Deaver +2 or Deaver +3 with Shackle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The second most important to me is bump stops in the rear, too many bent frames without them. Thats just my humble opinion.

are you referring to the hydraulic kits for like $2k? How “hard” do you need to be on the truck before these are necessary? Will you feel it if/when you hit the factory bump stops?

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you referring to the hydraulic kits for like $2k? How “hard” do you need to be on the truck before these are necessary? Will you feel it if/when you hit the factory bump stops?

Yes they can be a bit pricey, but a bent frame costs more. Raptors are susceptible to bending the rear frame due to the tiny rubber pressed in bump stop. Look on the internet, theres tons of people who have suffered from it. One of my buddies just went through it, and it cost him a bunch. We are talking about off roading, and if you are going to do it, invest in protection first. The Raptor has the ability to far outrun (speed) its suspension. My back end with the Icon leafs and Icon bumps is like a Cadillac. I dont feel any hard hits at all as the bumps suck it up when I mash the back end down. If you go to a rear cage and bed through longer shocks, some have built in bumps so not always necessary.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
So that video is a little skewed I would bet. If your going to do "hard core" offroading then it all has to change. For the average off roader or weekend warrior that wants some extra out of an already capable truck, I can tell you my experience as I off road in my truck all the time. The first weak spot in the Raptor suspension is the stock rear leaf springs on 2" blocks. Anyone that drives a Raptor with stock rear leafs has felt the rear end "scoot" over on long sweeping turns on the freeway when you drive over an expansion joint. The first time it happened to me at 55 mph it scared the shit out of me. Off road you can feel the rear end dance over washboard roads. When I changed to Icon +3 leafs (which means they remove the 2" lift block and you get a 3" more arced leaf spring to remain stock height). So my rear end is up 1" over stock. It made the biggest difference in the truck, that I almost couldnt believe it. I then ran off road plenty on stock front shocks and quickly noticed the fronts are valved way to soft. I was diving hard under braking and mashing the front in ruts. I added the 2.25" RPG adjustable collars to the front to take out some pre-load and get the front up. Again it made a huge difference, the ride stiffened up only slightly, but it handled on and off road much better. In hind sight, the Geiser springs had just come out so didnt have that option then. I just recently purchased King 3.0's for the front so once they get installed next week, I will be able to tell the difference between collars on stock shocks and true aftermarket 3.0's with rezzys. So in a nutshell the rear spring should be the first change in your truck. It will make the most difference without any major upgrades or expense. The second most important to me is bump stops in the rear, too many bent frames without them. Thats just my humble opinion.

I don't think it was skewed as this fellow really is a "hard core" off roader.

Goes by Keep it Dirty Off - Road

Raptor Suspension Upgrade on a Budget

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was skewed as this fellow really is a "hard core" off roader.

Goes by Keep it Dirty Off - Road

Raptor Suspension Upgrade on a Budget

Not the video being skewed, but the takeaway from what is hardcore off road. The guy you just posted about is who I ride with and he's the one that bent his frame. Ask him he'll tell you all about it, his name is Helio. We all roll together and share our experiences. He just went with the rear bed cage and through shocks (expensive), but his truck is going to mash now. He also just put 37's on his truck last week...

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
Not the video being skewed, but the takeaway from what is hardcore off road. The guy you just posted about is who I ride with and he's the one that bent his frame. Ask him he'll tell you all about it, his name is Helio. We all roll together and share our experiences. He just went with the rear bed cage and through shocks (expensive), but his truck is going to mash now. He also just put 37's on his truck last week...

My take away is what he stated on his video:

20191106_164241.gif

And he also stated and I quote *Always do the front end first" .

So how is my take away of what is hardcore wrong?

For the average person I don't believe we end up bending our frames, off-roading, as he stated in another video.

Anyway I was just trying to let others that may hard core off road to think about doing the front first as your friend stated.

You stated he just installed 37" and in another video or it might have been the one I linked he stated to never ever put 37" on a Raptor, just don't do it.

I do enjoy watching his videos as I find them entertaining and educational.

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take away is what he stated on his video:

View attachment 132048

And he also stated and I quote *Always do the front end first" .

So how is my take away of what is hardcore wrong?

For the average person I don't believe we end up bending our frames, off-roading, as he stated in another video.

Anyway I was just trying to let others that may hard core off road to think about doing the front first as your friend stated.

You stated he just installed 37" and in another video or it might have been the one I linked he stated to never ever put 37" on a Raptor, just don't do it.

I do enjoy watching his videos as I find them entertaining and educational.

