GEN 2 Problem ID / Another Transmission Post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gen2genY

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 with a build date of June 4, 2018, <27K miles, purchased as used about two weeks ago from a "reputable" Lincoln dealership and had a third party PPI done. Noticed the transmission was a little rough and just figured it needed to be reprogramed or shifting tables cleared. I did purchase ESP though and it's still under factory powertrain warranty.

-----

Well, here I am nearly two weeks later and I'm experiencing super rough shifting and missed gears, primarily gears 2 and 5, regardless of how I aggressive I press the accelerator. Doesn't matter if I am intentionally slow and steady or driving like a normal vehicle (I have been too afraid to gun it - maybe that's the fix?) This is all in Normal mode, as I cant even drive in Sport mode without it stuttering in half the gear shifts it faces, so I'm just simply too afraid to use it.

I brought it to a Ford dealer on Tuesday and got the latest PCM reprogram, adaptive tables cleared, The Works, and the carpet shielding 18S27 recall handled. No noticeable difference.

After another highly irritating 30 minute drive tonight where I felt like I had to accelerate at a snail's pace I thought I would just take a look at the undercarriage. I noticed a leak, not sure if this is the oil pan or some other fluid pan (its black which I think means it's the plastic one even though based on build date it should have the metal one)

Trying to determine if this is just leftover drippings from perhaps a messy oil change done on Tuesday or if it is a legit leak or condensation from air conditioner. I reached in with a paper towel and it is light brown color and still has some wet to it but in theory that could just be dirt mixed with water.

1. Can anyone help identify what I'm seeing in these photos?
2. Anybody know if these pics and the transmission issues I'm having are related? Dealer says they can't get Transmission guy to look at it for another week and I'm already sick of my very first Ford.

I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 1F92418E-51FF-4640-832E-757B5161DB4D.jpeg
    1F92418E-51FF-4640-832E-757B5161DB4D.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 36
  • 13566067-7636-4A81-B9BD-51689974CA24.jpeg
    13566067-7636-4A81-B9BD-51689974CA24.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 34

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, that is definitely a plastic oil pan. Except for the leak, mine looks identical; 2017 with early build date.

That’s definitely an oil pan leak as well. Best that you found it now, rather than after any warranty coverage.
Despite the very low number of failures for the composite oil pan, Ford really grounded into a double play with this part. It’s plenty sturdy, well suited to the application except for the exceedingly low tolerance for out of tolerance installation or replacement. FRF is replete with stories of multiple oil pan replacements. It’s almost certainly poor workmanship, but procedurally, the process to correctly perform the repair is not difficult but it is very intricate and unforgiving.

When Ford rolled out the press intro for the 2017, F/P was questioned and criticized openly for a plastic pan. F/P scoffed at the premise that it would be a problem. Statistically, they were right, but, there was a high enough percentage to justify a part revision to a metal pan. hmmm.... maybe not such a smart business choice.

This is all in Normal mode, as I cant even drive in Sport mode without it stuttering in half the gear shifts it faces, so I'm just simply too afraid to use it.

Do a couple of additional tests.
1) use tow/haul mode. There is no gear skipping but shifting is not as aggressive as sport mode.
2) manual shifting mode.

see if shift patterns improve.

Make sure the truck and transmission are fully warmed up. The 10R80 has a very different feel when it’s cold and not yet at operating temps. So, once you have the truck warmed up, give it some moderate throttle to see how things go.

Normal mode is actually the regular F150 eco mode. It’s notoriously lazy, puts you in 10th gear by 42mph, taching barely 1100 rpms. You need to give it about 50-60% throttle to avoid the “skip gear” feature. Else, you will go 1-3-5. In sport it’s not supposed to skip, but I’ve been able to make it skip 3rd gear a couple times over 5 years. I had to really try to do this, barely any throttle at all - I was on a shopping center access road fully of unwashed peasants in their peasant cars.

I would also give sport mode an extended try. Sport holds gears to keep you in the power band, so don’t be put off by that. The motor is plenty capable of holding high rpm.

OP
OP
gen2genY

gen2genY

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, that is definitely a plastic oil pan. Except for the leak, mine looks identical; 2017 with early build date.

That’s definitely an oil pan leak as well. Best that you found it now, rather than after any warranty coverage.
Despite the very low number of failures for the composite oil pan, Ford really grounded into a double play with this part. It’s plenty sturdy, well suited to the application except for the exceedingly low tolerance for out of tolerance installation or replacement. FRF is replete with stories of multiple oil pan replacements. It’s almost certainly poor workmanship, but procedurally, the process to correctly perform the repair is not difficult but it is very intricate and unforgiving.

When Ford rolled out the press intro for the 2017, F/P was questioned and criticized openly for a plastic pan. F/P scoffed at the premise that it would be a problem. Statistically, they were right, but, there was a high enough percentage to justify a part revision to a metal pan. hmmm.... maybe not such a smart business choice.

Do a couple of additional tests.
1) use tow/haul mode. There is no gear skipping but shifting is not as aggressive as sport mode.
2) manual shifting mode.

see if shift patterns improve.

Make sure the truck and transmission are fully warmed up. The 10R80 has a very different feel when it’s cold and not yet at operating temps. So, once you have the truck warmed up, give it some moderate throttle to see how things go.

