A/c actuators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked at mine a little more last night.
Took another look at the drivers side actuator.
Cycled heat to AC and that one moved and shifted like it should.
Only heat out the driver's side vent still.
Pulled the console side panel off passenger side, see what appears to be another actuator SANDWICHED between sections of the air box.
Tried cycling heat and AC a couple times, but could not see enough of that actuator to tell if it was moving or doing anything, couple taps with screwdriver then some frowns as I imagined trying to get at that actuator.
Guessing that must be the one that gets the Sawzall treatment in YouTube shortcut videos:(
Hoping this is not what I really end up needing to get at.
So many times in my life when working on something and I see something like this, it makes me want to go slap an engineer and say “You put it there, now you replace it!”

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I got both actuators today , first they are OEM , remember I am replacing the recirculation actuator and the one that controls where the air comes out ( one by gas pedal ) replaced both didn’t connect either one until both where installed first connected the one for the recirculation then the other one . Took fuse 15 out for one minute , reinstalled fuse and turn key to the on position left for 30 seconds and then turn engine on . The one that controls where the air comes out immediately went to the defrost setting and won’t change , the recirculation will not move stayed on the closed position .
Recirculation light comes on and off , radio screen touch screen for a/c all work meaning if I press max a/c goes to it , and so on , . Do you have any ideas what else could it be or if I am doing anything wrong on the process of calibration . All help is greatly appreciated .
I think at this point you should get a diagnosis before replacing any additional parts. It’s not likely a repeat actuator failure; it may be a circuit, connector, or HVAC module issue. Do you have access to ForScan? Pulling DTCs will provide some direction.

OP
OP
tonyraptor

tonyraptor

Reaction score
I think at this point you should get a diagnosis before replacing any additional parts. It’s not likely a repeat actuator failure; it may be a circuit, connector, or HVAC module issue. Do you have access to ForScan? Pulling DTCs will provide some direction.
Yes I can pull codes , let me get them and will get back to you . Thanks

OP
OP
tonyraptor

tonyraptor

Reaction score
So this are the codes I get
Hi , this where the codes I got , and the video is a noid test of the harness that goes to the distribution air actuator ( the one by Gas pedal ) , you can see the only ones that really get power are the ones that are working at this point defrost and feet , the one that are for the front a/c vent is almost no power ( not enough to move actuator ) , and on the scanner when I press the recirculation button it doesn’t recognize it , it never changes to on ( the light turns on and off on the a/c head ) what I am thinking that no power is getting to the actuator . ( didn’t do the noid test on the recirculation actuator because I couldn’t reach the harness and at the same time press the recirculation . the person that was helping me needed to leave . But l can assume from what the scanner show that there is no power to that actuator . Now I need to understand what does that mean bad a/c head , module or broken wire . What do you think

Attachments

• 0BEA421F-6527-4BC9-A5F4-3DF6598FD417.jpeg
    0BEA421F-6527-4BC9-A5F4-3DF6598FD417.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 14
  • 7966A036-27A8-4F61-B4C8-C1F7B47FE0C2.jpeg
    7966A036-27A8-4F61-B4C8-C1F7B47FE0C2.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 8210DE78-79E8-4021-9063-C16970EADE25.jpeg
    8210DE78-79E8-4021-9063-C16970EADE25.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 11
  • CDC5AC53-1208-49A7-BD0E-E4BC48FE040F.jpeg
    CDC5AC53-1208-49A7-BD0E-E4BC48FE040F.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 9DC72F0F-2485-4ABA-AC78-85FD6ABA8C37.jpeg
    9DC72F0F-2485-4ABA-AC78-85FD6ABA8C37.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 14

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked at mine a little more last night.
Took another look at the drivers side actuator.
Cycled heat to AC and that one moved and shifted like it should.
Only heat out the driver's side vent still.
Pulled the console side panel off passenger side, see what appears to be another actuator SANDWICHED between sections of the air box.
Tried cycling heat and AC a couple times, but could not see enough of that actuator to tell if it was moving or doing anything, couple taps with screwdriver then some frowns as I imagined trying to get at that actuator.
Guessing that must be the one that gets the Sawzall treatment in YouTube shortcut videos:(
Hoping this is not what I really end up needing to get at.
That's the one I replaced on mine. Could they have found a worse spot to put it??????

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's the one I replaced on mine. Could they have found a worse spot to put it??????

Was your problem like what I have going on?
Cold AC out passenger side and only heat on drivers?

Does look like a pain to replace if so.
Any tips or tricks?
Did you have to tear a lot apart?
THANKS again

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After looking at the Rock Auto site, some more YouTube videos, and Tasca's schematic, wondering if it is the one behind the glove box???
#12 on the diagram.
If so, I will need to order another...

Attachments

• heatbox.jpg
    heatbox.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
tonyraptor

tonyraptor

Reaction score
After looking at the Rock Auto site, some more YouTube videos, and Tasca's schematic, wondering if it is the one behind the glove box???
#12 on the diagram.
If so, I will need to order another...
The one behind your glove box is for the recirculation .