Hey bro seems like your a little mad. Im telling you that he told me to my face, he wishes he would have got bump stops first. I dont know what else to say man. He bent his frame, look it up, he posted all about it. As for 37's he has them on his truck right now, look that up as well if you dont believe me. Im trying to help you not mess up what we already have. You can take it, or leave it, I wont be mad. If you want to do the front first, ignore what I said, no harm. I would suggest you do both at the same time if you can afford it. His videos are legit, and he takes careful time and consideration when doing them, but remember he has learned some stuff since the older ones. Stand by as we are working on an install one coming soon for some cool stuff. I gave my opinion that the stock rear leaf springs are the worst part about this trucks suspension. If you dont believe that do some research on here, its all there. Your best bang for buck suspension upgrade will be changing your rear leafs to Icon or Deaver. If you have some money left, add Geiser or RPG, SVC, collars. But remember that means your going to go faster and leave the rear frame exposed. Everything you do will have another reaction on the truck, thats why once you start its a never ending process. I just bought King fronts, which lead to oh yeah you might as well get UCA' so I added Icon UCA's to the order which lead to you might as well get the LCA alignment lock bolts, and so on.. Take it for what its worth

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
Hey bro seems like your a little mad. Im telling you that he told me to my face, he wishes he would have got bump stops first. I dont know what else to say man. He bent his frame, look it up, he posted all about it. As for 37's he has them on his truck right now, look that up as well if you dont believe me. Im trying to help you not mess up what we already have. You can take it, or leave it, I wont be mad. If you want to do the front first, ignore what I said, no harm. I would suggest you do both at the same time if you can afford it. His videos are legit, and he takes careful time and consideration when doing them, but remember he has learned some stuff since the older ones. Stand by as we are working on an install one coming soon for some cool stuff. I gave my opinion that the stock rear leaf springs are the worst part about this trucks suspension. If you dont believe that do some research on here, its all there. Your best bang for buck suspension upgrade will be changing your rear leafs to Icon or Deaver. If you have some money left, add Geiser or RPG, SVC, collars. But remember that means your going to go faster and leave the rear frame exposed. Everything you do will have another reaction on the truck, thats why once you start its a never ending process. I just bought King fronts, which lead to oh yeah you might as well get UCA' so I added Icon UCA's to the order which lead to you might as well get the LCA alignment lock bolts, and so on.. Take it for what its worth

Heck why would I be mad, I'm just explaining how I understood his comments on his video.

I appreciate your input and have watched a lot of his and many other videos.

I don't need to look up about him bending his frame as I already stated that in my above post.

Maybe you're the one getting mad, I hope not as it wasn't my intention.

Last edited:

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck why would I be mad, I'm just explaining how I understood his comments on his video.

I appreciate your input and have watched a lot of his and many other videos.

I don't need to look up about him bending his frame as I already stated that in my above post.

Maybe you're the one getting mad, I hope not as it wasn't my intention.

Not at all bro, all good. Weve all messed some stuff up so learn from us so you dont have to spend twice. How much do you have to spend and maybe I can help you figure out your best options.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
Not at all bro, all good. Weve all messed some stuff up so learn from us so you dont have to spend twice. How much do you have to spend and maybe I can help you figure out your best options.

I've around $5,000.00 set aside right now, however, any more upgrades are on hold until I get my oil consumption figured out.

Taking it in to the Dealer this Monday.

I've done a lot of research which I usually do because I've learned that's the best way not to make mistakes and spend twice.

I don't off road hard, so down the road when my truck proves worthy I plan on either Eibachs or Geiser springs, leaning towards Geisers, and Deaver's ÷4 springs in the rear and maybe 37" tires.

After a lot of research, I still don't know if one needs to replace the upper control arms when going to 37" and front springs but I do know if I do need them that I'd have to go with after market wheels which I'd rather not do because I like the stock wheels.

Also when upgrading rear springs I believe I read somewhere that you'll loose some droop, correct?

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had 5k, heres what I would do If I wasnt going to off road very hard. Get Icon or Deaver rear springs and youll see an immediate difference. Then buy a set of Fox of King front coilovers and sell your brand new stock shocks to make up some loss. That will cost your about 4k. UCA's are good if your going to need greater articulation over a stock ball joint. The ICON Delta Joints are some of the best. It also is good in the fact you can get alignment from the UCA instead of the LCA and you can buy the LCA locks and set them in place forever. Or you can leave the UCA's alone since your not going to off road hard and spend your money on a good Pro Eagle Jack and mount an onboard compressor or air bottle. Do you live in California by chance ?