2nd Gen Ford Raptor vs Ram TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
hey hey now. Let's clarify:

1. Gen 1 raptors get better MPGs than what the TRX spec sheet says. SCABs are at a real disadvantage with regards to range due to the smaller than SCREW tanks.

2. I am a big fan of the 6.2s. They sound awesome when revving out. One of the SVC guys has a gen1 lovingly nicknamed "the cheeto". That truck sounds amazing banging off the limiter.

for reference. when we're on Baja runs, we like to see the screw trucks bring one 5 gallon can. We like to see the scab trucks bring 2.

I have yet to be on a trip where there was a truck that didn't need to use the extra 5-10 gallons of fuel on multiple days.

It really depends on the driver, but I actually prefer to have 2 cans even though I have a screw.

I'm looking forward to eventually switching to a 60-gallon fuel cell.

D

Deleted member 17706

The only way money enters the equation is that if I bought a TRX, I'd pay more money for less capability. Capability as relates to how I use my truck

Lol that’s why I asked you what you were driving 10 years ago because I find it comical that you can sit here and act like your losing capability on a truck that has more performance capability of any full size truck produced outside of a Raptor. I am not a fan of the TRX and do think Ram should have put a 36 gallon tank in it. But it’s amazing to see how far high performance off-road vehicles have came in just a decade. I have owned numerous vehicles that made less than 300 hp on a V6 that got 14-16 mpg. Lol so whatever you owned could not have been that far off from the TRX unless you were in a Prius :p

I was going to point out what @zombiekiller just noted in the post above me. The 26 gallon tank does limit a SCAB Gen 1, but they still are able to get to wherever they need to—just bring extra fuel. I understand that the stock Gen 1s have a bigger fuel tank than the TRX, but the fuel economy of the two is nearly the same. Also, if you switch out the stock tires on a Gen 2 to a load range E and carry 600 plus lbs of gear on a Baja expedition trip, your fuel economy will be in the low teens and be close to a Gen 1/ TRX.

And for the record, I have spent time in the Arctic Circle in Alaska and Canada, which is more remote than what you will find in Baja. I never had a problem in my Gen 1, but have had to use gas cans on a few occasions. Outside of a diesel, low teens is what your going to get in a off-road vehicle while out off-roading.

D

Deleted member 17706

hey hey now. Let's clarify:

1. Gen 1 raptors get better MPGs than what the TRX spec sheet says. SCABs are at a real disadvantage with regards to range due to the smaller than SCREW tanks.

2. I am a big fan of the 6.2s. They sound awesome when revving out. One of the SVC guys has a gen1 lovingly nicknamed "the cheeto". That truck sounds amazing banging off the limiter.

for reference. when we're on Baja runs, we like to see the screw trucks bring one 5 gallon can. We like to see the scab trucks bring 2.

I have yet to be on a trip where there was a truck that didn't need to use the extra 5-10 gallons of fuel on multiple days.

It really depends on the driver, but I actually prefer to have 2 cans even though I have a screw.

I'm looking forward to eventually switching to a 60-gallon fuel cell.

Gen 1s have never been able to consistently get 15-16 mpg. I don’t know how Ford was able to get those numbers passed and on a window sticker. The thing about V8s is that what you see is what you get. The MPG on my Gen 1 never changed much whether I was driving on the highway or off-roading. When you SC a Gen 1 and have 600-700 hp the MPG numbers don’t change much from a stock Gen 1.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol that’s why I asked you what you were driving 10 years ago because I find it comical that you can sit here and act like your losing capability on a truck that has more performance capability of any full size truck produced outside of a Raptor...

You still don't get it, even though you just paraphrased my point. Talk about comical. I had a V8 powered 3/4 ton with a 35 gallon tank. With at least half again the range of the TRX, maybe more. But that entirely misses the point. Today I chose between the options available today. The Raptor beats the TRX hands down for my needs. Today. I literally plan my trips around the range of the vehicle. More range means that I can get farther off the beaten path before I have to head toward civilization. That has value to me. Choosing the TRX over the Raptor costs me more money for less capability. What's so hard to understand about that?

