4HI question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbax2000

Reaction score
I've never had a locker and won't have a Raptor for a week and a half or so. Can you lock the rear diff while in 2wd? Seems like tht would be a good solution for Haloseventy8 since he's just looking for a little extra traction on wet pavement.

Bax

connwine

Reaction score
Not really. Again, straight lines, it's not that bad. So if its super slick and you need to accelerate from a stop quickly, I guess it's not the worst thing to do, but in my opinion, just stay in 2wd on pavement. Unless its glare ice lol.

I live at high elevation in Northern California and we get flooding all the way down the hill to access the valley. It is a paved road but sometimes there is over an inch or 2 of water in many spots. Are you saying I shouldn't use 4HI under these conditions?

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live at high elevation in Northern California and we get flooding all the way down the hill to access the valley. It is a paved road but sometimes there is over an inch or 2 of water in many spots. Are you saying I shouldn't use 4HI under these conditions?

I wouldnt use 4WD. Your traction will probably be good enough to cause some handling & driveline issues. Unless your hydroplaning (sp?), in which case 4WD wont help you because your tires have lost traction.

Banned
Reaction score

I personally wouldn't. No need IMO.
I've also driven in water after flooding, more than 2". Never needed 4x4 once.

Unless you're driving on rocks that are constantly underwater and have weeds on em haha.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is very rare that I have to use 4wd... The traction control logic in the Raptor is simply amazing.

I made a believer out of my wife the other night. While coming home I was doing my normal driving in the ditches through the icy snow mix.. I stopped at stop sign with both passenger side tires in the snow and ice.. As soon as I hit the gas the passenger side tire started slipping, and the traction control kicked in. It applied the brake on spinning wheel and allowing the truck to gain speed.. Granted it was not the fastest way, but my wife noticed the truck was able to get going..

-Greg

Banned
Reaction score
I've never driven a 4wd with traction control. Would be interesting.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is fun in the snow to be able to use the 3 ton momentum and the Raptors great traction control to get around. It also might be the duratracs in the snow..

-Greg

Banned
Reaction score
I've hated trac control I fwd vehicles ice driven. So annoying haha. Glad the ranger doesn't have it.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
its the duratracs. My ride is choppy as hell with traction control. I rare use 4wd unless its like a pure ice incline or deep mud water ect.
But this comes from a person who enjoys breaking his 4wd. one should learn eh

I drive M mode, traction control completely off, 2wd on icy/snow/slush. I feel i have more control. every time i used traction control it ****** me over. Worst case scenario with my way of doing it is pulling the rear lock when i start fish tailing. that does the job and on we go!!

Banned
Reaction score
its the duratracs. My ride is choppy as hell with traction control. I rare use 4wd unless its like a pure ice incline or deep mud water ect.
But this comes from a person who enjoys breaking his 4wd. one should learn eh

I drive M mode, traction control completely off, 2wd on icy/snow/slush. I feel i have more control. every time i used traction control it ****** me over. Worst case scenario with my way of doing it is pulling the rear lock when i start fish tailing. that does the job and on we go!!

yeah, i think if you aren't used to it, at first will make things way worse in terms of vehicle control.

but for people who are used to it, or dont know what they're doing behind the wheel its great.

more fun without it though.