Cold Start Noise - is it the cam phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The updated cam phasers (part level CC) went into production in July of 2018 on F-150. However, out of millions of phasers produced (4 per engine) that doesn’t mean there will never be a faulty one produced. Every mass produced part will have a failure rate.

To eliminate the specific locking pin failure mode that can occur due to variances in production tolerances, Ford released the CD service level part in 10/19. This part was redesigned internally to prevent the locking pin issue from occurring. This is the part that the dealer will install when performing the repair.

I did not realize there was a difference between the updated -CC parts installed at the factory after July 18 and the -CD parts used for service, apparently starting in Oct 19. Given that information, it makes sense why we still see this issue on trucks produced well after July 18. It appears to me that nobody is safe until the service is done and the -CD parts are installed.

OP, you have the latest build date that I've personally seen reported with cam phaser failure.