2nd Gen Ford Raptor vs Ram TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When a vehicle has 55% more HP than the other, I would say the other vehicle comes across as lacking HP. Is 450 HP a bunch of power? Yea, it is. But that doesn’t change the fact that one vehicle has a lot more power than the other.

If all you're looking at is HP though, it makes more sense to compare base Raptor at $60K (or whatever) rather a loaded Raptor at $75k. None of that $15k is going towards the engine. So you're paying $15k for the extra HP of the TRX...is it worth it? It's a stupid question because no one really buys a vehicle for the HP alone, even your family member. If you just wanted the power, you would just buy the engine alone (taking it to extreme)

Point blank period? Mhm, the TRX will do 0-60 a FULL second faster (if not more) when compared to ANY stock Gen 2 Raptor. That doesn’t sound like the same truck now does it?

I didn't take the comment to mean the vehicles were identical. The point was that base model for both truck model was the right place, or best place, to do comparison. Obviously, everyone is going to add options depending on what priorities matter to them most, but base model seems the most generic.

The interior of the TRX may be more like a base Raptor, but it has a SC with 250 more HP—which is what your paying for, but you can’t seem to grasp that. To make a Gen 1 into a 700 HP beast, you are spending close to $10k on parts to do everything right (fuel pump upgrade, oil pump gears, SC, throttle body, and so on). So instead of paying for the $10k 802a package on the Gen 2, your $10k is going towards the SC and the 707 HP on the TRX.

That comparison only makes sense if someone has a $75K budget they are trying to stay under. The reality is that if someone is interested in the upgrade goodies for a Raptor, they likely want the same in a TRX, and would pay the extra for it. If you want the extras, the likely case is that you can get a load Raptor and save $10k (or whatever) or you can get the loaded TRX. Yes, you can get the base TRX and save the $10k as well, but few are going to go with that option. We see the same think on the Raptor, it's why dealers don't keep many base models in stock.

The Raptor is more capable off-road, has better fuel range, and offers more technology at $75k than the TRX, but some people don’t care about those things and don’t want their truck sounding like a weed eater as they hit the gas. This is why I said the argument can be made either way as people prioritize different things in a $75k truck. My family member that ordered his TRX has his own race cars and races in the ARCA series. He cares about one thing: going fast on pavement and the satisfaction of being able to smoke 99.99% of trucks on the road today. Going off-road and having fancy technology options does not appeal to him whatsoever. So it goes.

I would think your family member is more of an exception than the rule. Few people are going to prioritize HP well above cost and every other aspect of the truck to that extent. Since there are no more Gen 2s made, I guess we won't be able to compare sales of loaded Gen 2s to base TRXs out there, but I would be shocked if 2021 base TRX sales comes close to the 2020 Gen 2 loaded sales. I actually wouldn't be surprised if 2020 base Raptors outsell base TRXs.

D

Deleted member 17706

If all you're looking at is HP though, it makes more sense to compare base Raptor at $60K (or whatever) rather a loaded Raptor at $75k. None of that $15k is going towards the engine. So you're paying $15k for the extra HP of the TRX...is it worth it? It's a stupid question because no one really buys a vehicle for the HP alone, even your family member. If you just wanted the power, you would just buy the engine alone (taking it to extreme)

I didn't take the comment to mean the vehicles were identical. The point was that base model for both truck model was the right place, or best place, to do comparison. Obviously, everyone is going to add options depending on what priorities matter to them most, but base model seems the most generic.

That comparison only makes sense if someone has a $75K budget they are trying to stay under. The reality is that if someone is interested in the upgrade goodies for a Raptor, they likely want the same in a TRX, and would pay the extra for it. If you want the extras, the likely case is that you can get a load Raptor and save $10k (or whatever) or you can get the loaded TRX. Yes, you can get the base TRX and save the $10k as well, but few are going to go with that option. We see the same think on the Raptor, it's why dealers don't keep many base models in stock.

I would think your family member is more of an exception than the rule. Few people are going to prioritize HP well above cost and every other aspect of the truck to that extent. Since there are no more Gen 2s made, I guess we won't be able to compare sales of loaded Gen 2s to base TRXs out there, but I would be shocked if 2021 base TRX sales comes close to the 2020 Gen 2 loaded sales. I actually wouldn't be surprised if 2020 base Raptors outsell base TRXs.

The base TRX is actually $70k. Your kidding yourself if you don’t think the engine and SC makes up for the difference between that and a base Gen 2 at $60k. The most expensive Gen 1 that you could buy was $59-61k depending on options and that had no more technology than a base Gen 2 or a TRX.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The base TRX is actually $70k. Your kidding yourself if you don’t think the engine and SC makes up for the difference between that and a base Gen 2 at $60k. The most expensive Gen 1 that you could buy was $59-61k depending on options and that had no more technology than a base Gen 2 or a TRX.

I didn't say that people aren't going to opt for a TRX over a Raptor. I'm saying that you either compare base to base or loaded to loaded since these are really the choices people are going to make. Very few are going to weigh a loaded Raptor to a base TRX.

