GEN 2 Curious how other folks' gen 2 Raptors operate in sport mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's that mode like? Where I live it only makes sense to use normal, sport, and weather mode. I guess I could use some of the others, but I haven't ran into an opportunity to use them. I'm guessing it's for higher speeds in sandy areas?
'Supposed to be' and 'makes sense' aren't terms I use when talking about baja mode. If sport mode is fun, then baja mode is that one girl at a party pounding strawberritas, doing keg stands, and offering to fight the 6'3" dude. That kind of fun.

Baja will hold gears higher, keeps the turbos spooling for anti-lag purposes, shifts the brake balance forward, and alters the traction control and stability control to give you the best cornering possible. It might be the combo between my tune and exhaust but it will backfire and is overall a hoot to drive. Yes, it shines on dirt and is such a blast to use, but I will sometimes run it on the street in 2WD when I need a smile.

Ever see Split? Baja mode is the Beast. Normal mode is Hedwig.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What other cars/truck have you owned with “sport” modes? I ask because if your used to BMW/Merc/Porsche/Corvette etc…. Then you will have a different understanding of sport on a truck vs car +

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 18 used, sport mode had a lot of quirks as the previous owner (based on computer MPGs) drove it really easy.

Sport is my default mode and I drive it like a rental. All the quirks have disappeared and it shifts great etc now.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure its been said...however, if the truck is tuned, there will be other differences, mostly better in my experience.

Mike K

Reaction score
Mine burns more oil in sport.
I’ve had the shutdown experience and get a message in FP about improper oil usage. It was low on oil and fixed itself once I added some.

So watch your oil level if driving in sport mode a lot.

John Harshaw

Reaction score
When I bought my 18 used, sport mode had a lot of quirks as the previous owner (based on computer MPGs) drove it really easy.

Sport is my default mode and I drive it like a rental. All the quirks have disappeared and it shifts great etc now.
Did you have to do the reset or did the truck just come around to learning your habits? Mine is "quirky" as you put it in sport mode too. My normal mode is smooth as butter though.

RaptorIce

Reaction score
I just switched my gen 2 back to stock and it shifts like you describe. I forgot just how much of a difference my tune made.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aggressive downshifting, holding gears longer, boosting RPM when downshifting, are all the entire point of sport mode. You want your engine to keep RPM high, to maintain boost as long as possible. So it's operating exactly as intended.

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to do the reset or did the truck just come around to learning your habits? Mine is "quirky" as you put it in sport mode too. My normal mode is smooth as butter though.

Originally it was an awkward transition from previous owners habits.

I brought it in for cam phasers and they reflashed it.
Felt like terrible when I got it back* but feels phenomenal now as I gave it the spurs during the relearning process.

*Just dropped again for phasers. I repo’d it last time because the timeline they promised wasn’t going to happen and I needed truck for 2K/mi road trip over 4th.