Anecdotal Cam Phaser Noise as it relates to oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered 2 gallons of schaeffers gonna put back but keep the same filter as i just changed oil 2 weeks ago...

Well I ordered more Schaeffer's and i am going to drain and refill but I'll leave the filter that I just put in. Then I will observe and report back.
Change the filter also you tight a$$

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why? I literally put it in 2 weeks ago... No point.
1: there is amsoil in it, so to remove all the amsoil the filter needs to be replaced. You (we) need to prove your theory and the best way it to remove as much amsoil as possible.

2: well just because, a filter is cheap and it seems a little 1/2 a$$Ed. But I do know people who used to only change the filter every other oil change (I know that isn't the case here). Funny they never seemed to get long life from their vehicles

3: I like to give people a hard time.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
55k god given miles delivered to me by our lord and savior amsoil.

1000 plagues be upon ye for speakin this bad faith.

Back to serious, were you running the same weights? I run 0w-30 for the idea that it gets everywhere on coldstart faster than say a 5w.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
weights are the same, 5w30. Also I use the ford racing filter which is almost $30 shipped so it ain’t cheap for a filter. But more than that, changing it is a PITA.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I switched from Pompeii extra ****** olive oil to amsoil and had the same issue.

On a serious note as others have said, it seems like the oil you had was either extremely sensitive to temperature and became exponentially thicker than amsoil on cold start, but it really sounds coincidental.

You should really just get your phasers done

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read Amsoil contains low amounts of Moly (Molybdenum) at least compared to Schaeffers. I always used Moly in the gearcases of my ATV/UTVs to smooth out the engagement.

Watching to see if your change back to Schaeffers quiets the phasers again as I'm at 75k on my early '19 without any phaser rattle (yet).

Nikhsub1, any chance you park on an incline?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter