Deaver Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they paint them after they are assembled.. so there is basically nothing inside the leaf pack to protect against rust.. lol

i am of the opinion that deaver springs are good for about 5 years if you are off roading, and they were not disassembled and coated.. theres so much rust flaking going on inside the pack, and several have reported cracked leafs..
Well maybe that needs to be a maintenance item if you’re a serious off-roader. Every year you pull them apart to clean and apply a metal penetrant.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Corrosion inhibitors are one of the practical and cost-effective way of preventing and inhibiting corrosion. An inhibitor's primary function includes creating a barrier by forming one or more molecular layers to protect against corrosive attacks. Organic molecules are one of the most popular, efficient, and practical corrosion inhibitors, and all studies demonstrate that organic compounds, preferentially those containing nitrogen (N), sulphur (S), and oxygen (O), have high inhibitory efficiency.

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
could have been my prep/finish work too, and im also near chicago, so a bit of a different climate..
Well I prep-ed these As POR15 instructions. We will see. I just did Bozz lead frame and His leaf haven't been on a year yet (Icons) They were bleeding rust pretty bad. Only time will tell how the POR15 holds up.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone posted it already but that MPHD is the stuff for springs. Before you install the springs put it between the leaves. Won’t make a sound for couple years anyway. Touch it up again after two years. Flex the spring each way to get inbetween the leaves.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my Deavers arrived on the pallet they 1: looked like they had sat outside for a few months to "condition" the metal, then 2: were painted with a brush and a roller by a 2nd grader (not to demean your 2nd grader, I am sure they are very talented and capable of painting ;-)) I was considering repainting them but after some research the consensus seemed to be "they are all like that" so I left them and figured if they got bad I'd do something about them later. I do live in "sunny California" although it feels like the Pac Northwest these days (so tired of the rain). They haven't seemed to rust much more since installing them three years ago.

Attachments

• 1B5E2C5A-7217-4BFE-907B-C6FF9157E1F6.jpeg
    1B5E2C5A-7217-4BFE-907B-C6FF9157E1F6.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2529.jpeg
    IMG_2529.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 28

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Corrosion inhibitors are one of the practical and cost-effective way of preventing and inhibiting corrosion. An inhibitor's primary function includes creating a barrier by forming one or more molecular layers to protect against corrosive attacks. Organic molecules are one of the most popular, efficient, and practical corrosion inhibitors, and all studies demonstrate that organic compounds, preferentially those containing nitrogen (N), sulphur (S), and oxygen (O), have high inhibitory efficiency.
I totally agree with you about the organic molecules. After 22 years with my ex, SHE HAD ZERO CORROSION on her face and boobs! Science is a great thing. :pimp:

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
I did POR and constantly spray them with all sorts of random stuff from amzoil hd, silonce lube, chain lube, wd40 pretty much anything... the battle never stops.

Attachments

• 20240118_173519.jpg
    20240118_173519.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240303_105341.jpg
    20240303_105341.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 21

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
I did POR and constantly spray them with all sorts of random stuff from amzoil hd, silonce lube, chain lube, wd40 pretty much anything... the battle never stops.

Wished i would of taken them apart but not that it matters living in New England ill be lucky to even keep this truck from rotting out anyway. 2 winters with plenty of woolwax/waxoyl and still the cab corners and deaver, rear bumper the lips of the rockers all have rust. I also work cleaning cars and wash it often. Doesn’t make an fn difference here. Ive lost the last 2 vehicles cause i couldn’t keep up with the rust. Sorry bit of a sad/angry rant there…lol

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yours look pretty good. I will just have to see how well the POR15 works out. I have an entire 3/4 of a quart left so we will have to see what else needs it. LOL

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
Yours look pretty good. I will just have to see how well the POR15 works out. I have an entire 3/4 of a quart left so we will have to see what else needs it. LOL
I used the Eastwood stuff