broken coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pa raptor

Reaction score
I’ll let Ford pay for it. I think proper inspection will prevent an accident.
I think it is broken for a period of time until it work hardens so bad it just snaps under normal load.
The visual inspection should look for geometry differences. Is there a flat spot, distance between coils change etc….
Not Ford, do it yourself each time you wash it. Simple visual inspection.
This is the visual of it not far from it breaking, the shop and I did not see anything wrong with it when replacing the other. This is a Ford dealership if they are supposed to be selling these types of trucks there should be a process for them. If not then where can I get it maintained so it doesn’t come back on me and hurt my warranty. Also people that normally off road maybe should really check but not 27,000 miles and don’t take it off pavement or haven’t experienced a wreck.

Attachments

• 811FC4B8-A132-460A-B731-6890D65863F3.jpeg
    811FC4B8-A132-460A-B731-6890D65863F3.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 29

Pa raptor

Reaction score
It looked like they were breaking about the same spot just past the retainer or seat.
Im just not willing to void any change of Ford covering it by spending 7-800 on new springs. When we see rust, there is a good chance we could catch it before it completely fails.
Not only same spot but also around the same miles.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the visual of it not far from it breaking, the shop and I did not see anything wrong with it when replacing the other. This is a Ford dealership if they are supposed to be selling these types of trucks there should be a process for them. If not then where can I get it maintained so it doesn’t come back on me and hurt my warranty. Also people that normally off road maybe should really check but not 27,000 miles and don’t take it off pavement or haven’t experienced a wreck.
Am I having a monument or does it look like the coil, below the one with the blue B tag, Is bigger or further from the shock? Probably just my old eyes.
About where in the above picture did it break?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I having a monument or does it look like the coil, below the one with the blue B tag, Is bigger or further from the shock? Probably just my old eyes.
I think it looks consistent in cross section, and maybe slightly out of concentric position relative to the shock body. I think visual prediction/diagnosis of spring failure would be extremely difficult and require removal and inspection for stress cracking/fractures to be thorough.

Last edited:

Pa raptor

Reaction score
I think the cover on the fox shock and that the coil spring is smaller diameter on the perch make it look like that. All that in consideration looking in person and the dealership there was nothing abnormal. That’s the picture of it broken. Btw update they aren’t going to cover it and since it’s not covered they don’t want the part, so I can have it or they just scrap it. That’s how it’s handled. So let’s not figure out what’s going on, brush it under the scrap pile.

End of story, hope one day there can be more of a transparent data tracking on these types of issues to help save lives and have better customer satisfaction and success.

Stay safe Raptor fam!

Attachments

• 38687341-65D6-4EC2-AD76-3C5A97E8D746.jpeg
    38687341-65D6-4EC2-AD76-3C5A97E8D746.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 18

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the cover on the fox shock and that the coil spring is smaller diameter on the perch make it look like that. All that in consideration looking in person and the dealership there was nothing abnormal. That’s the picture of it broken. Btw update they aren’t going to cover it and since it’s not covered they don’t want the part, so I can have it or they just scrap it. That’s how it’s handled. So let’s not figure out what’s going on, brush it under the scrap pile.
As said earlier it should go to some metallurgical program at the local college. I'm sure they can figure it out

Small Town Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne I just noticed something.....my 2019 had a yellow B sticker on the coil, whereas it looks like the older non live valve coils had a blue B sticker. When Ford did the repair, my replacement coil has a blue B sticker. Are they the same part number?