Deavers or Icon's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you, yeah I do not tow that often but this is what it looks like stock. Drives ok but could def be better. Best bet to get the deavers directly from them or do you recommend a vendor?View attachment 407071

I'd be happy to help get you dialed in here at Apollo Optics. You mentioned that your 2018 is all stock suspension, correct? If so, I'd probably recommend going with the Deaver +2HD which will be stock height but with an extra 450lb capacity to help with the added tongue weight, plus any gear you have in the bed when you're towing. You already have about 2" rake from the factory so I'd hesitate to add anymore unless you were wanting to raise the front a bit. Going with an additional 2" over stock height would really give you that stinkbug look when not towing and I would not recommend it.

Let me know if we can answer any more questions for you or help you get dialed in. One more thing, don't forget that you will need to extend the bump stops if you still have the factory bumps and install the Deavers, they won't have the factory lift blocks to catch the back end when they bottom out. But we can add them for you no problem. They're about $85 for the pair of billet spacers.

I did the same as Wilbur but got them from Nick@apollo-optics IIRC. However my truck was fairly level due to the rear springs flattening before 30k. I didn’t want just another set as I tow a 21’ twin engine Yamaha boat. With the springs I’m back to a sleight rake as I wanted. You get used to the extra spring rate in the ride pretty quick. I don’t even keep 50th s of gear in the back for daily driving.

Yes sir, you sure did! Thank you for the tag. For some reason this new "email protected" thing comes up when my name is tagged. Currently working with the admins to get it fixed.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's best to recoat the Deavers, yes. The factory block has the bump stop pad which gets eliminated with new rear springs. It's best to go with a hydraulic bump over the factory rubber ժiιժօ. Unless you are @Oldfart Then he just repurpose them.
I’m afraid to ask how @Oldfart repurposes a factory díldó. But we’re supposed to face our fears. So … how does Oldfart repurpose a díldö?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd be happy to help get you dialed in here at Apollo Optics. You mentioned that your 2018 is all stock suspension, correct? If so, I'd probably recommend going with the Deaver +2HD which will be stock height but with an extra 450lb capacity to help with the added tongue weight, plus any gear you have in the bed when you're towing. You already have about 2" rake from the factory so I'd hesitate to add anymore unless you were wanting to raise the front a bit. Going with an additional 2" over stock height would really give you that stinkbug look when not towing and I would not recommend it.

Let me know if we can answer any more questions for you or help you get dialed in. One more thing, don't forget that you will need to extend the bump stops if you still have the factory bumps and install the Deavers, they won't have the factory lift blocks to catch the back end when they bottom out. But we can add them for you no problem. They're about $85 for the pair of billet spacers.

Yes sir, you sure did! Thank you for the tag. For some reason this new "email protected" thing comes up when my name is tagged. Currently working with the admins to get it fixed.
They probably had to have you email protected because of all the goat po rn we exchange.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Icon's and they work great on option 1. On option 2 they do not ride well when the truck is empty; I had them on option 2 for about 2 weeks and put them back to option 1. Makes me wonder if the HD deavers ride better than the Icons with how many guys run the HD deavers with no complaints.

I saw it mentioned that the Icon's have less droop travel, but this is only a concern if you're running a different shock. With the factory shock, the leafs don't limit droop.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have deaver +3HD and I really like them. It does get rougher when there is nothing in the bed but that’s rare for me. I carry a 3nd spare, pro eagle 3 ton off road jack, and some other tools the vast majority of the time and it rides a lot better

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently did icons on stage 2... 200 lbs on the daily, 450 on trips give or take. And SVC bumps with icon IFP cans.

Still pretty new and settling, but so far it feels perfect.
Probably most of the hassle with the job was self-induced. I took the time under there to wire brush any rust, rust paint it in several thin coats, then added fluid film rust proofing to everything as I assembled it to get it in every nook and cranny.
Added shock and diff skids while I was at it and the ford performance upgraded skid to the body. Some nasty rock obstacles from time to time up here.

mDZJWdDLBJw1TqieFoPbhNg=w1265-h949-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
_boo8KmQ05Asgl_ZEDL2MXQ=w1265-h949-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
and thought I'd try a cute little experiment to reduce rock / gravel rash on the new bumps. Might not make even 1% difference, but for 8 bucks and a few mins of time... no harm in giving it a shot.

jp6CcelZJFicoHWRXAv69WQ=w1265-h949-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

4BVhMhgE4o4xxgb-yMAnecA=w1265-h949-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running Deavers +3HD’s and love them but I also have Geisers up front so not stock ride height. I’ve towed trailers and no droop, also carrying about 300-400 pounds in the bed and 37” tires so a little different from your set up but can’t say enough good things about Jeff & Scott over at Deaver great guys. Give them a call and they can talk you through what they would recommend for exactly what you are wanting to do. Good luck with your search.70535957074__8059E73B-0C05-4B85-81FF-2F61158B9D31.jpeg

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Recently did icons on stage 2... 200 lbs on the daily, 450 on trips give or take. And SVC bumps with icon IFP cans.

Still pretty new and settling, but so far it feels perfect.
Probably most of the hassle with the job was self-induced. I took the time under there to wire brush any rust, rust paint it in several thin coats, then added fluid film rust proofing to everything as I assembled it to get it in every nook and cranny.
Added shock and diff skids while I was at it and the ford performance upgraded skid to the body. Some nasty rock obstacles from time to time up here.

View attachment 407771
Man every time I see the icon springs they look like the anemic OEM springs. The Deavers look twice as thick with twice the leafs. Here is a zoom in on mine which are just +2 non HD.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 10.09.11 AM.png

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man every time I see the icon springs they look like the anemic OEM springs. The Deavers look twice as thick with twice the leafs. Here is a zoom in on mine which are just +2 non HD.

View attachment 407968
Fair enough. Mine would be closer to that if I went with icon's on stage 3, but the stage 2 (replacing 3rd leaf with a beefier leaf) is plenty stout for my application. Any more spring rate and it would be more of a cattle truck ride without weight in the back to offset it.

I was on the fence with going stage 1 vs. 2 as I didn't want a non-raptor ride, but the stage 2 is plenty plush still.

Nice pic of your purty setup. Not joking.. looks great.