Normal mode is actually the regular F150 eco mode. It’s notoriously lazy, puts you in 10th gear by 42mph, taching barely 1100 rpms. You need to give it about 50-60% throttle to avoid the “skip gear” feature. Else, you will go 1-3-5. In sport it’s not supposed to skip, but I’ve been able to make it skip 3rd gear a couple times over 5 years. I had to really try to do this, barely any throttle at all - I was on a shopping center access road fully of unwashed peasants in their peasant cars.

I would also give sport mode an extended try. Sport holds gears to keep you in the power band, so don’t be put off by that. The motor is plenty capable of holding high rpm.
Thanks a ton. I really appreciate the thorough response. I am hopeful the leak is just remnants of a messy oil change as it's more dry today. I'll check again after i drive it tomorrow.

Interesting stuff on the transmission. I'll give those a shot.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Despite the high number of failures for the composite oil pan, Ford really grounded into a double play with this part and went back to a metal pan. Plastic pan is not sturdy, and not well suited to the application due to the exceedingly low tolerance for out of tolerance installation or replacement, and longevity problems. FRF is replete with stories of multiple oil pan replacements. It’s almost certainly poor design workmanship, but procedurally, the process to correctly perform the repair is not difficult. It is very intricate and unforgiving.

When Ford rolled out the press intro for the 2017, F/P was questioned and criticized openly for a plastic pan. F/P scoffed at the premise that it would be a problem. Statistically, they were very wrong, and there was a high enough percentage to justify a part revision to a metal pan. hmmm.... maybe not such a smart business choice to go plastic to start with.
I could not agree more with you… finally we agree on n the plastic pan is garbage.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I could not agree more with you… finally we agree on n the plastic pan is garbage.

Nice try, except that’s not what I said sasquatch77.

Misquoting me makes you a liar and like John Gotti said: ‘being a liar is like being a c*cksucker. Once a c*cksucker, always a c*cksucker.'

You should strive to be a better human.

Danlwells

Reaction score
My 2017 was bogging down in city traffic driving not wanting to downshift. It was also surging when I put it in first on cold starts. Also shifted hard when downshifting from 2nd to first (downshifting from all other gears was smooth). Took it to the dealer yesterday to check it out. Still have about 15kmiles left on 8 yr 100k premium care warranty. Dealer called and said no codes were retrieved. Said they cleared adaptive tables in the TCM and completed learn drive cycle. Said vehicle is shifting fine now. Went to pick vehicle up and they tell me that it’s not covered under warranty because no parts were necessary for the repair? They charged me one hour service at $300/hr + tax of course. Anyone else dealt with a software issue not being covered under warranty?

Also, my oil pan was replaced twice in two weeks about two years ago due to leakage. Apparently they didn’t let the gasket sealer cure long enough the first time. No issues since.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2017 was bogging down in city traffic driving not wanting to downshift. It was also surging when I put it in first on cold starts. Also shifted hard when downshifting from 2nd to first (downshifting from all other gears was smooth). Took it to the dealer yesterday to check it out. Still have about 15kmiles left on 8 yr 100k premium care warranty. Dealer called and said no codes were retrieved. Said they cleared adaptive tables in the TCM and completed learn drive cycle. Said vehicle is shifting fine now. Went to pick vehicle up and they tell me that it’s not covered under warranty because no parts were necessary for the repair? They charged me one hour service at $300/hr + tax of course. Anyone else dealt with a software issue not being covered under warranty?

Also, my oil pan was replaced twice in two weeks about two years ago due to leakage. Apparently they didn’t let the gasket sealer cure long enough the first time. No issues since.
$300 an hour? Are you in Hawaii?? That’s outrageous.

The most likely reason the dealer charged you is because they couldn’t figure out how to bill the adaptive relearn through warranty. Obviously they didn’t reference service messages, because the procedure they performed is exactly what is outlined in TSB 22-2139.

Procedure are as follows:

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• One of the following:
- 2017-2020 F-150
- 2018-2022 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang
- 2019-2022 Ranger

• 10R80 automatic transmission
• At least one of the following symptoms:
- Harsh engagement
- Harsh shift
- Delayed shift
Service Procedure

1. Are any of the following DTCs present: P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P0761, P0762, P0766, P0767, P0771, P0772, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704, P2705, P2707, P2708, P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F6 and/or P07F7?

(1). Yes - proceed to Step 4.

(2). No - proceed to Step 2.

2. Reprogram the transmission strategy download into the PCM/TCM. Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01.

3. Does the vehicle still exhibit the condition after performing the transmission strategy download and adaptive learning drive cycle?

(1). Yes - proceed to Step 4.

(2). No - repair is complete.

Danlwells

Reaction score
Thanks for the info FordTechOne. I’m going to pass this info along to my service advisor. I had no idea this transmission issue wouldn’t be covered under warranty. I would never agreed to $300/hr obviously. I’m assuming Ford would never reimburse the dealer for this ridiculous rate if this was a warranty issue.

Danlwells

Reaction score
Great news. I advised my service advisor of the TSB 22-139. They are now going to cover the transmission repair under warranty and refund my $300+tax. Too bad I had too spend hours of research to convince them that this was a warranty issue but I’m obviously happy with the outcome. I owe you a beer FordTechOne. From what I’ve seen on this forum, a lot of Raptor owners are indebted to you. Thanks for lookin out