GEN 2 Curious how other folks' gen 2 Raptors operate in sport mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EccentricRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I've posted a question similar to this in the past, but I never really got what I wanted out of the discussion, so I figured I'd give it another try at a different angle.

How does your gen 2 Raptor operate when in sport mode?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm curious if how mine operates is due to poorly done repairs (the service history in the FordPass app does show repairs to the transmission/clutch), failing hardware, or if it's truly just how the transmission is designed. While I realize I could go the route of using Forscan to play around with it, it is under a warranty that I don't want to void plus I'm not to the point of agitation to where I'd toy with the transmission software of a $60,000 truck. I've had the dealership look into a couple times - they always say that it's operating as designed, not throwing any codes, fluid levels are fine, or they can't reproduce it (I'm doubtful on the latter since I don't have to try to reproduce it). I've also had two transmission learning table wipes in a year (only have driven it about 7,000 miles in that time) plus a reprogram for harsh shifting.

I'm familiar with the harsher shifting in sport and I know that's just how they are based on what I've read/heard. But I can't find anyone else saying the following two things (what really bugs/concerns me) about being in sport mode. Does ANYONE else experience the two below things when in sport mode and did you do anything to resolve it (whether you were successful or not)?

1. On nearly every downshift when the gears are between 3 and 8, it revs the RPM up and holds it there causing it to lurch forward initially, speed up by a few MPH, and become noticeably louder (expected because the RPM went up by at least 500). While it's somewhat nice on back roads because it makes speeding back up after a curve slightly easier but coming to a total stop takes longer and if I brake harsher because I can't get it to slow down fast enough, I can hear it audibly clunk/buck when downshifting.
  2. If I let off on the gas pedal completely (or almost completely) just as I begin to go down a hill like I'm going to coast down it in gears lower than 8, it almost immediately downshifts once or twice bringing the RPM to 3000-4000 and then it holds it there until I give it an ample amount of gas to encourage an up shift or two.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, first off, don't mess with the software. Secondly, this is how mine acts:

-Holds gears longer
-When under large acceleration and I let off the gas pedal it will hold on to that gear until I slowly apply the gas (basically reassure it that I am not continuing to step on it)
-Sportier steering wheel mode
-When I start to brake it will upshift

Hope this helps!

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Normal Sport mode operation. It will hold gears longer and higher which occasionally will cause it to lurch forward depending on what you're doing with the throttle and brake. Shifts both up and down will be harsher and can sometimes clunk for me too. Remember, hard shifts are fast shifts. The truck is skipping the pleasantries to give you the most power/performance on tap at any time. It also doesn't know what you're planning or trying to do so it is guessing based on your inputs.

2. Yes, completely normal. The truck will almost jake brake itself going down a hill in sport mode. This is an exaggerated example but imagine you're on Laguna Seca about to take the corkscrew. You go hard on the brakes and dive down the left then right as you head downhill. Now ask yourself, would you want the truck picking up speed on its own? Or would you rather have it use the engine to maintain its speed until YOU tell it to pick it back up when the time comes.

IMO, Sport mode works best when you're in manual mode and you can avoid some of those programming quirks/features; from everything you described it sounds like regular operation. Now, remember after you got the transmission flashed if you went around hooning it trying to replicate the harshness the transmission will think "oh he wants crazy mode, ok you got it!" and go right back to slamming shifts and holding gears longer and higher.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well what had happened was…

A few weeks after I took delivery of my new 2019 Gen 2 I found myself at a red light alongside a Ram Rebel that had been riding my behind for a few miles due to what I imagine was his insecurity about the nonsense he was driving.

I figured it was a good a time as any to put her into Sport and open her up just a bit. Light turned green, I took off and within seconds I got an oil pressure warning, lost power, and immediately pulled over and shut her off. Full synthetic oil change at Ford to rid her of whatever was there from the factory not 24 hours prior. Checked for leaks. Levels. All good. Having checked everything that I could I started her back up and it was as if nothing ever happened.

I stayed there and called a family member who is a service advisor at a Ford dealership down here. Explained what happened. She practically finished my sentences. Told me that the way the software was calibrated in the Gen 2’s the truck under heavy acceleration at times would throw false low oil pressure signals and shut itself off as a precaution. She also warned me not to rely on oil pressure readings and levels via the gauges in the truck OR the Ford App as numerous customers were bringing bone dry Raptors into their dealership for service while their gauges displayed adequate oil pressure readings.

Thankfully it’s never happened again. I’ve driven her from Miami to Moab twice (first time was to attend the Raptor Assault Class) and all good aside from the notorious cam phaser replacement.

No issues with gear shifts in Sport. However for whatever reason (I’m sure some of you guys know better than me) after a cold start, when I start driving and accelerate very gradually, the transmission will momentarily stick in 3rd gear and then lunge into 4th. Dealer of course couldn’t replicate the issue and refused to keep the truck overnight to replicate what I was explaining.

Zev

Reaction score
However for whatever reason (I’m sure some of you guys know better than me) after a cold start, when I start driving and accelerate very gradually, the transmission will momentarily stick in 3rd gear and then lunge into 4th. Dealer of course couldn’t replicate the issue and refused to keep the truck overnight to replicate what I was explaining.
My truck does this exact thing only under gradual acceleration just as you described, no other issues and truck runs great.

OP
OP
E

EccentricRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate all the info and everything! :D It's certainly interesting to be designed that way, but I'm content with it hearing that it's normal. I'm the type of person that's drawn to quirks so long as they're quirks in the sense that it's just how something is versus something being wrong.

OP
OP
E

EccentricRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait till he tries Baja ;)
What's that mode like? Where I live it only makes sense to use normal, sport, and weather mode. I guess I could use some of the others, but I haven't ran into an opportunity to use them. I'm guessing it's for higher speeds in sandy areas?