Coolant question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RaptorWings

RaptorWings

Reaction score
You can get it at any Ford dealer, parts store, even Walmart sells coolant though I would recommend the Motorcraft brand as that is what came in the truck originally. The mixture is to maintain the correct boil, corrosion and freeze protection and cooling efficiency. As FT1 stated do NOT use tap water, distilled water should be mixed with concentrated coolant if mixing it yourself.

-Joe
Thanks for taking the time to not only explain it to me but also tell where I can get it. I appreciate it man. I had bought 5 gallons from "Amsoil", should I just return it? Or use that one for now?

Attachments

• IMG_4695.png
    IMG_4695.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 8

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i like amsoil for engine oils, but i use motorcraft for everything else, motorcraft gold and yellow coolants (use yellow) are awesome.
I agree with this . They have updated their coolant like 6 times to get to the yellow one now in use. Its pretty on point.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been curious about this for a while but why does it have to be yellow? Seen a lot of "use yellow" so I'm very curious
well for right now its "green"
Itll literally say yellow whether diluted or concentrated, but the actual color has a green dye.
Yellow is the most up to date coolant, some techs have videos out on the chemical breakdown of each coolant, but compared to the orange coolant previously used this one is better and lasts longer.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude, you are being misinformed. Antifreeze color is for different corrosion inhibitors. Some manufacturers developed different coolant for their specific needs for the metals and rubber seals in their system.
If there is any confusion, just step back, buy the Ford concentrate and mix 50/50 with distilled water.
But since you’re replacing, doing it right, do a distilled water flush. Drain the system, fill with distilled water run the engine for a couple minutes and turn your heat on to flush the heater core. Drain the water and fill with the 50/50 mixture. Ensure you turn your heater on again so it is filled with the mixture (very important)

OP
OP
RaptorWings

RaptorWings

Reaction score
Dude, you are being misinformed. Antifreeze color is for different corrosion inhibitors. Some manufacturers developed different coolant for their specific needs for the metals and rubber seals in their system.
If there is any confusion, just step back, buy the Ford concentrate and mix 50/50 with distilled water.
But since you’re replacing, doing it right, do a distilled water flush. Drain the system, fill with distilled water run the engine for a couple minutes and turn your heat on to flush the heater core. Drain the water and fill with the 50/50 mixture. Ensure you turn your heater on again so it is filled with the mixture (very important)
Thank you for being so detailed. I will go ahead and do it the way you explained

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was referring to the motorcraft coolant coloring, wasnt speakin on other brands.