Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wonder if the used oil is causing the phaser solenoid(s) to stick which is causing the phaser to get stuck in a position. I believe the solenoids have very small screens for the oil to pass through. Maybe fine particles have clogged one up lodging and dislodging affecting the solenoid function.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

No. The issue was isolated to a manufacturing (supplier) issue with the phasers themselves.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what I don't get, if Ford and the dealerships all say it is a common problem why hasn't a recall been initiated. Sounds like a class action lawsuit brewing at some point.

Because the failures are occurring under warranty and Ford identified the issue and released a TSB to resolve it, costing owners nothing out of pocket.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because the failures are occurring under warranty and Ford identified the issue and released a TSB to resolve it, costing owners nothing out of pocket.
OK but many are saying that their dealers are saying things like, "it's within spec" or just saying it's normal... I will need to get this done as I'm having the issue every now and then but I want to wait until many more have been done.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK but many are saying that their dealers are saying things like, "it's within spec" or just saying it's normal... I will need to get this done as I'm having the issue every now and then but I want to wait until many more have been done.

Unfortunately, dealers are not Ford Corporate stores (as with all OEMs). They are individual franchises, and they can dictate how they deal with warranty, parts, and out of warranty repairs as they see fit. In your case, I'd recommend calling the Ford CRC (Customer Relationship Center) to document your issue and request that it be taken seriously. All too often a dealership call from the CRC or a change in dealerships delivers results.

Rappie

Reaction score
So if it's the phaser by itself causing the problem and not an underlying issue (just guessing like solenoids or oil pressure related or computer software not calibrated to within the newest spec or whatever) I wonder why I've read on here people having them changed over and over again one guy on here I read 3 times so far. So he must've gotten 3 bad batches of phasers I'm not sure that makes sense to me. Just sayin..

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I thought you said it was a solenoid problem. You sound like Smurf or Sasquatch... One in the same.
what did I tell you about the red card?

it’s time for you to find a new hobby.