Anecdotal Cam Phaser Noise as it relates to oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok hear me out. I have used schaeffer's oil for almost the life of my truck, now just under 44k miles. I've had the truck since new 12/17. I got cam phaser rattle at about 10k miles or so. Not horrible, but there. Doesn't happen every cold start up, just sometimes. Here is the interesting part. I just changed my oil 2 weeks ago and I went with Amsoil signature series. Why? Dunno but it was cheaper than the Schaeffer's. Well, since putting the Amsoil in I am noticing the cam phaser rattle is WAYFUCKINGWORSE! Like every start, even some warm starts. I mean, it rattles while it's CRANKING. WTF? I'm thinking I'm gonna put Schaeffer's back in ASAP.

@FordTechOne any thoughts?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. I am not defending Amsoil but could be purely coincidence. Maybe Schaeffers did a better job of keeping the rattle away. Never used Schaeffers b/c its damn pricey up here. I'd like to hear more.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered 2 gallons of schaeffers gonna put back but keep the same filter as i just changed oil 2 weeks ago...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok hear me out. I have used schaeffer's oil for almost the life of my truck, now just under 44k miles. I've had the truck since new 12/17. I got cam phaser rattle at about 10k miles or so. Not horrible, but there. Doesn't happen every cold start up, just sometimes. Here is the interesting part. I just changed my oil 2 weeks ago and I went with Amsoil signature series. Why? Dunno but it was cheaper than the Schaeffer's. Well, since putting the Amsoil in I am noticing the cam phaser rattle is WAYFUCKINGWORSE! Like every start, even some warm starts. I mean, it rattles while it's CRANKING. WTF? I'm thinking I'm gonna put Schaeffer's back in ASAP.

@FordTechOne any thoughts?
Interesting. It would be difficult to draw any correlation unless they were different viscosities (drain back slower), other than that it seems coincidental.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind pAO oils dry out seals and gaskets. High milages variants contain seal swelling group 4/5 esters.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. It would be difficult to draw any correlation unless they were different viscosities (drain back slower), other than that it seems coincidental.
Well I ordered more Schaeffer's and i am going to drain and refill but I'll leave the filter that I just put in. Then I will observe and report back.