D

Deleted member 17706

You still don't get it, even though you just paraphrased my point. Talk about comical. I had a V8 powered 3/4 ton with a 35 gallon tank. With at least half again the range of the TRX, maybe more. But that entirely misses the point. Today I chose between the options available today. The Raptor beats the TRX hands down for my needs. Today. I literally plan my trips around the range of the vehicle. More range means that I can get farther off the beaten path before I have to head toward civilization. That has value to me. Choosing the TRX over the Raptor costs me more money for less capability. What's so hard to understand about that?

Well, sorry for talking past one another. I didn’t intend for my original comments to be directed to you solely. But I have read time and time again of people complaining about fuel economy and I think that is a stupid point because I don’t look at a Shelby GT500 and complain about what MPG does it get. The TRX is a specialty vehicle that is designed around performance. The fuel economy is not better than a Gen 2, but it’s on par with a Gen 1 and I never had a problem traveling across North America with my Gen 1. Is more fuel range better? Heck yea. But whatever other vehicle on the market gives you a 700 hp truck that can go off-road? Again, I don’t think a TRX is superior to a Raptor, but it’s the closest thing that can actually compete with one.

I had dinner with the family tonight and a family member bought a TRX at msrp for around $75k. So he doesn’t have the launch edition, but it is spec similar to a Gen 2. So we will be racing and comparing vehicles once he gets it. And just to be clear the TRX will have a 33 gallon tank—that’s only 3 less than the 36 gallon that has been on the Gen 1 and Gen 2. So 330-375 miles on a tank should be quite realistic. With two 5 gallons cans, you should easily be over 400-450 miles of fuel, which ought to easily get you wherever you need to go. So yes, I understand that you want to maximize where you can go. But the way you and others have talked, the capability and financial difference is not as vast as you all make it to be. Some Gen 2 owners in stock form are lucky to get 15-16 MPG.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
id be interested to hear the real hiway mpg on it. Im not buying that it will get anywhere near as good as a gen1 did. 300 more hp , 800 lbs heavier..... not a prayer. Unless its from the same bser's in here that claim their gen2 gets 20 at 80 mph

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, sorry for talking past one another. I didn’t intend for my original comments to be directed to you solely. But I have read time and time again of people complaining about fuel economy and I think that is a stupid point because I don’t look at a Shelby GT500 and complain about what MPG does it get. The TRX is a specialty vehicle that is designed around performance. The fuel economy is not better than a Gen 2, but it’s on par with a Gen 1 and I never had a problem traveling across North America with my Gen 1. Is more fuel range better? Heck yea. But whatever other vehicle on the market gives you a 700 hp truck that can go off-road? Again, I don’t think a TRX is superior to a Raptor, but it’s the closest thing that can actually compete with one.

I had dinner with the family tonight and a family member bought a TRX at msrp for around $75k. So he doesn’t have the launch edition, but it is spec similar to a Gen 2. So we will be racing and comparing vehicles once he gets it. And just to be clear the TRX will have a 33 gallon tank—that’s only 3 less than the 36 gallon that has been on the Gen 1 and Gen 2. So 330-375 miles on a tank should be quite realistic. With two 5 gallons cans, you should easily be over 400-450 miles of fuel, which ought to easily get you wherever you need to go. So yes, I understand that you want to maximize where you can go. But the way you and others have talked, the capability and financial difference is not as vast as you all make it to be. Some Gen 2 owners in stock form are lucky to get 15-16 MPG.

just to touch on some of your misinformation, if your family member bought a TRX at a 75k msrp that is a bare bones TRX. You saying it is spec similar to a Gen 2 would only be true if it was a bare bones 801A Gen 2. 75k gets you a fully loaded Gen2 where as the very starting point for a TRX is 70k

D

Deleted member 17706

just to touch on some of your misinformation, if your family member bought a TRX at a 75k msrp that is a bare bones TRX. You saying it is spec similar to a Gen 2 would only be true if it was a bare bones 801A Gen 2. 75k gets you a fully loaded Gen2 where as the very starting point for a TRX is 70k

Yea, a $75k TRX does not have the same interior features as an 802a Raptor, but the Raptor does not have the same engine performance as a $75k TRX. The argument can be made from both ways o_O

I was just trying to say that his TRX was spec more in line with Gen 2 pricing—not spec with similar options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
Yea, a $75k TRX does not have the same interior features as an 802a Raptor, but the Raptor does not have the same engine performance as a $75k TRX. The argument can be made from both ways o_O

I was just trying to say that his TRX was spec more in line with Gen 2 pricing—not spec with similar options.
Kinda like comparing and apple to a banana ?