As for Gen 1 prices, it's not relevant, since you can't buy a new Gen 1 anymore, and inflation would need to factor in. Really if Gen 1 is an option in someone's decision, than it would be used, and you're going to then factor in options for used Gen 2, as well as modification potential.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very few are going to weigh a loaded Raptor to a base TRX.

This is exactly right. Loaded Raptor has too much techy crap for me. Why would I buy a TRX loaded with that crap? And vice versa. Folks who like the tech would never buy a base anything. The only reason to compare base to loaded is to bolster a weak argument. :)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is exactly right. Loaded Raptor has too much techy crap for me. Why would I buy a TRX loaded with that crap? And vice versa. Folks who like the tech would never buy a base anything. The only reason to compare base to loaded is to bolster a weak argument. :)

Actually.....when it comes to somewhat “niche” vehicles that also have a very active & HUGE aftermarket support along w/ hobbyist activities to go along w/ it (whether it be autocross, drag racing, Baja, mudding, over landing, standard off-roading etc) - there are many people who KNOW they’re going to blow a bunch of $$$ on the vehicle & throwing a bunch of aftermarket mods/accessories on it & guys w/ deeper pockets may be doing some heavier modding/fabrication

If you’re gonna be modding, gutting & chopping up a new vehicle- and you’re a performance enthusiast- all ya want is the basic mechanical stuff potentially

when I was hunting for a 2020 replacement Raptor I didn’t want an 802a truck b/c I didn’t wanna pay a dime over msrp (all 802a’s I could locate were asking over), I don’t like some of the nonsense tech options like push button start & was trying to avoid sunroof, ideally wanted an 801a - which I found, however the dealer I went to had only 1 other truck that was a cloth seat base 800a, & when I called to come down check it available & make an offer, my heart sank initially when sales Mgr said- “oh well lemme check which one we have left we only had 2 & one sold last night” - I automatically assumed the 801a w/ leather was the grey truck sold - NOPE - my lead foot 801a was still sitting there, but the magnetic 800a base strippy truck was sold......to an NFL player who was having local custom shop go nuts on it w/ custom leather interior/stereo/mid travel shocks/Lights etc etc etc

so there ya go

codeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting that Ford has shit quality :) I thought RAM was bad when I purchased a 2020 RAM Limited, but then I bought this 2020 Raptor and holy **** is this thing a load of cheap junk. Not sure why RAM has any worse of a reputation for quality, my experience with the latest year trucks shows me the opposite that Ford's quality and engineering is worse than RAM by a long shot. I would definitely give it to Ford though, for creating a much more balanced truck in terms of comfort and features for every day driving. I also enjoy the simplicity of the controls and screen layout etc. The RAM is ridiculously designed for something you're driving with all the touchscreen crap, and the seating position and foot placement I don't find any real thought put into the RAM's design.

IMO - the Raptor is an overall more balanced product, especially for every day use. Quality control, and use of cheap components is terrible however. The RAM uses better quality materials throughout, but isn't as well balanced and I don't find the driving position as ergonomic and well thought out. However, the ride quality on the RAM trucks is night and day better and more refined than the Raptor. The Raptor feels like riding in a ******* wagon by comparison, though at the same time nimble and lighter more like a sports car with an overly stiff suspension and a pack of untuned leaf springs in the rear.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you’re gonna be modding, gutting & chopping up a new vehicle- and you’re a performance enthusiast- all ya want is the basic mechanical stuff potentially

Sure. That guy is going to be comparing base to base when looking at truck models, not base to loaded. That was the point. Otherwise who do want the loaded features are going to compare loaded to loaded. There aren't likely who would want, or need, to give up loaded options for the sake of horsepower.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting that Ford has shit quality :) I thought RAM was bad when I purchased a 2020 RAM Limited, but then I bought this 2020 Raptor and holy **** is this thing a load of cheap junk. Not sure why RAM has any worse of a reputation for quality, my experience with the latest year trucks shows me the opposite that Ford's quality and engineering is worse than RAM by a long shot. I would definitely give it to Ford though, for creating a much more balanced truck in terms of comfort and features for every day driving. I also enjoy the simplicity of the controls and screen layout etc. The RAM is ridiculously designed for something you're driving with all the touchscreen crap, and the seating position and foot placement I don't find any real thought put into the RAM's design.

IMO - the Raptor is an overall more balanced product, especially for every day use. Quality control, and use of cheap components is terrible however. The RAM uses better quality materials throughout, but isn't as well balanced and I don't find the driving position as ergonomic and well thought out. However, the ride quality on the RAM trucks is night and day better and more refined than the Raptor. The Raptor feels like riding in a ******* wagon by comparison, though at the same time nimble and lighter more like a sports car with an overly stiff suspension and a pack of untuned leaf springs in the rear.
Based on your understanding of what the limited RAM is intended for versus the Raptor and where the money in the different packages is directed I'll disregard your opinion entirely.
Limited RAM = Apples Raptor = Oranges , both high end expensive trucks, but besides being 1500 size, that's where the similarities start and end.