Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been running Amsoil synthetic from 700 miles and do oil changes around 3k miles. My truck has 18500 miles on it and so far so good. Fingers crossed. I do miss my gen1!!

3k miles on Amsoil between changes? Do you run your truck hard and off-road a lot? Sounds premature to change @ 3k. This was my Dino oil change schedule years ago.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2D23D5D4-A7FE-47FA-A06C-30EFC69CB589.jpeg
3k miles on Amsoil between changes? Do you run your truck hard and off-road a lot? Sounds premature to change @ 3k. This was my Dino oil change schedule years ago.
I do run her hard, wish I got off-road more often! For the small cost of oil I’m ok doing it more frequently. I do all of my own work. And use truck for how it was intended! It was white

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol you go man. Ok so you play rough with her. Better safe than sorry then. I used to do Mobil 1 at 3k years back. But learned it can go 5k no problem like most full synthetics. But I’m not one to criticize over care. I always over built my hot rods and took wxyra care.

I like that picture!!!!!

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol you go man. Ok so you play rough with her. Better safe than sorry then. I used to do Mobil 1 at 3k years back. But learned it can go 5k no problem like most full synthetics. But I’m not one to criticize over care. I always over built my hot rods and took wxyra care.

I like that picture!!!!!
That was a raptor take over/rto at rausch creek in pa. Check em out

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's making the noise, voting.

Mine has around 18k miles, has been driven in sport mode 24x7 (not start stop related). Oil changed every ~5k miles, never run low, mobil1 synthetic.

Among my group of friends, I am familiar with 6 Gen2 raptors. 4/6 have had the cam phaser issue. I've had a couple other cars with serious known gremlins (LS7 -> exhaust valve, BMW S65 -> rod bearings), but have never seen such a fail rate for the other gremlins. At least this one doesn't immediately grenade a $$$$$$$$ engine, and in the case of the LS7, sometimes lead to a crash.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine's making the noise, voting.

Mine has around 18k miles, has been driven in sport mode 24x7 (not start stop related). Oil changed every ~5k miles, never run low, mobil1 synthetic.

Among my group of friends, I am familiar with 6 Gen2 raptors. 4/6 have had the cam phaser issue. I've had a couple other cars with serious known gremlins (LS7 -> exhaust valve, BMW S65 -> rod bearings), but have never seen such a fail rate for the other gremlins. At least this one doesn't immediately grenade a $$$$$$$$ engine, and in the case of the LS7, sometimes lead to a crash.

That’s how I feel - got the DOD lifted tick/failure on GM 6.2 - if you’re a moron & keep
Driving it like that eventually dropped lifters/valves wipe cam out wreck engine.

W/ the cam phaser issue its a slow progression I had no qualms tuning it after I put about a years worth of driving on it & 16k miles - between the time you start to notice the issue to where it gets unbearable seems like you got a solid 60-90 days anyhow you could roll around untuned piling up data/ignition cycles by the time it’s in for repair the tune shouldn’t even be an issue.

I do think letting the truck warm up fully & doing more frequent oil changes can’t hurt b/c seems like cold starts is where the problem
Begins

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly is the DOD issue on the 6.2? I have never heard of that until recently, and it was just on this forum.
With the key cycles, ford has some kind of algorithm that matches key cycles to miles. I do not think removing the tune and driving around a bit will fix that. if you tuned at 16k miles, had an issue at 18k miles, and drove another 2k miles on stock tune, I think you are out of luck. The key cycles will not match 20k miles.... it's more like 2k miles.
The more people talk about this issue, the more there is proof that nothing solidly fixes the issue or prevents it from happening. It is not oil specific, it is not filter specific, it is not change interval specific, it is not start/stop specific, it is not "hold the gas down while starting" specific, etc. It just happens. With all the different phaser part number revisions, it is evident ford doesn't understand it either. It was said here before that it sounds like ford is just limping these things out of warranty as they have other engines replacing 3.5 in the future and they are just focused on those. It is surprising that since 2010, no ford engineer has figured out how to not have failed cam phasers on a 3.5 ecoboost.
One other item I am not sure about. Does anyone know if the NA 3.5 engine also has cam per failures? I guess I don't recall ever reading about those.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What exactly is the DOD issue on the 6.2? I have never heard of that until recently, and it was just on this forum.
With the key cycles, ford has some kind of algorithm that matches key cycles to miles. I do not think removing the tune and driving around a bit will fix that. if you tuned at 16k miles, had an issue at 18k miles, and drove another 2k miles on stock tune, I think you are out of luck. The key cycles will not match 20k miles.... it's more like 2k miles.
The more people talk about this issue, the more there is proof that nothing solidly fixes the issue or prevents it from happening. It is not oil specific, it is not filter specific, it is not change interval specific, it is not start/stop specific, it is not "hold the gas down while starting" specific, etc. It just happens. With all the different phaser part number revisions, it is evident ford doesn't understand it either. It was said here before that it sounds like ford is just limping these things out of warranty as they have other engines replacing 3.5 in the future and they are just focused on those. It is surprising that since 2010, no ford engineer has figured out how to not have failed cam phasers on a 3.5 ecoboost.
One other item I am not sure about. Does anyone know if the NA 3.5 engine also has cam per failures? I guess I don't recall ever reading about those.

The DOD - displacement on demand- issue isn’t a Ford problem it’s a GM (and Ram) issue.

As for the cam phasers- It isn’t a raptor specific or 3.5 specific issue- Ford has cam phaser issues w/ other engines in the lineup including 5.0 V8

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/5-0-phaser-failures-381192/

Just like Honda can’t seem to build their own auto trannies that don’t geenade w/o fluid flushed every 25k miles- Ford can’t seem to figure out cam phaser/timing chain durability out. Nobody is perfect.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
You are correct, I tried to do this before I took i it in for service and only got to 88 key cycles in the 1000 miles. I have a great service advisor and was straight forward with him and just paid out of pocket for what I needed. We will see if they deny my warranty if I need it. However they just did the oil pan again (3rd new in 30k) and said nothing, all covered under warranty including a $1000 for rental truck.