Coolant flush and change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnmh

Reaction score
So my new to me 120,000 mile 2013 6.2 Raptor has straight water in the cooling system. No bueno.

I unthread the drain on the rad, about a half gallon dribbles out until the flow stops.

I replace the plug and fill it with fresh distilled water, run the truck with the heaters on full until the thermostat opens, then stop, drain and repeat. I have done this six times (the water I drain each time is slowly getting cleaner).

The problem is that now I want to full it with a 50/50 mix of yellow Ford coolant and distilled water. But how? It will only accept a half gallon when I fill it. The total capacity is about 21 quarts. Which means I need to add about 10 quarts of the ford coolant. No way I can get that much in.

What am I missing?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The majority of the coolant is within the block, heads, hoses, and heater core; it won’t drain from the radiator. You can try raising the rear of the truck to get more out, but there will still be water.

The best way to ensure all of the water is removed is to have the dealer or a shop use a coolant exchange machine; it’s capable of completely evacuating the system and refilling it with the proper coolant/water mix.

OP
OP
J

johnmh

Reaction score
Upper is done. Lower will be fitted (that looks more difficult). Not sure about how to do the heater core hoses. Difficult job? I also swapped out the thermostat.

xtela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that your radiator drain or radiator may be partially blocked. When I drain my 2014 I get about 6 to 8 quarts including what is in the overflow tank. When I drain I leave the radiator cap on. This will siphon out the overflow tank. When the overflow tank is almost empty put a hose pinch clamp on the line to keep the siphon going and get a little more to drain. This is a slow process but you should get closer to 2 gallons out. I then use a vacuum filler to refill with 2 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket. Were you having any overheating ? Only 2 quarts draining out seems unusual.

Last edited: