I've got an entire summer of cruising Baja along with my current weekends and holidays (spring break). Does anyone plan on doing any general maintenance on their truck? No need to tell me it's too early. I don't think it's too early to ensure the truck is running fresh fluids if you have the proper tools and the cost is extremely low. This is my first Ford coming from Jeeps. Has anyone on the FRF done any of the following on Gen 2 or Gen 3 and you can comment on your experiences?

Spark Plugs
Throttle Body Cleaning
Brake Flush
Front and Rear Diff fluid (front seems harder than the rear?)
Coolant Flush
Transfer Case
Transmission flush

I listed them in order of importance right now at 30k.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Surprised, I'm the only one that wants to turn some wrenches on these trucks at 30k. Spark plugs and throttle body should improve performance and gas mileage. Seems like a no-brainer, especially if you are putting some hard miles on the truck.

Highwayman

Reaction score
Former Jeep guy build here too... I'm sure it was accidentally off, but filters too.

30k on my vehicles is all fluids, filters and plugs....

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Former Jeep guy build here too... I'm sure it was accidentally off, but filters too.

30k on my vehicles is all fluids, filters and plugs....
Yea I’ve got bulk air filters and cabin air filters. Got a dozen of each. Lol

Did you do the work yourself? Can you talk more about throttle body and plugs?

Highwayman

Reaction score
Yea I’ve got bulk air filters and cabin air filters. Got a dozen of each. Lol

Did you do the work yourself? Can you talk more about throttle body and plugs?
I do my own work on all my stuff, including my JK build up to 40s...

But my Raptor, I just got in Dec with only 600 miles.... Can't be any different then anything else, though....

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me:

Spark Plugs: 30k miles, easiest plug changes ever.
Throttle Body Cleaning: not sure, i know theres three of them though; one in the back seems to be fun to get.
Brake Flush: whenever i change the front/rear pads out.
Front and Rear Diff fluid (front seems harder than the rear?): 50k for both, fronts a pia but not big deal with a pump. Might as well throw on a rear doff cover to make changes easier.
Coolant Flush: 100k, 150k for me since i swapped the thermostat at 50k
Transfer Case: 10k, fluid is about dark red, at 15k or more it starts turning black. Easy to do, need a pump like the front diff
Transmission flush: i dont flush but i just empty and refill every 30k. I changed the filter too first go around then just fluid from there.

Filters every 10k, oil every 2.5k.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For me:

Spark Plugs: 30k miles, easiest plug changes ever.
Throttle Body Cleaning: not sure, i know theres three of them though; one in the back seems to be fun to get.
Brake Flush: whenever i change the front/rear pads out.
Front and Rear Diff fluid (front seems harder than the rear?): 50k for both, fronts a pia but not big deal with a pump. Might as well throw on a rear doff cover to make changes easier.
Coolant Flush: 100k, 150k for me since i swapped the thermostat at 50k
Transfer Case: 10k, fluid is about dark red, at 15k or more it starts turning black. Easy to do, need a pump like the front diff
Transmission flush: i dont flush but i just empty and refill every 30k. I changed the filter too first go around then just fluid from there.

Filters every 10k, oil every 2.5k.
Super helpful thank you. Couple of other quick questions.

Plugs - Did you use SP596 ? I want to keep a spare coil on also. Can anyone confirm DG584 as part numbers for each ? I need a different spark plug socket besides the standard Craftsman rubber bushing one. Are there any recommendations for a good one-piece magnetic that is the correct length for our trucks?
Throttle body - I will try and take some pics and post back what it looks like.
Brake flush - Would I need to put the truck into brake service mode? Is it Dot 4? Any specific brand? I don't mind getting OEM MotorCraft but where can I get it besides the rip-off Ford parts house? Can you recommend a brake caliper spreader so I can do pads quickly and easily? A C-Clamp works for jeeps but I'd rather have a nice tool. I do brakes on other vehicles too.
Diff Fluids - Same fluid question (where else besides the dealer?). Are you just talking about a basic diff pump from HF? Both covers look like they need to be removed. An aftermarket looks good for the rear but I am not sure one could fit on the front.
Coolant Flush - Same fluid question (where else besides the dealer?). I have an AirLift for coolant. I am hoping this could maybe fit in the overfill tank since we don't have a radiator neck cap?
Transfer Case - Is the same type of pump or do you recommend something different? Just a simple drain and fill with the correct amount of fluid?
Transmission - I worded that incorrectly. That should be drained and refilled with a new filter. Is this dropping the pan and changing the filter or is it a drain and refill with an inline filter?

A ton of questions here but if anyone else is reading this the main questions are about better tools for these jobs along with where to get fluids for a good price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter