Cold Start Noise - is it the cam phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried searching the cam phaser threads to find a video on what the cam phaser failure noise sounds like but was unable to find a definitive video - here is a link to a video of the start up noise my 2019 raptor makes – – can anyone verify this is the dreaded cam phaser failure?

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching the cam phaser threads to find a video on what the cam phaser failure noise sounds like but was unable to find a definitive video - here is a link to a video of the start up noise my 2019 raptor makes – – can anyone verify this is the dreaded cam phaser failure?

definitely the cam phaser failure. Take to your dealer, they will know all about how to get it fixed back up.

OP
OP
Gary Gere

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been reading this forum for a long time now. I appreciate everyone’s insight comments opinions etc.

I special ordered this truck on 6-16-2019 the build date is 8-20-2019. It has been serviced exclusively by the selling dealer. I had the oil changed every ~3000 miles. It has 19k miles on it.

In reading past comments I was led to believe that Ford had fixed the cam phaser problem long before August 2019?

If the cam phasers in this engine are supposedly the “latest“ cam phasers something very weird is going on…

can anyone confirm any of this to be true?

OP
OP
Gary Gere

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I asked if this engine has the “updated” cam phasers already installed, is because if they’re the same parts as what the dealership would install to fix the problem, what would prevent those cam phasers from going bad again?

Having the engine partially torn down and rebuilt is not without risk.

can anyone confirm that Ford has revised the cam phasers after ~ July 2019?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reason I asked if this engine has the “updated” cam phasers already installed, is because if they’re the same parts as what the dealership would install to fix the problem, what would prevent those cam phasers from going bad again?

Having the engine partially torn down and rebuilt is not without risk.

can anyone confirm that Ford has revised the cam phasers after ~ July 2019?
Yours should have the new phaser part but who knows? And even the new part could theoretically fail.

OP
OP
Gary Gere

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That raises an interesting question: if this engine has the “latest“ parts, and if the dealership would merely replace these with the exact same parts, what is the risk of simply not having the cam phasers replaced?

I’ve looked at a significant number of cam phaser threads. I have not found an answer to this question: if the cam phasers are NOT replaced, and no codes are “logged” is there any downside to simply putting up with the noise at cold start up?

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think your neighbors will start calling the cops about early morning gunshots when your truck is cold.