Can The Transmission's Shifting Be Improved ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ndFord

Reaction score
Of course. So if you aren't mashing the gas at every opportunity, it's really annoying. Mostly what it does is make me miss my manual trannies.

GordoJay,
Oh I feel ya there big time!

My lifetime vehicles from 1st to Latest:

'66 VW Bug (I was 16)
'74 Suzuki 3xx cc's (don't remember exactly. Do remember blowing it up)
'72 Celica
'76 HD Ironhead Sportster
'74 GMC Jimmy
'86 GMC Jimmy
'48 HD EL Panhead
'89 GMC Jimmy (sold when I returned to college full time and couldn't make payments)
'74 Landcruiser (college)
'94 Toyota pickup (grad school)
'01 1/2 VW Passat (kids, needed car seat space)
'06 Tacoma
'65 ('84, '92) 427 FE side-oiler Contemporary Classic Shelby Cobra S/C Roadster replica (hence my "2nd Ford" moniker)

and finally,
'18 Magnetic SCREW Raptor (I'm 58 now) Basically everything except carbon fiber and beadlocks.

Vehicles #1-13 were/are manuals. Raptor is the 1st automatic I've ever owned. And I posted a tranny problem about 2 weeks ago that the dealer can't trace. To this day, as I approach a stop my left foot rises up from the floor and my right hand reaches out for something that's not there. Hard to break a 42-year-old habit.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will love it. No more skip shift. Perfect gear holds and downshifts. It’s like driving with the paddle shifts without the work.
Never asked my local friends that are Goosed. But do the paddles shift any quicker under the tune?

Ducc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cobb sport tune is nice but I get a savage bog from 4-5 after it's been sitting. It's like clockwork leaving my office - same spot every time unless I baby the hell out of it. OEM+ doesn't do it but it's not nearly as fun. That said, all of this is better than stock.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was told it holds the gears in sport mode because it thinks you’re going to mash the gas.
Actually, it more or less holds RPMS around 1900-2000 and coordinates that with gear choice. If you floor it and then let off, the programming holds the gear, in anticipation of another, upcoming throttle mash or roll on.

Of course. So if you aren't mashing the gas at every opportunity, it's really annoying. Mostly what it does is make me miss my manual trannies.

Honestly, I like sport mode. Obviously, it isn’t for every occasion, but it’s great for what it’s intended to do which is to give the Raptor a street alternative to ECO mode, masquerading as ‘normal’. If you’re on a twisty mountain road, or, say, a long, rough dirt and gravel road, Sport / 4a is a solid choice, allowing you to get back on the throttle and boost quicker, in the correct gear for accelerating.

Unless you’re a closeted, prius driving hyper-miler, how is this a bad thing? The truck is waiting for you to give it some serious throttle, not putt-putt around the starbucks drive thru. So you select sport mode and the truck is like “ok, it’s on. Let’s roll!” and you’re like Miss Daisy with the throttle?

Raptor sport mode is great. Perfect? Of course not. Better than ‘normal mode’ ? yes and much more fun.

Billy D

Reaction score
Sport Mode 100% of the time? You must burn a sh**load of fuel...

When I use sport mode I also go back & forth from manual to shift it when it gets annoying.
It doesn't take much to make it do what you want it to.
The trans mission seems to "learn" over time by making it shift when you want .

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, I like sport mode. Obviously, it isn’t for every occasion...
Exactly. But all the time? Nope. What I finally realized is that the only reason Normal mode exists is the EPA. Tow/haul mode is what normal mode would have been in a world without the EPA. I prefer it.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hands down no question about it, GOOSETUNED is the best engine and trans tune ever. Best customer service, best support, best tune. Do not second guess it, just do it and you won’t regret it.
As someone who has a truck and trans tuned by Goose, I second this statement!

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never asked my local friends that are Goosed. But do the paddles shift any quicker under the tune?
I haven’t noticed a difference with the paddle shift speed personally after a Goose TCM. Not that I was expecting that to change.

OP
OP
2020Raptor

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for chiming in.
As a side question: anyone else not getting update emails ?
I used to get them all the time, and now nothing.

I experienced the Cobb OEM+ and Sport trans tunings.
Sport is way too brutal and the OEM+ just has different issues than stock.

The trans should have a decent idea of what I am doing and what is needed based on throttle position and such.
The shift speed is typically decent, but when it shifts and how hard are the issues.