GEN 2 Curious how other folks' gen 2 Raptors operate in sport mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EccentricRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'Supposed to be' and 'makes sense' aren't terms I use when talking about baja mode. If sport mode is fun, then baja mode is that one girl at a party pounding strawberritas, doing keg stands, and offering to fight the 6'3" dude. That kind of fun.

Baja will hold gears higher, keeps the turbos spooling for anti-lag purposes, shifts the brake balance forward, and alters the traction control and stability control to give you the best cornering possible. It might be the combo between my tune and exhaust but it will backfire and is overall a hoot to drive. Yes, it shines on dirt and is such a blast to use, but I will sometimes run it on the street in 2WD when I need a smile.

Ever see Split? Baja mode is the Beast. Normal mode is Hedwig.
Never seen Split - I remember the previews though. Thanks for the explanation! I'll give it a try for the fun of it sometime - I bought the fancy truck so I want to take as much advantage of the features as possible.

OP
OP
E

EccentricRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What other cars/truck have you owned with “sport” modes? I ask because if your used to BMW/Merc/Porsche/Corvette etc…. Then you will have a different understanding of sport on a truck vs car +
None - just hearing what various folks say about them across various vehicle types. I know, not the same as owning one.

My biggest thought with some of the things it does in sport is entirely a, "Is this how it's supposed to be? I don't want something to be on the path to failure." Since everyone says this is how it's designed, I'm perfectly content with it doing that. Since I've only ever heard about it tightening the steering, increasing the performance, holding gears, using all the gears, geared lower, and shifting harsher/quicker in sport I was concerned/curious about the way it downshifted.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Tonight I finally did notice- and appreciate- the more aggressive downshift and rpm matching does make the truck seem to speed up a little when slowing as a downshift occurs. I think this is emblematic of driving normally or slowly while using sport mode. I always liked this because I enjoy feeling the more positive transmission involvement.

Dr Racecraft

I’ma need about 3.50
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget which gear it is but if you redline it in manual shift mode it allegedly throws codes automatically, top of 3 maybe?

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait till he tries Baja ;)
Baja was bananas! I drove my Gen 2 out to the Raptor Assault course in Utah last year and got to tear up their Raptors in Baja mode for a day. Then i spent a week out in the mountains solo putting mine through its paces. It’s one thing to watch videos and read what a Raptor can do but it pales in comparison to being out there and letting the truck speak for itself. Took a solid day of climbing and descending very sketchy ridges with 3000 foot drop offs before I quit rehearsing how I would tell Geico the truck rolled off a cliff and began to really trust and understand just how capable Raptors are. Ended up in Baja mode out on the salt flats shortly thereafter. Amazing. And now she’s back home in Florida disguised as a pavement princess until the next adventure.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I forget which gear it is but if you redline it in manual shift mode it allegedly throws codes automatically, top of 3 maybe?

Nope. Can dispel this rumor :)

I’ve bounce the rev limiter in MM in gears 1-4, no codes.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baja is the best. The first time I used it was in Georgia up a dirt road on a mountain. I got about the same enjoyment as I did driving a 458 on a small course and that's saying something because the adrenaline hit from launching the 458 was intense. In fact, though I've always wanted a Ferrari, I kind of want it a lot less now because I can go almost anywhere I please if I need to in my truck. Since then, I've taken my truck out to some deep sand areas quite a bit and it has no issues. You just need to remember to take off traction control. And you can just floor it to pretty much get out of anything, at least in Florida sand. I made some pretty deep donuts.

Attachments

• Hoon01.jpg
    Hoon01.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Hoon02.jpg
    Hoon02.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 17