Broken Driver side half shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
be nice now. we were all rookie drivers at one point.

4wd and donuts do not mix. especially in sand where the wheels get below the surface and then you start fighting the steering. instant damage. doesnt matter if other trucks can do it or not, its just not what you want to do in terrain like that. however, it can be easily fixed if you can find the part
I was being nice.....really [emoji56].

I was a rookie driver when I was 14, and learned to take care of things, otherwise, broken = $$$$.

If I knew I had no dealer support I wouldn’t go beat on it for certain. Even with being in the states, I don’t pound my stuff to pieces,, because $$$$.

It sucks for the OP, hopefully lesson learned, and don’t let friends talk you into fun stuff, because they won’t pay for any damages, seen it many times.

OP sorry I was such an ass, I do let my mouth get the best of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But the Raptor is the toughest truck in the world! That was something hard for the truck?My wife CRV will not broke if i do the same.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Not likely. Below is a CR-V axle, it's about the thickness of a toothpick. CV axle failure is certainly not "normal" for a Raptor; who ever is claiming that is grossly misinformed. Do you have a lift on the truck by chance? I remember a while back you had a CV boot failure; did you replace the entire axle or just the boot?

000000720951.jpg

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like it snapped because you were spinning fast in 4wd and as soon as your drivers front hit the wet sand it completely hooked up and snapped. Look at your video, the instant the drivers front hits wet sand while spinning hard and under power,, it goes bang. Huge traction difference between the hard wet sand and the loose dry sand, to hit it like that spun up in 4wd. That's like spinning hard in the mud and one front tire gets on a sidewalk, something will break.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not likely. Below is a CR-V axle, it's about the thickness of a toothpick. CV axle failure is certainly not "normal" for a Raptor; who ever is claiming that is grossly misinformed. Do you have a lift on the truck by chance? I remember a while back you had a CV boot failure; did you replace the entire axle or just the boot?

000000720951.jpg
Sadly i ordered the boot and the parts code was not good. It is not the same as f-150. The boot of the Raptor is different. Mine is still ok, i made a good job with some tape and glue. Unfortunately the black Raptor is friend of mine car. We are a group of 4 friends with Raptors. He sent me a video to show me and i decided to make it public in Raptor group and forum (with he's consent of course) All our raptors are stock, no lift and no tuning. He just wanted to be american for few second playing with the raptor. Was not a succes :). The drive shaft will arrive in 2 weeks and that is it.
The opinions regarding this drive shaft are very confusing. Let's say i am at Baja race, i am nut doing donuts, but i am turning high speed and the and will become somehow a half donuts. (hope you get me) i need to expect that during a competition my shaft will broke? The 4 wd is made just to take you out? (For sure not dry paved road). How should i drive on unpaved road with high speed, 2 wd? That comments... :)

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^THIS^^^ you can do better donuts in 2wd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

totally disagree.. 4wd donuts on slippy surfaces are always faster and much more g-forces and fun inside..

I think hitting the water with the back, contributed to the failure, but i cant remember seeing an cv axle broke like this.. at least it didnt tear a lot up when it broke..

idk.. might just be a fluke..

edit: having the wheel turned all the way while mashed gas and spinning tires def contributed..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
4wd and donuts do not mix. especially in sand where the wheels get below the surface and then you start fighting the steering. instant damage. doesnt matter if other trucks can do it or not, its just not what you want to do in terrain like that. however, it can be easily fixed if you can find the part

He just wanted to be american for few second playing with the raptor. Was not a succes :)

He could always join FRF and pretend to be American on the internet. much cheaper :)

The opinions regarding this drive shaft are very confusing. Let's say i am at Baja race, i am nut doing donuts, but i am turning high speed and the and will become somehow a half donuts. (hope you get me) i need to expect that during a competition my shaft will broke? The 4 wd is made just to take you out? (For sure not dry paved road). How should i drive on unpaved road with high speed, 2 wd? That comments... :)

I quoted @The Car Stereo Company and underlined the important part of his post, the issue you(r friend) encountered was due to the varying traction conditions and the somewhat ... enthusiastic ... shenanigans. Look at that roll over video posted.

Beach sand is not desert sand. There’s a difference between running really hard in a mostly straight line with some curves vs. donuts in beach sand. A lot of difference.

if you are in desert sand, snow, etc, 4wd is fine. It’s made for low traction. 4wd is not fine for hooligan stuff where you might find some serious traction, especially when the front then has to fight the direction the truck is going.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I'm going to add a few thoughts, flame me if y'all like, but here goes...

1. If you try hard enough, anything will break. Raptors are not indestructible, nor is any other vehicle anywhere close to a Raptor's pricepoint.

Doing donuts at the waterline on the beach is NOT what the truck was designed for.

2. 4wd donuts are a bad idea.

If you want to do 4wd donuts, go see if travis pastrana or ken block are willing to sell a gymkhana car to you.

3. If the driver was in 4A, it is especially the driver's fault, not a design failure.

The truck is going to apply more power to the wheels with more grip. You can CLEARLY see that the rear wheels were throwing out more sand/water. Apply all that power to the front wheels, with the wheels turned, and snizzap!

Furthermore, if ALL of the traction control and stability control functions were not turned off, not only is the truck shifting power to the tires with more grip, it is also applying brake to the wheels that are slipping, thereby increasing the potential for a momentary bind int he drivetrain which = snizzap!

4. That is EXACTLY the component that you WANT to fail in that scenario. It is, by far, the easiest breakage to trail fix. it is the LEAST expensive part of the entire driveline to replace. ( and arguably the least time-intensive repair to perform out of all the possibilities.

lastly, you would never catch me doing shit like that. you're literally BEGGING for a component failure. The driver is EXTREMELY lucky that he or she got out of that idiocy with such an easy fix. The best modification that you can make in this hobby is the "driver mod". Knowing what the truck is capable of, when to push it, when to pull back, and when to not let your ego get the best of you is what makes a good driver.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Sadly i ordered the boot and the parts code was not good. It is not the same as f-150. The boot of the Raptor is different. Mine is still ok, i made a good job with some tape and glue. Unfortunately the black Raptor is friend of mine car. We are a group of 4 friends with Raptors. He sent me a video to show me and i decided to make it public in Raptor group and forum (with he's consent of course) All our raptors are stock, no lift and no tuning. He just wanted to be american for few second playing with the raptor. Was not a succes :). The drive shaft will arrive in 2 weeks and that is it.

a raptor is NOT a trophy truck or race vehicle. When you race in Baja, you aren't racing your competitors, you are racing BAJA. The terrain will break anything that you bring if you run out of driving talent.

As the late, GREAT Pistol Pete once said, " a great driver in a mediocre truck will beat a bad driver in a great truck, every single time. That's what is great about desert racing."