Cold Start Noise - is it the cam phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Cam Phaser and the Wastegates World Tour!

You might have gotten some leftover phasers that were made with those Mexican hardened plastic pins...

Not shittn either.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice... If they end up operating on your baby. Do not go look. The cab will be completely removed from the frame... And both heads and all four cams will be removed from her beating heart.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what it sounds like?? Just makes the sound while cranking? I thought the cam phaser noise continued after cold starting until the engine warms up.

I thought maybe I had the issue but definitely don't if this is the characteristic sound.

CCH

Reaction score
My 2019 is in now for the phasers. Build date of April 2019.... do they really take the cab off?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what it sounds like?? Just makes the sound while cranking? I thought the cam phaser noise continued after cold starting until the engine warms up.

I thought maybe I had the issue but definitely don't if this is the characteristic sound.

Yes. The noise only lasts 2-5 seconds on a cold start.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the Cam Phaser and the Wastegates World Tour!

You might have gotten some leftover phasers that were made with those Mexican hardened plastic pins...

Not shittn either.

The cam phasers are made in USA by Borg Warner.

The cylinder heads and cams are NOT removed to service the cam phasers. Only the front cover and valve covers.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cam phasers are made in USA by Borg Warner.

The cylinder heads and cams are NOT removed to service the cam phasers. Only the front cover and valve covers.

Thanks FordTechOne. You are a trusted source for information. I truly always appreciate your posts

Here is a youtube link of the cab removed for those plastic can phasers.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been reading this forum for a long time now. I appreciate everyone’s insight comments opinions etc.

I special ordered this truck on 6-16-2019 the build date is 8-20-2019. It has been serviced exclusively by the selling dealer. I had the oil changed every ~3000 miles. It has 19k miles on it.

In reading past comments I was led to believe that Ford had fixed the cam phaser problem long before August 2019?

If the cam phasers in this engine are supposedly the “latest“ cam phasers something very weird is going on…

can anyone confirm any of this to be true?

The updated cam phasers (part level CC) went into production in July of 2018 on F-150. However, out of millions of phasers produced (4 per engine) that doesn’t mean there will never be a faulty one produced. Every mass produced part will have a failure rate.

To eliminate the specific locking pin failure mode that can occur due to variances in production tolerances, Ford released the CD service level part in 10/19. This part was redesigned internally to prevent the locking pin issue from occurring. This is the part that the dealer will install when performing the repair.