Stage 2 Roush Coolant Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mineratron

Reaction score
Posting a new thread for this as I have a couple of queries which I haven’t found the answer to… truck is a 2014 6.2L for those searching for answers. Planning to do both the intercooler and main circuits.

Intercooler Circuit:

Volume
- does anyone know what the approximate volume is?
Drain - couldn’t see a petcock, looks like a hose off job?

Engine Flush:

Draining
- Do you need to fully drain the system after using the flush?

Will be doing it at home without a coolant exchange system, just dropping the contents into a bucket. I understand that its very difficult to flush the system 100% without multiple circulations of fresh fluid (same as chemical cleaning of a power boiler… :D)… assume its ok that some of the flush will be left in there also? Unless you need to flush a few times with distilled water (will need to get more if that’s the case)?

I don't mind getting more distilled water (additional volume) as not a big fan of using tap water at all for additional flushing… easy to fill with the hose and circulate and dump… but ours is desalinated and remineralised with CO2 and lime slurry then injected with sodium hypochlorite for disinfection… great for filling/topping up the pool as you’ve got a head start on harness and chlorine but not what you want recirculating and reducing if you cannot fully evacuate it.

Thermostat Removal - this is stated in the Ford workshop manual, assume that the flush is not compatible with the thermostat materials? Or is this purely precautionary?

Looks like the way to do this is to partially drain down then pull it… albeit a pain as there’s another two hoses in the way… doable though. Air intake doesn’t need to be removed with the Roush CAI, its readily accessible.

I’m in Abu Dhabi so the thermostat isn’t as essential as it is in other climates (delete them where fitted on the bikes for better cooling) but don’t want to damage that or the motor by being too lazy to pull it.

Filling - looks straightforward, I am ok with the WSM procedure and I have a vacuum pump plus the multi cap for radiator, power steering reservoir, etc.

Additives:

Water Wetter
- anyone running it in their trucks?

Run it in the bikes and it definitely helps with the heat there… curious on any feedback from running it in the truck. Doesn’t struggle for cooling, even when dune bashing. More for optimisation.

Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback. :favorites13:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter