4HI question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whipplesaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when you're in 4 wheel drive you're not supposed to make any turns at all? Just want to make sure I understand the full impact of that statement.

Banned
Reaction score
Not when on a hard surface.

When on a loose surface, turn all ya want.

whipplesaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not when on a hard surface.

When on a loose surface, turn all ya want.

Ah right on. Does this apply on wet hard surfaces as well or only dry? I ask because over here in the UK it's almost always wet roads in the morning, and if I wanted to go 4 HI for more traction, would that be a bad thing?

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It says in the owners manual what speeds are ok to shift into 4WD... Mine said it in a lil packet just about the Raptor I personally haven't shifted into 4WD going over 20 but once into 4WD goes nuts :party36:

Banned
Reaction score
Ah right on. Does this apply on wet hard surfaces as well or only dry? I ask because over here in the UK it's almost always wet roads in the morning, and if I wanted to go 4 HI for more traction, would that be a bad thing?

Not really. Again, straight lines, it's not that bad. So if its super slick and you need to accelerate from a stop quickly, I guess it's not the worst thing to do, but in my opinion, just stay in 2wd on pavement. Unless its glare ice lol.

whipplesaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. Again, straight lines, it's not that bad. So if its super slick and you need to accelerate from a stop quickly, I guess it's not the worst thing to do, but in my opinion, just stay in 2wd on pavement. Unless its glare ice lol.

Alright, thanks for the tip, buddy. If I'm ever in that situation, I'll just make sure I do it very slowly.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why you do not want to be in 4WD on dry pavement is because both axles are locked together in 4WD. All four wheels travel at different speeds (distances) when turning. On a slippery surface the tires can slip & that allows them to travel at different speeds (distances) without problems. On dry pavement, they can’t slip that easily so you end up putting a lot of stress on the driveline components. If you’re in 4WD on dry pavement and turn (especially sharp) you will feel all sorts of binding and feel some popping as the tires slip / skid. If you keep doing it you will probably break something.

Yes, using 4WD to pull a boat out is fine. Just drive straight ahead, get the boat out of the water. Let off the gas, shift into 2WD and away you go.

The problem with shifting into 4WD at a high speed is that the axles have to suddenly accelerate to road speed and engage the hubs all at the same time. If it’s cold out the lube in the axles is relatively stiff, so bringing everything up to speed can be difficult. This isn’t that big a deal when it’s warm out.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
you can shift into 4 hi at any speed.

I could be wrong since I haven't read a manual in while but It use to be 55 mph was max speed directed by ford to go into 4x4 safely without causing damage to components. Ill have to look to see if still is true.