A/c actuators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will be keeping my eye on this...
I have a 2011 that I need to replace the blend actuator for drivers side on.
I have part, but see so many different ways of getting at it to replace it.
Removing the center radio/display/hvac controls; side of console; underdash; and even taking the center section of the console with shifter out to get at things.
Getting warmer here now and know I will have to get at it soon.
Hate to start pulling things apart that I don't have to.
Always worry about breaking plastic tabs and fasteners, hate to disassemble anything not needed.
My stuff all works good EXCEPT when using the dual climate, the AC on the drivers side still blows hot.
The passenger side does what it is supposed to, blows cold.
Thinking that is the drivers blend door.
Just don't know best way to get at stuff.
If anyone has any info or advice it will be appreciated.
Then I can get to important stuff like my wore out shocks:)
THANKS

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Here’s the calibration procedure for reference:

NOTE: The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry out calibration, carry out the following steps.

1. Remove Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 15 for at least one minute.

NOTE: When the ignition switch is switched to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.

2. Reinstall SJB fuse 15. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct mode door actuator operation.
Hmm, I did not do this when I replaced mine, but it is obvious I need to because when I turn in my AC I now have to go to the screen and put it on a mode or it will actuate over and over until I select something

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be keeping my eye on this...
I have a 2011 that I need to replace the blend actuator for drivers side on.
I have part, but see so many different ways of getting at it to replace it.
Removing the center radio/display/hvac controls; side of console; underdash; and even taking the center section of the console with shifter out to get at things.
Getting warmer here now and know I will have to get at it soon.
Hate to start pulling things apart that I don't have to.
Always worry about breaking plastic tabs and fasteners, hate to disassemble anything not needed.
My stuff all works good EXCEPT when using the dual climate, the AC on the drivers side still blows hot.
The passenger side does what it is supposed to, blows cold.
Thinking that is the drivers blend door.
Just don't know best way to get at stuff.
If anyone has any info or advice it will be appreciated.
Then I can get to important stuff like my wore out shocks:)
THANKS
Check out post #8 here as well as this thread. The first will get you started on the right path of what to look for on youtube when it comes to do it yourself videos. The second thread was also very helpful and provided plenty of information. It does take a while to do your first time, but was worth saving the $1,500-$3,000 quotes I have read about from dealerships. Good luck and yes, removing the front seats is in your future.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am just going to have to tear into it I guess.
Thanks for the links too !!!
Still not entirely sure what I am after, or where to go yet.
See some stuff saying to open up the side of the console for my "condition" (hot air coming out on drivers side with AC on, but cold AC on passenger side like it is supposed to).
Where others open up the dash and remove radio.
I have not listened for the tell tale clicking yet, maybe that will at least point me in the right direction in that regard.
None of it looks like fun though.
Appreciate the help !!

Thanks again

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just going to have to tear into it I guess.
Thanks for the links too !!!
Still not entirely sure what I am after, or where to go yet.
See some stuff saying to open up the side of the console for my "condition" (hot air coming out on drivers side with AC on, but cold AC on passenger side like it is supposed to).
Where others open up the dash and remove radio.
I have not listened for the tell tale clicking yet, maybe that will at least point me in the right direction in that regard.
None of it looks like fun though.
Appreciate the help !!

Thanks again
I had the clicking for numerous years before the gears finally completely sheared off inside the actuator and it finally gave out. FYI, my A/C worked fine on the passenger side when it came to cooling, but the driver side was a sauna with only hot air coming out once it finally sheared off. Since I live in OK, living without A/C wasn't an option. Anyway, the actuator you want to replace is above the transmission tunnel near the fire wall in that little gap that is large enough for a small hand to fit under. IIRC the actuator behind the radio is only if you have issues with the passenger side cooling.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Appreciate that
Sounds like you just saved me from tearing the radio and dash out for no reason, and probably breaking plastic and tabs off a bunch of plastic trim
THANKS AGAIN

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After seeing the reset procedure, tried that. No different.
Checking under the console I see one actuator hooked to a lever set up.
Easy pop off trim panel on front side of console.
WAY easier than most of the videos I see taking rocker trim, carpet, seat and entire console out.
Doesn't look like real easy access, but better than what I was imagining if this is actually the one I need to replace.
Unhooked the lower pivot point thinking I could move it and see if things cooled off through the upper vents, but that did not work.
Will look a little deeper when I get more time, but hoping this is what I am after.
Not looking forward to trying to get at it, but not as bad as some of the videos.
20220510_170446_resized.jpg20220510_170454_resized.jpg20220510_170504_resized.jpg20220510_170845_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20220510_170504_resized.jpg
    20220510_170504_resized.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 2

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After seeing the reset procedure, tried that. No different.
Checking under the console I see one actuator hooked to a lever set up.
Easy pop off trim panel on front side of console.
WAY easier than most of the videos I see taking rocker trim, carpet, seat and entire console out.
Doesn't look like real easy access, but better than what I was imagining if this is actually the one I need to replace.
Unhooked the lower pivot point thinking I could move it and see if things cooled off through the upper vents, but that did not work.
Will look a little deeper when I get more time, but hoping this is what I am after.
Not looking forward to trying to get at it, but not as bad as some of the videos.
View attachment 354072View attachment 354073View attachment 354074View attachment 354076
plaase dont bend the panel like that. just pull it off. theres a few clips that hold it in place after you pull the 7mm bolt.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I figured that out eventually.
I did end up taking it all the way off.
There wasn't any bolt holding it on.
I will have to see if there is one missing.
Had no idea it was so easy at first.
Thought I was only going to have a small amount of access, then it popped off the rest of the way.
I was glad it popped off and didn't break.
Part of the reasons I am not thrilled about taking anything apart I don't need to.
Have been fearing taking the dash, radio, and trim around there off unnecessarily thinking I might snap a tab or clip off.