How To Blend Door Actuator Replacement with Part Numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one on the bottom behind the lower console is the one you need to change, it is by far in THE worst spot.
I had to completely remove the center lower console, shifter, remove the front 2 seats, pull back the carpet to the rear, contort myself upside down and then I was able to reach the tiny 8mm bolt with 1/4” socket, 2 extensions and a mirror. I think I remember cutting a small piece out too.. took me 2 days to complete it

Not good. Was hoping that wasn't the case. How did you know for sure, out of curiousity? Would suck to go through everything and find out thats not the problem.

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not good. Was hoping that wasn't the case. How did you know for sure, out of curiousity? Would suck to go through everything and find out thats not the problem.

T3amfish is correct. You'll want to remove everything inside the interior in order to get to it. You can find shortcuts to the repair on YouTube, but I preferred to do it by creating the least amount of damage to the OEM components. I will note that I also ended up cutting a small piece out too, as it would have been all but impossible to R&R the actuator without doing so, IMHO.

FWIW, I knew mine was bad for sure when it would only blow out hot air on the driver side of the truck. It would even blow hot air with the A/C on full blast.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T3amfish is correct. You'll want to remove everything inside the interior in order to get to it. You can find shortcuts to the repair on YouTube, but I preferred to do it by creating the least amount of damage to the OEM components. I will note that I also ended up cutting a small piece out too, as it would have been all but impossible to R&R the actuator without doing so, IMHO.

FWIW, I knew mine was bad for sure when it would only blow out hot air on the driver side of the truck. It would even blow hot air with the A/C on full blast.

Just to be clear, mines locked in defrost mode. Temp is adjusting is fine as well as driver/passenger temp control.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok this mystery must be solved.

I can say for 100% certain that the top center blend door motor, that is accessed by removing (or at least unbolting and sliding back) the center console, center stack cover, and nav display (I guess radio if no nav) to get the front screw and through the glove box opening to reach the rear screw, controls passenger side temp blend hot/cold. If it clicks and you can reach up there through the glovebox opening (just push the stop tabs in and it'll flop down), put your hand on it and feel it clicking AND/OR if your passenger is whining because it's blowing hot air when set to LO or cold air when set to HI and won't adjust, that's the one to replace. #11 in the picture below from Tasca Parts, for a 2013, part #DL3Z-19E616-A, note it's the exact same for the lower one. Also note this view is from the driver's side front as if you're sitting on the air cleaner, and so the top #11 is placed pretty much in the right spot:
Capture.JPG
Reading the description, it says "With dual zone auto ac, temp", which makes sense, it controls temp by moving the door in there to either allow colder (evap side) or hotter (heater core side) air through. And since it's pictured above and below the heater box I would THINK that the lowermost one that's nearly impossible to get to would control driver's side temp. The post starting on page 2 from @killswitch engage supports this and it definitely is as pictured, below the heater box.
Capture2.JPG
The description for #12 says "With dual zone auto ac, defrost/panel/floor". But where does that little bastard live? The view puts it up by the #8 plenum, which says "Without dual zone ac" so we don't have that. Is it at the far right in this pic, so far driver's side end of the heater box? As some have described as being next to the accelerator pedal?

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, mines locked in defrost mode. Temp is adjusting is fine as well as driver/passenger temp control.
Was it a Motorcraft part? Might be DOA, even if Motorcraft, just curious. Can you pull it out, plug in the connector, and see if it moves at all when you turn on the ignition? Given the way mine clicked, I think they do a sweep when ignition is turned to "on", before starting, to like set their position. And then move your controls to vent or floor and see if it moves at all?

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this mystery must be solved.

I can say for 100% certain that the top center blend door motor, that is accessed by removing (or at least unbolting and sliding back) the center console, center stack cover, and nav display (I guess radio if no nav) to get the front screw and through the glove box opening to reach the rear screw, controls passenger side temp blend hot/cold. If it clicks and you can reach up there through the glovebox opening (just push the stop tabs in and it'll flop down), put your hand on it and feel it clicking AND/OR if your passenger is whining because it's blowing hot air when set to LO or cold air when set to HI and won't adjust, that's the one to replace. #11 in the picture below from Tasca Parts, for a 2013, part #DL3Z-19E616-A, note it's the exact same for the lower one. Also note this view is from the driver's side front as if you're sitting on the air cleaner, and so the top #11 is placed pretty much in the right spot:
View attachment 164012
Reading the description, it says "With dual zone auto ac, temp", which makes sense, it controls temp by moving the door in there to either allow colder (evap side) or hotter (heater core side) air through. And since it's pictured above and below the heater box I would THINK that the lowermost one that's nearly impossible to get to would control driver's side temp. The post starting on page 2 from @killswitch engage supports this and it definitely is as pictured, below the heater box.
View attachment 164013
The description for #12 says "With dual zone auto ac, defrost/panel/floor". But where does that little bastard live? The view puts it up by the #8 plenum, which says "Without dual zone ac" so we don't have that. Is it at the far right in this pic, so far driver's side end of the heater box? As some have described as being next to the accelerator pedal?

Awesome right up. Thanks man.
This does support my theory that my problem is the #8 mode selector actuator, which makes sense now since I pull that #8 out thats located near the pedal and you can actuate the door so you can hear a "flap" sound, if that helps. Can't see that being temp related. Also the part# I pulled out and also purchased matches the diagram you posted.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it a Motorcraft part? Might be DOA, even if Motorcraft, just curious. Can you pull it out, plug in the connector, and see if it moves at all when you turn on the ignition? Given the way mine clicked, I think they do a sweep when ignition is turned to "on", before starting, to like set their position. And then move your controls to vent or floor and see if it moves at all?

Correct, it is the motorcraft part. I didn't actually try it plugged in with it removed. I wasn't sure if that's screws up anything like the position. Could try.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, it is the motorcraft part. I didn't actually try it plugged in with it removed. I wasn't sure if that's screws up anything like the position. Could try.
I would try it if it was mine heh, and from there I’d check the connector for voltage, it could always be wire/connector, worst case control unit or (not sure if part of HVAC) the BCM...

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try it if it was mine heh, and from there I’d check the connector for voltage, it could always be wire/connector, worst case control unit or (not sure if part of HVAC) the BCM...
=

Kind of late but checked a few things. With actuator out it will just rotate clockwise, then rotate a little more from selecting like panel or floor. Just keeps moving into the defrost position. Also checked voltage and getting 4.9 from 2 of the terminals. Not really sure how to interpret that. Then if I select something goes from 4.8 to 4.9 probably because its in max position and keeps pushing. Sounds like control unit.

Anybody have info on control unit?

Last edited:

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20210413_143731.jpg Just wanted to show how clean it is under hear. Definitely not a wear and tear problem, just regular electronic cycling wear. Having really use this as intended.
20210413_143926.jpg