Can The Transmission's Shifting Be Improved ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10-speed transmission's bad shifting is ruing my Raptor experience.
I drive in Sport mode 100% of the time.
Sometimes it holds a gear waaaaaay too long and sometimes shifts much too harshly.

The 8-speed transmission in the Dodge shifts perfectly.
Appropriately holding gears and shifting smoothly, smartly, and without slop.

I rode in a Raptor with a tuned transmission, but was not a complete solution.
It no longer over-held gears, but the shifting was sometimes very rough and felt a bit odd.

Can anyone improve this transmission's operation to where it should be ???

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sport mode will hold the gears longer. If you wanna rip thru gears, try tow/haul mode.

I have Cobb TCM tune. I never had harsh shifting but the TCM tune smoothed the gears out.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure on what year yours is but, my 17 and my buddies 20 are worlds different. his shifts are noticeably better in almost any scenario. I have heard getting a trans relearn done at the dealer can work, I just haven't done it because it doesn't bother me enough to be turn it in with zero rentals available.

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many options for that. I like my MPT tune however if you drive in sport mode any tune will hold gears as that is what it is designed to do. It tries to keep you in the rpm band for instant boost.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sport mode will hold the gears longer. If you wanna rip thru gears, try tow/haul mode.
^^^ This. Sport mode is just plain annoying unless you want to drive like a retard. I only use "retard" because my first ten choices will get replaced by asterisks. I mean it in full respect to all of you developmentally delayed people out there.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^ This. Sport mode is just plain annoying unless you want to drive like a retard. I only use "retard" because my first ten choices will get replaced by asterisks. I mean it in full respect to all of you developmentally delayed people out there.
Thank you for being considerate of my disability. :smoke2: I agree about not liking the sport mode either, because of how it hangs onto the gears. It's fun in the dirt if I am driving it like a dirt bike. I've gotten used to just leaving it in Normal.

Last edited: