Anecdotal Cam Phaser Noise as it relates to oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. Mostly because I am at 99,000 miles and still have not had the cam phaser rattle despite being a 2017.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck is back and purring like a kitten. The tapping idle noise is gone so it was related to the phasers. My phasers were making noise basically anytime the truck was running and just about every start, even if it just sat for 5 mins.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So after a few days with the new phasers I have some more thoughts. First the truck runs better, period. Smoother and silkier. Cold driving is markedly improved, before new phasers the truck was reluctant to get going cold. Miles better now. Also, the truck ALWAYS would backfire after a fuel up for the first mile or so. I mean LOUD backfires that would sound like gunfire. Hilarious and embarrassing at the same time. It did not backfire at all after a fillup today. Related? @FordTechOne any thoughts or wisdom you can share?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So after a few days with the new phasers I have some more thoughts. First the truck runs better, period. Smoother and silkier. Cold driving is markedly improved, before new phasers the truck was reluctant to get going cold. Miles better now. Also, the truck ALWAYS would backfire after a fuel up for the first mile or so. I mean LOUD backfires that would sound like gunfire. Hilarious and embarrassing at the same time. It did not backfire at all after a fillup today. Related? @FordTechOne any thoughts or wisdom you can share?
If the phasers were worn to the point of oil bypassing the vanes, I could see the timing being off just enough to cause rough idle but not set a DTC. As far as the backfire sound after filling up, not is really not any correlation there, sounds like more of a coincidence.