Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Bhollier you may want to update this thread too with your additive findings.

Everyone else - if you had a cam phaser failure / cold start rattle, put it in this poll so the OP has an accurate count.
Thanks for the note. Forgot about this poll.

Here is what I posted on the other thread:
I have report back on my test with the additive we developed. Did the oil change on my Raptor yesterday. New oil going in was not treat with the additive, after running the truck for about 3 hrs then starting up cold this morning (38 deg F ambient) and sitting overnight. Rattle was back. Prior to the oil change the rattle was basically gone with the exception of one start after the truck sat for 6 days without starting and starting after 6 days with an ambient temp of 45 deg F. I went ahead and did another round of treatment about an hour ago and let the motor run for about 30 min to properly soak the engine again with the additive. I won't know for sure if this has an effect until I have another cold start. Within 10 min of adding the additive I did notice a distinct difference in engine sound, much smoother running and quite.

I have also sent off the oil sample to Blackstone labs for a full analysis since my lab isn't set up for engine oils (we do more refining tests). Will post the results once I have them back.

AATA

Reaction score
This is my first post, but I've been following this forum since I bought my 2017 about 6 months ago. Thank you for all the info! I noticed the rattle about a month after purchasing my Raptor with 34k on it. First dealer told me it was a normal sound coming from the transmission. I read somewhere on this forum that another dealer said the same thing. I didn't believe this, so I took it to another dealer. They knew exactly what it was, and said they will get the parts ordered. Took about a month for the parts to come in and 3 days to fix it. I confirmed it's the new part numbers. Hopefully the new parts work!

Added one to the poll!

Thank you!

pwnall1337

Reaction score
For any of the people with cam phaser issues, do you check your oil level frequently? It's not too abnormal for the engine to consume a quart within 3k miles on a turbocharged 3.5 constantly running 18-19 psi. Lack of oil over time could cause the phasers to fail.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not an oil level issue. I wish it was that simple.

For any of the people with cam phaser issues, do you check your oil level frequently? It's not too abnormal for the engine to consume a quart within 3k miles on a turbocharged 3.5 constantly running 18-19 psi. Lack of oil over time could cause the phasers to fail.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That actually is not a contributor to this. The root of the issue seems to be lack of oil flow right at startup and you have metal on metal as the phasers move. @Bhollier has identified a formulation to add to the oil that actually fixes this issue. Ford has new parts released, but they don't seem to be a pure fix. They don't understand oil flow apparently! This cam phaser cold rattle issue has been beaten to death... oil type, oil filter, oil level, OCI make no difference on this cold start rattle. The only thing that has stopped the rattle is the additive that @Bhollier developed.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
New phasers installed. It was much quicker than I thought it would be. Foe everyone dreading it it was not nearly as bad as I though it would be and she never left me stranded. Question: new phaser has a part number HL3Z6C552CD. Is that the most current iteration?

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New phasers installed. It was much quicker than I thought it would be. Foe everyone dreading it it was not nearly as bad as I though it would be and she never left me stranded. Question: new phaser has a part number HL3Z6C552CD. Is that the most current iteration?
Mine was “6C525C”

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That actually is not a contributor to this. The root of the issue seems to be lack of oil flow right at startup and you have metal on metal as the phasers move. @Bhollier has identified a formulation to add to the oil that actually fixes this issue. Ford has new parts released, but they don't seem to be a pure fix. They don't understand oil flow apparently! This cam phaser cold rattle issue has been beaten to death... oil type, oil filter, oil level, OCI make no difference on this cold start rattle. The only thing that has stopped the rattle is the additive that @Bhollier developed.

How many times do I have to repeat this...there is no "lack of oil flow on startup". You have no credentials or understanding of the system or even engines in general, yet you just love to speculate and spread misinformation on this forum.

The phasers remain in the locked position until oil pressure is sufficient to lift the locking pin and fill the phaser oil cavity. There is no "metal on metal", the cam phaser either parks properly or doesn't park properly. It's not reliant on any form of hydrodynamic lubrication. If the phaser doesn't park properly, it will rattle on startup since oil pressure hasn't reached it to stabilize the position. The only person here who doesn't understand oil flow is YOU.

The user who has experimented with the oil additive is working on the principle of preventing the cam phaser locking pin failure before it happens. Once the pin fails to lock, no additive will fix that.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yes, that is the updated engineering part number.