2nd Gen Ford Raptor vs Ram TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chazzersgarage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I really want to know is how much in the way of resources is FCA going to throw in to the TRX? A $70-100K pickup is an expensive truck for the consumer. The argument can be made that there are other trucks in that price range. Fully loaded 1-tons from every maker fit into that mark. Raptors and I'm assuming TRX's are a little different from the conventional market trucks. They are designed for a niche market. The higher the cost in the market, the less participation. This makes me wonder what resources FCA is willing to dedicate to this niche. It's all fun, games and bragging rights until someone loses their ass.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I really want to know is how much in the way of resources is FCA going to throw in to the TRX?

My guess is that eight years of increasing Raptor sales and rumors that Ford was starting gen 3 got FCA off the pot and they decided that it was a real market with real customers. It will be interesting to see if they put a different engine into the platform once everyone has finished creaming over the Hellcat. The platform might be sturdy enough for a diesel, although I'm not a fan of the Cummins and their light duty diesel is a little anemic. Perhaps they should consider a TTV6. LOL

It's all fun, games and bragging rights until someone loses their ass.

I don't think they'll lose their ass. Break even, maybe. But that's a win if it draws more customers to the brand or keeps customers from jumping ship. It's what halo vehicles are all about. If they don't follow up with something more practical, I do think it will be a flash in the pan.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think they'll lose their ass. Break even, maybe. But that's a win if it draws more customers to the brand or keeps customers from jumping ship. It's what halo vehicles are all about. If they don't follow up with something more practical, I do think it will be a flash in the pan.

This. I would say profit from actual sales of the TRX is secondary to the brand image and thus additional sales for other models this brings in. You could make an argument that the bigger loser right now with the TRX introduction is not so much Ford, since they have a new F150 to draw attention, but Chevy, since they don't have anything that interesting to draw attention.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This. I would say profit from actual sales of the TRX is secondary to the brand image and thus additional sales for other models this brings in. You could make an argument that the bigger loser right now with the TRX introduction is not so much Ford, since they have a new F150 to draw attention, but Chevy, since they don't have anything that interesting to draw attention.

Hummer EV! Well that’s what they seem to be banking on and the 25 new EV’s by 2025. GM has refined and updated there truck lineup over the years. Just nothing really innovative or super exciting. Enough to try and keep up with the Jones’.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent seen a trx in person yet bought read many articles and magazines on it as well as them comparing a 2020 raptor to their 2021 trx, i find it kinda stupid to compare a new model to something thats a last model of another pickup thats a year older as well, there is no 2021 ford raptor that i know of they will make the new raptor a 2022 model if what they say is still true anyway. once the new model comes out then it will be a fair a decent comparison to the dodge, that being said i will not be selling my raptor for the dodge lol, i have a lighter truck that does 12.7@108 with just a tune and e85 mix that i drive with all the time all while running 35 inch mud tires , my braking is much better over stock as well with alcon big break kit its just awesome, plus i dig the looks of the raptor ecp with the ikon coil overs and add front bumper i personally think its the best looking truck out there to date but everyone has their own taste and opinion, i know one thing i am not paying 100k for a truck plus their markup that they will be charging.. can make this raptor faster than that dodge and still be way under what they are charging for one.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reliability part that concerns me with the TRX is the AWD system. I’ll be curious to see how that holds up the first couple of years. That will tell the true story for me.

true i heard they dont have 2wd option and thats a deal breaker for me for sure, how pickup not being able to go into 2wd is beyond me, really stupid . all that hp and cant even do a burn out lol. def a dodge fail here, i would only hope that would change in their newer models.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you're looking at is HP though, it makes more sense to compare base Raptor at $60K (or whatever) rather a loaded Raptor at $75k. None of that $15k is going towards the engine. So you're paying $15k for the extra HP of the TRX...is it worth it? It's a stupid question because no one really buys a vehicle for the HP alone, even your family member. If you just wanted the power, you would just buy the engine alone (taking it to extreme)

I didn't take the comment to mean the vehicles were identical. The point was that base model for both truck model was the right place, or best place, to do comparison. Obviously, everyone is going to add options depending on what priorities matter to them most, but base model seems the most generic.

That comparison only makes sense if someone has a $75K budget they are trying to stay under. The reality is that if someone is interested in the upgrade goodies for a Raptor, they likely want the same in a TRX, and would pay the extra for it. If you want the extras, the likely case is that you can get a load Raptor and save $10k (or whatever) or you can get the loaded TRX. Yes, you can get the base TRX and save the $10k as well, but few are going to go with that option. We see the same think on the Raptor, it's why dealers don't keep many base models in stock.

I would think your family member is more of an exception than the rule. Few people are going to prioritize HP well above cost and every other aspect of the truck to that extent. Since there are no more Gen 2s made, I guess we won't be able to compare sales of loaded Gen 2s to base TRXs out there, but I would be shocked if 2021 base TRX sales comes close to the 2020 Gen 2 loaded sales. I actually wouldn't be surprised if 2020 base Raptors outsell base TRXs.

I stopped replying to @SVTFordRaptor because on this topic he seems to lack common sense. Even down to the comment that his in laws bought a trx without caring at all about off road capabilities but rather pavent speed.....well ok if that were true the F150 supersnake smokes the trx.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are 100% correct, I dont have a ton of off road experience (3000 mi of experience to be exact), this is my first truck and I know I wanted a truck I can off road and learn , have fun at high speeds. It's the reason I bought a raptor and not a platinum F150 that has the same H.O EcoBoost. Most ppl I know that dont care about off road and want hp bought a roush SC F150 or a base 5.0 or EcoBoost and modded it to their liking.

Also you seem to be confusing about the trx trim levels , just because it's not a launch edition doesn't mean it is not a 85k-90k build. Yes the one they got on TFL has nice interior package but it is not the base level trim like you are implying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter