Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
Ok, hope this works. Here is the video of the cam phaser sound, that I was finally able to upload, from my truck.

2019 Sept/Oct build, 2K miles, brand new.

Not sure why I didn't get the updates from what FordTechOne is talking about but, as you can hear, I have the exact same sound as the "cam phaser issue". At this point, the sound is very quiet. If you were standing a few from the front of the truck, you may not hear it especially if you're not aware of the issue or are not looking for it but you can clearly hear it. The beginnings or normal?

My guess is in a few years, or ~10K miles, I'll have the full blown issue at which point I'll trade for a Tundra. My guess is the 2020s will have the issue as well, seeing as how they built mine knowing they were bad. They will probably keep using them until all the stock runs out.

Now if FordTechOne chimes in and says this sound is normal, as long as it doesn't get worse, I'm fine with that....

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, hope this works. Here is the video of the cam phaser sound, that I was finally able to upload, from my truck.

Not sure why I didn't get the updates from what FordTechOne is talking about but, as you can hear, I have the exact same sound as the "cam phaser issue". At this point, the sound is very quiet. If you were standing a few from the front of the truck, you may not hear it especially if you're not aware of the issue or are not looking for it but you can clearly hear it. The beginnings or normal?

My guess is in a few years, or ~10K miles, I'll have the full blown issue at which point I'll trade for a Tundra. My guess is the 2020s will have the issue as well, seeing as how they built mine knowing they were bad. They will probably keep using them until all the stock runs out.

Now if FordTechOne chimes in and says this sound is normal, as long as it doesn't get worse, I'm fine with that....

My EB engines have never sounded like that at startup. I would not consider that normal.

You got a 5yr 60K drivetrain warranty, just let Ford tear it down and swap out the phasers then sell the POS.

SmokieRiver

Reaction score

My 2019 (June '19 build) with 7,000 sounds exactly the same and has since 5,000 miles. The colder the day, the louder it sounds. Had it in the dealer for it and was told as long as it does not last for 5 seconds or more, or throws a code, it's considered normal. The tech said if he was to replace the cam phasers, it just do the same thing.

Not saying I believe it's normal, or won't get worse, but just what I've been told. I won't be owning this vehicle outside the powertrain warranty given that sound.

Stu

Reaction score
Sounds like a workmanship issue. When a replacement turbocharger is installed, the turbocharger oil filter, oil supply line, and oil return line must ALL be replaced. Many dealers don't read the Workshop Manual, and end up re-using these components and causing a repeat failure. The turbocharger oil filter is located in the side of the engine block where the oil supply line connects:

imagen2.dll

Do you have maintenance records from the previous owner? The #1 cause of turbocharger failure is a lack of lubrication and poor quality/dirty oil. The IWE is an easy repair, there is a TSB with specific instructions to help the dealer diagnose the issue properly. The TSB also includes a calibration update to prevent future issues. As far as the shuttering, can you tell if it's engine or transmission related?

That is some great info. I reviewed standard/ consistent maintenance from the original owner, but the most recent service included turbo, sunroof tracks, hoses etc for turbo replacement. The fact the same turbo went bad within 2 months is likely workmanship, and I agree iwe is a simple fix. The shuttering happens sporadically and the mpg gauge goes crazy with it. The truck sounded like a diesel, and with phasers, turbo etc all creating issues, the dealer agreed yesterday to refund my $ since I likely won’t have it back until end of january(maybe). Just too many issues for a truck I only had for 6 days. I cannot speak highly enough about the dealer, and their efforts - brought me a loaner from 300m away, upped my warranty and offered to pay my Leon until it was repaired, but my gut is telling me to punt on this one. I will be left without a vehicle, and is a huge inconvenience, but I will fine another.

Stu

Reaction score
Yes. Build date cutoff was 04/2019, at which point they were still building 2019 models.

Question- how common is the cam phaser issue. This is my first EB experience, Love the raptor design, but slightly nervous about diving into another(likely will). Lots of mixed messages on all the boards so would love to hear from someone from Ford. Looking at auto trader, the # of buy backs seems large, on used cars, but I imagine if no one is. Having issues they still have theirs.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2.7 example

So you found two...(2)...examples on YouTube and now you're making the assertion that there is a widespread problem over hundreds of thousands of 2.7L engines? ANY engine component has a possibility of being faulty; there is no pattern failures on 2.7L engines or any other engine that uses the same design aside from the 3.5. In the first video it was stated that the engine only had 500 miles on it; clearly it received a faulty phaser during production. Most likely only one phaser is at fault and can be isolated one the front cover is removed.

For 2.7 engines that have had their oil changed at aftermarket facility, they often damage the housing stem or do not replace the housing o-rings. This results in low engine oil pressure, especially on a cold start. Ford released the following message:

SSM 47922 - Various Vehicles - 2.7L/3.0L EcoBoost Engine - Oil Filter Service Tip

When servicing the oil filter on vehicles equipped with a 2.7L or 3.0L EcoBoostengine it is critical to inspect the oil filter housing center stem to verify is not separated or damaged. If the center stem is damaged or separated from the housing this will result in oil flow through the reservoir drain port causing low engine oil pressure and internal engine damage. If the filter housing stem is damaged or separated, the oil filter housing must be replaced. If the center stem is not damaged or separated, the O-ring seals on the stem and housing must be replaced each time the filter is serviced.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question- how common is the cam phaser issue. This is my first EB experience, Love the raptor design, but slightly nervous about diving into another(likely will). Lots of mixed messages on all the boards so would love to hear from someone from Ford. Looking at auto trader, the # of buy backs seems large, on used cars, but I imagine if no one is. Having issues they still have theirs.

Find a new or used one produced after the build date cutoff of 7/10/2018. As far as how "common" it is, that is hard to measure. Remember nobody is going to start a thread saying "My Cam Phasers are so Quiet!"; so all you will see are the posts with people having problems which must be put into perspective.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a real shit design on the 2.7L oil filter housing. I've only changed two vehicles with the filters up top, one a Cadillac and one a Subaru, but both had all metal housings and there was absolutely nothing to break, even if you tried. You open it, pull the old filter and pop in a new one. They both had 1 o-ring on the cap to seal.

I like Fords, but damn- now we have a filter housing design that can't withstand the typical oil change monkey, and that can lead to complete engine failure? JFC. Just give us the spin on style if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.