Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foxcroft007

Reaction score
Thought I’d give an update. Had cam phaser repair done. Dealer had truck for a little over a week...mostly waiting for parts. I did cold start this morning and the noise is gone...at least for now. I’m posting parts list for those that are interested. I also had hard shift in sport mode fixed but I’m not sure if that is related. Also, I noticed that before the repair it was taking long to crank before it would start. This appears to be gone as well.

02E0933A-0279-4116-9504-A97DD10D2AD3.jpeg

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Correct, the PCM calibration gets updated per the SSM. The process to perform the update does not involve manually checking the calibration though, the tech simply selects "Module Programming > Module Reprogramming > PCM" in IDS and it updates itself. I'd be wary of re-installing any tune unless it can be verified that the tune contains the updated calibration Ford released for this concern.
Good call I didn’t even think about that.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good call I didn’t even think about that.

let us know what happens as far as that goes - you had an MPT tune correct? Very curious what they say about this or whether its non-issue altogether....I mean at the end of the day its mostly a hard part warranty fix for the most part, no?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good info, i am big on oil quality and filters , fram has a terrible rep (orange cheapo cans) but the fram ultras are well made with a very good filter media but they lack the proper no dirty oil bypass that the OE motorcraft has. In fact many aftermarket filters lack this additional stack of hardware but its very important to not bypass thru the dirty side of the filter. So redline oil and oem MC filters for me. If you do learn of the root cause of the phaser issues i would love to know. How do you feel about the low 20’s psi oil pressure the raptors run when not under positive manifold pressure? Seems a bit low for my liking combined with the start stop business.

Yes, Fram is one of the filters that was found to disintegrate and allow filter media to travel throughout the engine, scoring bearings surfaces. In regards to oil pressure on Gen II 3.5 GTDI, pressure in the low 20's is design intent. When their is no load on the engine, significant oil pressure is not required to maintain hydrodynamic film between the bearings and journals. Running lower oil pressure under low demand conditions reduces oil aeration and pump wear and increases engine efficiency. In fact, Workshop Manual Specifications for minimum oil pressure at 1500RPM (Pump in "low" mode) is 20 PSI.

Here is a great video on the new USCAR-36 adapted by SAE:

This one explains 3V cam phaser concerns:

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
let us know what happens as far as that goes - you had an MPT tune correct? Very curious what they say about this or whether its non-issue altogether....I mean at the end of the day its mostly a hard part warranty fix for the most part, no?
Cobb/Goose tune. My tune is based off of the stock tune off my ECU/vin combo? I will contact both (Cobb/Goose) and see what they say.

JTK

Reaction score
This sucks! I heard the cam phaser rattle at cold start yesterday. My Raptor was built in July-2019 with 6800 miles. I've already had two oil changes with Penzoil Ultra Platium full synthetic oil thinking this would help, it didn't. I had my dealer order the parts just now, he told me they won't even give him an ETA on the parts it's so far out. he said they redesigned the phasers in Sept 2019 but who knows how many engines were sitting there with the old phasers waiting to find a home. He said it's ok to drive it but Damn Ford, this is my third Raptor and every one has given me some problems. It's frustrating to know this problem has been going on for so long. Ok, I'm done venting.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I’d give an update. Had cam phaser repair done. Dealer had truck for a little over a week...mostly waiting for parts. I did cold start this morning and the noise is gone...at least for now. I’m posting parts list for those that are interested. I also had hard shift in sport mode fixed but I’m not sure if that is related. Also, I noticed that before the repair it was taking long to crank before it would start. This appears to be gone as well.

View attachment 137088
I have a 2019 built after the issue was supposed to have been fixed on the production line and I had the exact same work done that you show, but unfortunately my truck still sounds like a diesel when I start it up, so it is going back in tomorrow morning to be reassessed.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
This sucks! I heard the cam phaser rattle at cold start yesterday. My Raptor was built in July-2019 with 6800 miles. I've already had two oil changes with Penzoil Ultra Platium full synthetic oil thinking this would help, it didn't. I had my dealer order the parts just now, he told me they won't even give him an ETA on the parts it's so far out. he said they redesigned the phasers in Sept 2019 but who knows how many engines were sitting there with the old phasers waiting to find a home. He said it's ok to drive it but Damn Ford, this is my third Raptor and every one has given me some problems. It's frustrating to know this problem has been going on for so long. Ok, I'm done venting.

Wow serious? Mine is also a Sept 2019 build. I posted early on that engines were probably built and sitting there for a while so 2019s could indeed have the older parts. Mybe even 2020s. But anything built after the 2018 date (updated from the 4/2019 date) shouldn't have the issue. Still, if the part had to be updated then all should be affected but supposedly they're not so it's just a big fat mystery.

I hear the issue on mine but it's quiet (scaled down in volume but all the characteristics are there) but hasn't changed in volume yet.

This is mine: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-engine-failure-reports.64826/page-91

Is yours soft like mine or really loud and obvious like the most common?

There's been question if 2019s+ have it. You have a late 2019 so, if you have it, you'd be one of the first for 2019.

Post a video if you can...

JTK

Reaction score
Wow serious? Mine is also a Sept 2019 build. I posted early on that engines were probably built and sitting there for a while so 2019s could indeed have the older parts. Mybe even 2020s. But anything built after the 2018 date (updated from the 4/2019 date) shouldn't have the issue. Still, if the part had to be updated then all should be affected but supposedly they're not so it's just a big fat mystery.

I hear the issue on mine but it's quiet (scaled down in volume but all the characteristics are there) but hasn't changed in volume yet.

This is mine: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-engine-failure-reports.64826/page-91

Is yours soft like mine or really loud and obvious like the most common?

There's been question if 2019s+ have it. You have a late 2019 so, if you have it, you'd be one of the first for 2019.

Post a video if you can...

Man, I don't hear a rattle on your video, I would say your truck doesn't have the cam phaser issue based on the video. Mine is intermittent right now but very noticeable, metal to metal rattle for 2-3 seconds. I'm taking a video every time I start my truck so I'll post when i have it. IMO, I wouldn't say late build 2019 raptors are safe from this problem.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I don't hear a rattle on your video, I would say your truck doesn't have the cam phaser issue based on the video. Mine is intermittent right now but very noticeable, metal to metal rattle for 2-3 seconds. I'm taking a video every time I start my truck so I'll post when i have it. IMO, I wouldn't say late build 2019 raptors are safe from this problem.
I didn't hear anything in that video either. My late April 2019 build which has already had the cam phaser fix has a very pronounced diesel sound until it warms up (takes at least 30 seconds and sometimes much longer to go away).